MAGS feb: The Iraqi Paradox

Started by |Alky|, Wed 26/02/2003 00:39:24

Previous topic - Next topic

|Alky|

.-=TIMELINE: THE IRAQI PARADOX=-
Made by Alex 'Alkaline' Cline
for the Feburary 2003 MAGS

Plot: 100 years after the apocalyptic war of 2012 that destroyed most civilization, the new government manages to fully develop time travel, because of the work of 1000 cloned Mr T's.  Only one agent can be trusted to fulfill this mission, but he's on assignment, so the duty is left to you..
Somewhere in Iraq, a secret bunker holds the information describing the location of every single unauthorized launch site in the Eastern hemisphere..
The Mission : Get this data, and then return to the future.

CONTRIBUTORS:
Earwigz-Some Characters and Backgrounds
[KaMiKaZE]-Music

Sorry I didn't post one of these earlier...
I posted it on the main thread an hour ago, but I forgot to do an announcment..

BUG REPORTS SO FAR:
Graphical Glitches in room 2 cutscene
Pilot in room 5 doesn't walk correctly

Remember to right click and 'save target as' to make the link work..
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Timosity

Looks good so far except

Spoiler
When I talked to the guy that wanted me to get the fuel for the jeep, I saw the cut scene, then talked to him again to see the other responses and you can't stop speaking to him, then if you choose the message for the cutscene again, it takes you to the cutscene screen with no people in it so you get stuck. (you forgot to add  stop to the last option in the dialog, and to stop the other bug you can add an option-off to the one that runs the cutscene)

I thought I'd better point that out, I'll play again and not talk to him twice.

Edit: Sorry to report more bugs but I noticed 2 more, when you click the petrol can with water on the knife when you are not in the right room the game crashes. This is because you used a room message not a global message, the same thing happened when I clicked the pen on the knife, I didn't even know what I was doing but this is for the same reason as the other.

Also if you use the hand to open the pen store you go to the screen but the character is not there, if you look at the door or use another click you are in the room too.

There was a few other similar bugs (with clicking items on items), you just need to go through and weed them out.

I finished it, good game, I loved the bit where roger comes in.
[close]

Good Luck

|Alky|

Yeah, I thought I fixed all those Local messages, but I guess there may have been a few partisan errors on it, or I may have not posted the latest version of it...(I think the latest version had no music, or a similar serious bug). The cutscene one is another serious one, because I had a really long way of trying to prevent that which, in short, didn't work at all. ::)
Anyway, if I made a game without bugs, I might lose my newbie status, hell, there's even bugs in my readme file.
The title music isn't in fact from Kronolog or Kamikaze, it's the Iraqi national anthem, and there's an entirely accidental but seemingly anti-US typo "the location of every single unauthorized launch site in the Western hemisphere.."
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

We're going back to the tick tock to get the boo-boo. Send for backup. - Baby's Day Out

Relight

Good grief, this game had more bugs than I care to mention.  Um, and I got no music  :(  The two downloads on the download thread confused me as well (by the way, you should edit your post and put the link here, since this is the games forum, and not in the MAGS thread).  Maybe if you fixed just a few things it would be way better!

But, I liked the character animations and some of the backgrounds, so great job on those!  (Or maybe the praise goes to Earwigz).  There's also definite potential in the story, it could have been developed just a bit more what with the time-agents thing (time-rippers, anyone?)

Now let's see if I can actually make a post without editing it.

|Alky|

Yes, as I said there's loads of bugs because they're older versions, but they have music working, which I thought was important. I've just fixed music in the latest version, and fixed maybe a third of the bugs so far. But, of course, I'm not going to post a new version, since it would have been finished after the deadline.

And yes, the best two backgrounds were done by Earwigz but the animations I had to do myself, which took along time since I've never done it before. The same applies to coding; Many of the  crash bugs are bcause I made the stupid, STUPID mistake of using Local instead of Global messages for inventory/character interactions, meaning that because I made interactions for almost everything, I had to do loads of editing..
And the story was, I admit, developed a hell of alot quicker than I would have liked to spend, but I spent one week designing a plot that I eventually didn't use, because I thought it was way too abstract. By the time I actually got started on a game, I didn't have time to learn scripting first, so I learnt it while making the game and therefore made many screw ups...

Edit: BTW Relight, the link is here...
Try, for example, the first line.. :)
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

Barcik

Halluva of bugs put aside, this is a fairly interesting game. It isn't top notch on puzzles, but what first game is? It was funny though. And I really loved the Progressive-Oriental Tune! To sum it up, an enjoyable little thingy.

P.S. Why did you choose to use Iron Maiden font for the menu?
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Nostradamus

|Alky|

I know.
But I don't have hosting anymore on tripod, so it'll take me a few days to fix it...
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

|Alky|

There

Okay, that should work..
(Thanks to Earwigz for the hosting)
Alex 'Alkaline' Cline

Nostradamus

Thanks, it works!
Downloading right now and getting ready to play...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk