He Watches

Started by WHAM, Fri 17/06/2011 22:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

FrancoFranchi

Very swish - haven't played too much as I don't want to spoil the full the game, but I love the interface (especially the 'HELP' button and the Save/Load phone screen).

Only pet peeve is the seemingly unskippable dialogue - especially since you can still see the hotspot names appearing when you hover the mouse around during the them.

WHAM

Quote from: FrancoFranchi on Sat 10/09/2011 13:42:55
Only pet peeve is the seemingly unskippable dialogue - especially since you can still see the hotspot names appearing when you hover the mouse around during the them.

All I can say is: the dialogue is not unskippable. Read the instructions. I tend to hide all sorts of nifty secret tricks in the cleverly hidden readme -file.  ;)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Dualnames

I really want to play this DEMO-TEASE, but I think it may ruin the full game for me. Regardless, I'm still hooked on my seat!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

WHAM

No worries dual. The demo was specifically designed to not spoil the main game, but rather function as a showcase of the full game's potential, as well as get the player asking questions about the story and characters of the main game.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you thought!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Snake

OMFG, WHAM. I cannot wait to play this demo. Before I do, are there any scary images that may appear or pop up during the demo? If so, I can wait until my daughter is in school tomorrow to play it. If not, I WANT TO PLAY IT NOW and not worry about my daughter looking over my shoulder...er, elbow rather ;)
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

WHAM

@ Snake: I cannot confirm or deny your expectations.  ;)

R4L

You set the mood perfectly in this. The very little music is the perfect amount. Especially:

Spoiler
When I went to go to the second floor balcony, and saw the dark figure. The silence killed me, and I was just waiting for something terrible to happen.
[close]

Excellent demo Wham. :)

WHAM

@ R4L: Glad to hear you enjoyed the game! Be sure to also give feedback, unless you were too hasty to skip the credits, that is.  ;)

gameboy

I'm trying the demo out and I have to say I like what I see so far. Keep up the good work Wham!

LRH

*Awkward anxious dance*

Can't decide if I want to play the demo or wait for the full game ahhhhh

WHAM

@ Gameboy: Glad to hear you are liking the demo so far!

@ Domithan: I recommend you play the demo. It comes with a request for feedback which might end up altering the future of this game, so all feedback is good.  :)

R4L

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 12/09/2011 19:29:32
@ R4L: Glad to hear you enjoyed the game! Be sure to also give feedback, unless you were too hasty to skip the credits, that is.  ;)

I was not! :P

I really can't find any downsides yet, except maybe being able to walk with the lighter out.

WHAM

Well how boring would a horror game be if you could just create light everywhere and keep the light on all the time? The way the light is created with overlays and such also limits what I can do with it.

Khris

Great stuff, very Silent Hill!

Will comment further but gotta run.

Just two small issues:
-Opening a cellphone document doesn't update the top bar although the phone is in DocReader mode.
-You should add code so right clicking to de-select inside the inventory works also if not over an item.

WHAM

Quote from: Khris on Tue 13/09/2011 19:21:33
Great stuff, very Silent Hill!

Will comment further but gotta run.

Just two small issues:
-Opening a cellphone document doesn't update the top bar although the phone is in DocReader mode.
-You should add code so right clicking to de-select inside the inventory works also if not over an item.

Thanks for the feedback!

Issue 1: That's a bug right there, will fix that and see about reuploading the game later on

Issue 2: I tried, by Ye Gods I tried! After failing and failing I just added a deselect inventory item button in the inventory. If you have an idea on what I should put in on_mouse_click to do what you described, feel free to give me a hint, man! I recall trying some variations of the mouse_click_inv or something, but I didn't get it working.

EDIT:
Not sure if you'll notice this, Khris, but here is what I have in the mouse_click script at the moment, and this is what I thought would work, but as you can see, it only works if the player clicks on an inventory item, not in the empty inventory window. The issue might also have to do with how the GUI is built, though...  :-\

Code: ags

if (button == eMouseRightInv) {
    if (player.ActiveInventory != null) {
      player.ActiveInventory = null;
    } else {
      InventoryItem *ytem = InventoryItem.GetAtScreenXY(mouse.x, mouse.y);
      ytem.RunInteraction(eModeLookat);
    }
  }

R4L

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 13/09/2011 18:07:21
Well how boring would a horror game be if you could just create light everywhere and keep the light on all the time? The way the light is created with overlays and such also limits what I can do with it.

What I meant to say was, once I was placing candles and the lighter icon was on the screen in the top left, I kept wanting to click it to light the candle, instead of going in the inventory, selecting the lighter, and then clicking the candle.

Also, I figured you were doing the lights in a way that wouldn't make that possible.

Anyway, great stuff anyway! And yes. very Silent Hill feeling, which if you didn't know, is my favorite franchise! Well, until they release the new one, which is online multiplayer only. I consider that blasphemous for any Silent Hill game. :P

WHAM

Quote from: R4L on Tue 13/09/2011 21:00:02
Anyway, great stuff anyway! And yes. very Silent Hill feeling, which if you didn't know, is my favorite franchise!

Glad to hear. Silent Hill games are one of the sources I use for ideas and feel of the game, along with a few others. I never had the nerve to finish any of the Silent Hill games myself, so I want to try to catch that same nervous and anxious feeling that kept me from finishing.

Khris

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 13/09/2011 19:36:17
Not sure if you'll notice this, Khris, but here is what I have in the mouse_click script at the moment, and this is what I thought would work, but as you can see, it only works if the player clicks on an inventory item, not in the empty inventory window. The issue might also have to do with how the GUI is built, though...  :-\
Clicks over empty parts of an InvWindow don't call on_mouse_click.

This works with a default game:
Code: ags
MouseButton last_button;

function repeatedly_execute_always() {
  int i = eMouseLeft;
  while (i <= eMouseMiddle) {
    if (mouse.IsButtonDown(i)) last_button = i;
    i++;
  }  
}

void DeselectInv() {
  if (player.ActiveInventory != null) {
    player.ActiveInventory = null;
    mouse.Mode = eModeInteract;
    mouse.UseModeGraphic(eModePointer);
  }
}

function gInventory_OnClick(GUI *theGui, MouseButton button)
{
  if (button == eMouseRight) DeselectInv();
}

void on_event(EventType event, int data) {
  if (event == eEventGUIMouseUp && last_button == eMouseRight) {
    if (GUIControl.GetAtScreenXY(mouse.x, mouse.y) == invCustomInv) DeselectInv();
  }
}

Let's not derail this any further though; if it doesn't work we should take this to the technical forum.

WHAM

Thank's a bunch Khris! I think I can get it working with your... well... readymade script.
I didn't want to start another thread about this and couldn't find anything with the search function on the forums down, so I went with a workaround earlier. If you notice the demo has been reuploaded later today, that means I got this fixed!  :)

WHAM

Reuploaded the game and updated the download link in the games page.
Thanks to Khris for his great help!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk