Adult cartoons

Started by Calin Leafshade, Wed 15/06/2011 08:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

I found this looking for an old Guess the Movie Title film, and have a few to add.

Firstly, I take it no one has mentioned Ghost in the Shell since it's so glaringly obvious, right? The films, the series, even the new prequel is quite unlike anything I've seen.

I recently picked up King of the Hill again too, good stuff. Brickleberry is tons of fun. (OHBOYOHBOYOHBOY!)

Classics include The Critic (achgem!) and Mission Hill.

Danvzare

Considering how old this thread is, it's impossible for Rick and Morty to be in here. So I'm suggesting it here. It's a really REALLY great show. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Mandle

GRAVITY FALLS!!!

And...My new obsession from Snarky I believe:

Over The Garden Wall

Haggis

What about Monkey Dust?

Jack

Quote from: Haggis on Sat 17/09/2016 18:21:01
What about Monkey Dust?

Bit off-topic, but I haven't been able to find any since they busted that grower.

Haggis

Just saw an advert for something called Son of Zorn... does it count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnlQTi8heM

EDIT - and here's Monkey Dust - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11iczn_monkey-dust-s01e01-divx-640x352_fun

Blondbraid

Technically, studio Laikas movies are stop motion animated, but they are pretty dark and have some very intriguing and nuanced characters.
I especially recommend ParaNorman, a movie about a boy bullied for his ability to speak to the dead. It has an especially dark twist near the end.

I'd also recommend some of Max Fleicher's short movies to anyone interested in animation or vintage.
These shorts were originally made to show before feature-length movies at the cinema and intended for adults,
so they contain lots of weird and surreal imagery and were often pretty fascinating experiments in how far you could play with different shapes and elements in animations.
Here is one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNttqN1wUMY

dactylopus

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 20/06/2011 13:36:47
I recommend The Maxx. Dark and weird escapist cartoons ftw! :)
There should be an adventure game about it too ;)

Those old MTV cartoons were great.  I loved The Head.

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 17/09/2016 16:10:06
Considering how old this thread is, it's impossible for Rick and Morty to be in here. So I'm suggesting it here. It's a really REALLY great show. I'd recommend it to anyone.

It is a fantastic show, and I also recommend it!

Quote from: abstauber on Wed 15/06/2011 13:07:28
La planète sauvage

Time Masters

These were both awesome!  Also, Gandahar.  René Laloux was a genious!  And you can't go wrong working with Moebius!

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 26/09/2016 11:50:46
Technically, studio Laikas movies are stop motion animated, but they are pretty dark and have some very intriguing and nuanced characters.
I especially recommend ParaNorman, a movie about a boy bullied for his ability to speak to the dead. It has an especially dark twist near the end.

I recently saw Kubo in the theater, and I loved it.  I think their style is amazing.

And while they may be intended for children, I found Adventure Time and Steven Universe to both be very enjoyable as an adult.

Retro Wolf

I just started Rick and Morty today, not knowing anything about it. For some reason I assumed it was Nickelodeon or Disney's attempt at doing the Regular Show. I didn't realise it was Adult Swim! It's bloody hilarious, very dark humour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk