He Watches

Started by WHAM, Fri 17/06/2011 22:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

"Dark" and "Darkness" are both way too overused words in game names, so I made a conscious effort to avoid them. Though now that I've gotten some feedback, both on and off the forums, "The Rushdie Mansion" has begun to seem less and less like a good name.

I shall revert back to "project: mansiongame" and keep working to come up with a final name by the time I release the demo.

At this time the potential names I have in mind are:
"The Rushdie Mansion"
"Rushdie"
"Absolution"
"Seeker of justice"
"Justice"
"Punishment"
"Echoes"
"He watches"
"The Dark mansion on a Dark hill in a Dark forest Quest "

Feel free to voice opinions!

EDIT: Also: Thanks for the kind words, Mark Borg! Its always nice to hear people have noticed the evolution of my art from the days of yore. The game will feature a darkness setting, which can be adjusted at the start of the game, so the game should be playable with different monitor settings without issue.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

arj0n

"The Urbex Mystery"
"The Adventure of the Solitary Traveler"
"The Mystery of the Empty Mansion"
"Missing Without a Trace" / "Without a Trace"

WHAM

Drat! Without a trace sounded good to me, and fit the theme of the game, but its been used elsewhere quite recently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_a_Trace
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

arj0n

Mystery Mansion: Traceless
What Lurks Around the Corner
Beyond Fear
Sinister Soul
Faces of Fear
Fiendish Fear
Ominous Omen
Foreshadow
Malign Mansion
Minatory Mansion / Minacious Mansion
The Vicious Circle

CaptainD

WHAM

I'll take all suggestions and compile a list of the best ones later, which I will go through in the coming weeks. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming!

It's always good to hear what sort of ideas others come up with.  ;)

vertigoaddict

How about...

"The abscense of light"

Say it a couple of times and after a while it actually sounds pretty cool.

(My bro's name is Rushdee so that title felt weird to me simply for that reason  :P).

cat

I think naming the game after the mansion is a reasonable thing, but I don't like the name Rushdie for a mansion. That sounds badly made up.

WHAM

Rushdie was the surname of some English lord from way back when, I simply took a historically accurate name and had him build a fictional mansion. =)

cat

Wait, the name of the guy was really Rushdie?  :o

NickyNyce

Here's a few names to maybe give you some inspiration, considering the light will help you stay alive, I rolled with it.....

Light source
Moonlight mansion
Lovers light
The last light
Last Night
Blacklight
Pitch black
Shades of darkness
Days End
The Dying light

WHAM

Quote from: cat on Wed 27/07/2011 14:08:29
Wait, the name of the guy was really Rushdie?  :o

Hmmm... I can't seem to find the wikipedia article anymore. Maybe I was dreaming? What the...
Maybe I should just pick a different name after all, something more inherently English.

Thanks for the ideas NickyNyce!

EDIT: Cat, I think you may have gotten me here. After shuffling the internet for a while, it seems I was tired when I came up with the name and in googling occultist stuff along with english names, I encountered the name "Rushdie" in the context of some satanic verses, and somehow made a mental connection there.

Either that or I am going mad! Well, now I have to change the mansion name anyway, so there...

WHAM

I think I have enough ideas for the name now, by the way. Will do some combinations on the ideas I have received and create something out of them. I think I have few coming up now...

EDIT: Yeah, the mansion was renamed into "Baddeley Mansion" after an actual historically accurate family.

Snarky

Quote from: Snake on Tue 26/07/2011 23:52:49
Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 26/07/2011 22:26:21
Quote from: WHAM on Tue 26/07/2011 12:11:00
I finally, after much deliberation, decided on a final name for the game: "The Rushdie Mansion"
The demo is very much in the works, am hoping to release it next month!

Don't take this the wrong way, cause you know how much I respect your work and how much I'm looking forward to this game, but Rushdie Mansion is really a bad name for this game. It strikes me a bit wrong, kind of putting me off from this greatly enchanting project of yours. Just a thought I think I should mention now, cause I should.
Yeah, just name it House of Darkness, Darkhouse, TROICA or The Legend of Leitor's Edge :P

On a serious note, I like the name. It says that it won't take the house too long to kill you, or at least that's how I take it.

Sounds like a game where you go on a visit to Salman Rushdie. At his mansion, which he apparently has.

Creed Malay

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 27/07/2011 15:40:42
Cat, I think you may have gotten me here. After shuffling the internet for a while, it seems I was tired when I came up with the name and in googling occultist stuff along with english names, I encountered the name "Rushdie" in the context of some satanic verses, and somehow made a mental connection there.

Either that or I am going mad! Well, now I have to change the mansion name anyway, so there...

Yep, I'm guessing you were reading about Salman Rushdie, who wrote a novel called The Satanic Verses. Not an occultist, as far as I know. And he's British, but of Indian descent, I don't think Rushdie is an "old" British name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Rushdie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Verses

I don't want to start dissing on your new name choice, but Badderly sounds a bit too evocative of "badguy" to me, making it all sound a bit cartoonish.. quite possibly just me though.

The game is looking ace though, really looking forward to playing it. I love a good atmospheric haunted house game. :D

Mobile Meat Machines - Comics of Animals and Education! - http://meatmachines.livejournal.com/

vertigoaddict

Looking up the occults for name inspirations? I'm surprised you didn't consider Crowley...but then again that's almost obvious.

Tabata

I like the graphic style and think, that you are on the right way for another cool game.
Keep up the good work!  :D

btw. suggestions for the games name:
Dark Mansion
or
Dark³
... in relation to one of your own thoughts about a name with 3 times Dark in it  ;)

WHAM

@vertigoaddict: Precisely: I try to keep things a little cryptic and try to mix fact and fiction in a way that would allow the more inquisitive player to find reality-based links, while still keeping them on their toes about what it all means.

We'll see how it goes, and you should get a little more information once I get the demo released (was scripting it when I decided to check the forums again)

@Tabata: Good to hear you like what you see! Thanks for the awesome name suggestions, especially the latter one, but I think "He Watches" is mysterious enough to keep for now at least.  ;)

mkennedy

If your going with names of occultists you could call it "Crowley Manor"

Anian

Arcane manor or Lucent scowl or something.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk