Using Fonts With Extended Characters

Started by TheJBurger, Fri 24/06/2011 05:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJBurger

Hello!

I am trying to import a font with extra (German) characters into AGS. The original English font used in the game was exported, appended with the extra characters, and then sent back and re-imported into AGS. However, when compiling and running, extra characters (such as "ü") still display incorrectly with the default unknown symbol despite the fact that the font was appended with the characters.

I can upload the new font somewhere if that would help.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gilbert

As far as I know, AGS can only display symbols #0-127 if it's a SCI font, and #0-255 if it's a TTF.
So, if you're not using TTF yet, switch to TTF, and if you're already using TTF, make sure the extra characters weren't added to indices beyond #255.

Dave Gilbert

Thanks Gilbot!  By "indices" do you mean number of characters?

Gilbert

Or you may call it the ASCII number (or slot) of the character.

monkey0506

The AGS char type is a single byte, and there's no "wide" char type for extended characters beyond ASCII 255 (nor is there support for other character encodings). That's why AGS only supports TTF font characters 1-255. I'd say 0-255 but 0 is the ASCII null character '\0', which AGS uses to terminate strings, so you could never display it anyway.

That being said, does anyone know why the "SCI" fonts only support characters 1-127? Is there a 128-character limit imposed by the font file format?

Vukul

On the similar note, I'd say it's not only the matter of TTF/not TTF. For example, those TTFs that I have are good at displaying Russian characters, but fail to produce German and French ones. The best way out is to ask somebody who make games in languages other than English to supply you with fonts they use, for instance, in MS Word. Usually, they work very well.

P.S. Could anyone share (or PM) Arial TTFs with German and French characters? (Hopefully, I don't go off-topic)

Snarky

I pretty much guarantee you that any Windows installation of Arial will have German and French glyphs. I'd bet you're doing something else wrong.

xerca

I use an editted version of Comic Sans as font. I made it a long time ago. If you want, I can upload it and share the link with you. But I don't know if it includes every german character but it does support ü and ö.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk