He Watches

Started by WHAM, Fri 17/06/2011 22:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Hmm... interesting, I was thinking the exact opposite - that the freeware version would come first, raise awareness of and interest in the game, and that the "proper" version would then come out a month or so later.

Tomi, are you planning on having the freeware game IDENTICAL in terms of gameplay?  That, to me, would be a bad move.  Not that major swathes of the game should be missing, but apart from having a voice pack etc there should be some extra motivation for people to want to play the full game (as with The Journey Down having extra locations, characters as puzzles as well as better graphics and a voice pack).

LTGiants2000

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 31/05/2012 20:13:00
Voice acting there will be, in the full version, of course! However I will be looking almost completely for English / Scottish voice actors as the game takes place in northern Scotland. Thus I fear an American voice actor might not fit in the crowd too well. ;)

Well here's my response to that Wham!  8-)

http://archive.org/download/mcmanusmcmanus/McManus.mp3

WHAM

Quote from: NickyNyce on Thu 31/05/2012 20:32:28
I was wondering WHAM, will you be releasing this freeware version at the same time as the commercial release?
I'm guessing the freeware version would be released after the commercial one, and if so, how far apart?

Since release is still quite some time away, I haven't thought about this too much yet. My original idea was to release both versions simultaneously, but now that you mention it, delaying the free version might not be a bad idea. Will think about it some more when the release is getting closer.

I know you make games for the pure enjoyment of doing so, but has the thought crept into your mind that the freeware release might hurt sales?

Yes, it has. However, I am rather hoping that people will prefer buying the full game if only to support the adventure gaming as a genre, as well as to be able to enjoy the extra music, sounds, voice acting, artwork, cutscenes and such.

Since this game project was started with a freeware game in mind and I got a ton of help for making it from the forums, I feel I need to give something back to the adventure gaming community and that's why I want to release the free version as well. To contrast this, I want to make the commercial version so much better that as many people as possible feel that the purchase is well worth the price.

Just a few questions, hope I'm not putting you on the spot here.

Not at all, I like answering questions! :)

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 31/05/2012 20:39:44
Hmm... interesting, I was thinking the exact opposite - that the freeware version would come first, raise awareness of and interest in the game, and that the "proper" version would then come out a month or so later.

There will be a new demo released, as well as some other marketing material (possibly an updated website and a gameplay trailer on youtube with samples of music, voice acting etc) to promote the game prior to release.

Quote from: CaptainD on Thu 31/05/2012 20:39:44
Tomi, are you planning on having the freeware game IDENTICAL in terms of gameplay?  That, to me, would be a bad move.  Not that major swathes of the game should be missing, but apart from having a voice pack etc there should be some extra motivation for people to want to play the full game (as with The Journey Down having extra locations, characters as puzzles as well as better graphics and a voice pack).

Oh yes, some secrets, details and possible endings might not be available in the free version, but I can't tell you about all of them, now can I? I need to keep some secrets...
The main idea of the free version is to provide, for free, a coherent and enjoyable experience, that anyone can pick up, play and, most importantly, enjoy for free. My little contribution to the adventure gaming community, you see.

Quote from: LTGiants2000 on Thu 31/05/2012 20:52:37
Well here's my response to that Wham!  8-)

http://archive.org/download/mcmanusmcmanus/McManus.mp3

Oh wow! :D Well, I'll have to compare you to some locals, since I am hoping to travel to Scotland to gather some inspiration and talk to some locals later this year, and see what sort of voice actors I can come up with.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

WHAM

Added a little title-screen sort of affair on the front page.
Nothing much new to report, doing steady progress, but a lot of work remains to be done before I will have anything concrete to show. And besides, don't want to show you guys too much, eh? ;)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Anian

I was kind of bored so some good luck fan art  :grin:

I just didn't know what was exactly on the shirt, so a tf2 logo was my best guess.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

Sweet and awesome, Anian! Thank you! :D
Although I still won't add a flashlight into the game, despite the cool fanpic. ;) Or maybe I will... Who know? HE does! Mwahahahahaaa!

No, seriously, this is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen, I don't think I've had any "fan-art" done based on any of my stuff before. And you even copied the window design from the game!

LTGiants2000

Quote from: Anian on Tue 05/06/2012 12:46:55
I was kind of bored so some good luck fan art  :grin:
]
I just didn't know what was exactly on the shirt, so a tf2 logo was my best guess.

Wow...this is amazing, and what a complement! Great job Anian!

Xyzzy

I came upon this game by accident while browsing YouTube. I am new to AGS but to see such visuals and mood in a fan-made game made me curious. I really like how you use light and shadow, and the scenery is very good. In some of them I can just imagine the (ominous) background sounds! It brings back memories of playing Lurking Horror. I am a bit surprised that the main character is a young woman, though; I would have expected a male lead to fit the "genre" (Victorian era-inspired horror).
I hope to play this game soon!

Some questions (I hope they are not out of place): I do not know much about the "Slender Man" mythos (only that it isn't a real "myth", just an internet meme). Do I need to know about it to understand the game? Are there any games similar to this in the AGS game section that can be recommended?

WHAM

Quote from: Xyzzy on Sun 26/08/2012 09:22:08
Some questions (I hope they are not out of place): I do not know much about the "Slender Man" mythos (only that it isn't a real "myth", just an internet meme). Do I need to know about it to understand the game? Are there any games similar to this in the AGS game section that can be recommended?

Questions are always welcome in this thread! :)
Can't say if there are any similiar games, although I do recommend the Trilby games (5 days a stranger, 7 days a sceptic and so forth) as they have been very much an inspiration for me and are some of the best AGS games I've seen so far.

As for the other part of your question:
Spoiler
The Slenderman mythos, or at least a variation of it, has also been an inspiration for this game, but I try not to just pick up and re-use ideas made by someone else, so I've written my own little mythos for this game and it's variation of the Slenderman, and thus no knowledge of any other variation is needed.
[close]

Xyzzy

Thank you very much for the information. I will try out the Trilby games (I think I have heard them mentioned somewhere already). Good luck with the game proper!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk