He Watches

Started by WHAM, Fri 17/06/2011 22:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

Thanks for the feedback Cofliostro!

I'll have to tweak the sound effects, that is true. Quite a few people have noted about Sarah's heavy footfalls and I think I will soften them a bit.

The "hide critical information in the readme" is a design choise, as I don't want to do any of that gameplay tutorializing and backstory explanation inside the game proper. I won't be adding a narrator and having Sarah talk to herself so much is just illogical to me. I'll add a "please read the manual" note at the start of the game, though.  ;)

Cutscene graphics are potentially an area of improvement, although my abilities at creating sprites at a higher resolution are quite limited.

The
Spoiler
"Wake up, it was all a dream"
[close]
-ending is not the ending of the game, just the demo. That is when the real game begins, my friend.

Overall I get the impression you liked the demo, despite its shortcomings at this point. I've been gathering feedback for a little while now and aim to keep doing so in the future and so far it seems that people are generally feeling positive, although some people are voicing concern on some aspects.

Anyway, thanks again for the deedback!

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Cogliostro

Quote from: WHAM on Mon 26/09/2011 16:58:48

Overall I get the impression you liked the demo, despite its shortcomings at this point. I've been gathering feedback for a little while now and aim to keep doing so in the future and so far it seems that people are generally feeling positive, although some people are voicing concern on some aspects.

Anyway, thanks again for the deedback!

Yes!  I liked the demo!  I don't put that much effort if I don't see any potential in the game.

As far as the narrating goes, it is possible to have Sarah give some of the backstory without sounding schizophrenic (i.e. having long conversations outloud with herself.) 

On the other hand, giving your most recent comments and the ending a little more thought, I have to say I'm even more intrigued by what you're planning to do with this game.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

WHAM

Just thought I'd let people know that there has been a slight delay in the developement of He Watches. I'm taking a few months off of the project to work on something else, as well as to take extra time to improve this game in order to upgrade its quality further. I'm hoping to get the quality high enough to  think about going commercial with this game at some point, but nothing is certain yet.

Anyway, estimated release date is H2 of 2012, be it a freeware release or a commercial one.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Tenacious Stu

I think going comercial with this is a great idea. I played the demo and I think it's a great-looking game with an excellent atmosphere and HUGE potential. It's a shame that it will be delayed, but if it's for taking extra time to improve the game, then take all the time you need.

Good luck with it whatever you decide to do  :)

Darth Mandarb

Hate to hear of the stall but have no doubt you'll get back to it!  When you do (and need/want to update us on it) let me know and I'll unlock it!
Unlock'd!

WHAM

I am pleased to report that He Watches is back in production! Darth kindly unlocked the thread for me and so I decided to fix the first post (links broken due to A MAJOR OVERHAUL on my website) and bump up the thread once again.

I'll also be posting at least one new screenshot this weekend, along with some new character art, so stay tuned people!

Gods it feels great to be working again...  ;D

WHAM

Since a lot of people have been showing so much interest in this project, I thought I could reach out to the community for some collaboration.
Here is a background with a bunch of empty picture frames:

If YOU want to have a shot at getting a little bit of yourself into He Wathches, fill up one or more of the picture frames with your own artwork following the guidelines given below and send your donation to wham@whamgames.com via e-mail.

Guidelines:
- Picture should not look too out of place in a 1920's or 1930's setting
- I might slightly modify some pictures to maintain certain themes and ideas in the game
- Picture frames can be extended vertically if you wish, but please take dimensions of the room into account
- Some material might not be used in the game or in this specific room in the game, so don't get upset if your painting is not show in-game

Darth Mandarb

Really great idea!  Might be neat to mix in forumites' avatars?  Or are you looking for original art?

WHAM

I'd prefer original art, although if people want to get their avatars or similiar icons into the game, that can be arranged in exchange for a piece of original art as well. Some parts of the game take place in more moderns settings, so I can embed such icons and avatars there.

mkennedy

If you want to give more detail or have bigger paintings then  maybe when the character looks at the painting the game does  a close up with a dialog box or something?

Although it may be a bit of a cliche perhaps you can have a sinister looking portrait where the eyes follow the character.

WHAM

Quote from: mkennedy on Sun 15/01/2012 01:39:31
If you want to give more detail or have bigger paintings then  maybe when the character looks at the painting the game does  a close up with a dialog box or something?

Although it may be a bit of a cliche perhaps you can have a sinister looking portrait where the eyes follow the character.

The close-up of the paintings only works if I can produce a close up of each and every single painting in the game and we are talking of dozens and dozens of paintings in the whole game: portraits, landscapes, recreations of famous pieces of art, etc. I don't think I have resources to do that, so I'm just going with a character-spoken description of the paintings.

The "eyes following player" portrait gag is a bit too cliche for me and I don't think it would fit in this game for the most part. I do have something very slightly similiar in mind, though, so we'll see how it goes. :)

Ghost

The mere idea to include all sorts of references to the community is pretty awesome! Good thinking there, sir!

Anian

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 15/01/2012 12:00:01
The mere idea to include all sorts of references to the community is pretty awesome! Good thinking there, sir!
So how long do you think it'll be till the first blue cup with the text "this is not a blue cup" beneath it will pop up?  ;D

Btw Mucha type stuff is considered or maybe more art decoish?
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

Quote from: anian on Sun 15/01/2012 12:25:32
Btw Mucha type stuff is considered or maybe more art decoish?

I have no idea what this means...  :-\

Anian

Quote from: WHAM on Sun 15/01/2012 13:06:16
I have no idea what this means...  :-\
Aphonse Mucha, google and enjoy.  ;D
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

WHAM

I recorded myself drawing a new room yesterday and intended to put it on youtube to show you guys how I work. The recording was corrupted...

Oh well, here, have a new room instead:

cianty

ca. 70% completed

Diath

I would really like to see how you do your backgrounds! Also you know who to get ahold of again when you want beta testing done :)

WHAM

Quote from: Diath on Wed 18/01/2012 20:43:59
I would really like to see how you do your backgrounds!

If anyone has any ideas how to reliably record a couple of hours of video off my monitor, I will gladly record another drawing session. Camstudio -recorder failed me big time and corrupted the file, so I'm not trying that again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk