Britney's Escape

Started by lizzlebizzle, Sat 25/06/2011 22:14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzlebizzle

Here's my first game creation: It's a Maniac Mansion Mania-type game, with Britney as the protagonist! An exciting adventure into the badly-drawn life of a blonde. Short, one-room escape game. Thanks to the supportive people on the forums, and MMM for the starter pack.

Download here!

-Liz

CaptainD

Looks fun, I'll try to find some time to play it (the fact that it's a one-room game should make that easier!  8))

Frodo

Very nice little game.    :D

Loved the part with
Spoiler
The potion to make her hair long.   :=
[close]

lizzlebizzle

Clown

Hi,

So far I really enjoyed this little game, but unfortunately a bug prevents me from finishing it:

Spoiler
When I "use" the finished potion on Britney, she recitates the spell and I can see a glimpse of "transformation smoke" before the game crashes.
[close]

This is the error message I get with the crash:

An error has occurred. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 3.21.1115)

in "GlobalScript.asc", line 1909
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 1958
from "GlobalScript.asc", line 1978

Error: FaceCharacter: invalid character specified

Sincerely,
Clown

lizzlebizzle

Clown, thanks for the heads up! I changed a couple of things and didn't notice that one. Fixed the bug. Let me know if there are any other issues.

Edit: Fixed a couple other issues with the mirror and using inventory items on Britney.

Plans: Fix keyboard shortcuts, default action for door. I've heard the font is hard to read, so I'll probably change it.

Khris

I played this for a while until I got stuck.

Some minor issues:
-I'm not sure which pack you used but it seems you got an older one; for instance the cross-hair jumps after one selects an inventory item; that's because the cursor's hotspot coordinates are wrong.
-Clown's crash is also a well-known bug in older packs
-Many interactions don't generate a response; you have to make sure that your interaction code always calls Unhandled() at the end if the action doesn't do anything else.

The 9-verb template that comes with AGS is based on one of the new MMM packs and contains a pdf that explains all the available functions in english.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realize there's an update version. Please disregard. :-[
Edit2: There are still missing unhandleds for the window, vanity and bed (and almost all other room objects, it seems)
opening the diary a second time produces the page again (it doesn't end up twice in the inv though)
it's always possible to open or close the wardrobe regardless of the state it is in

lizzlebizzle

Khris, please download the most recent version. The fatal error is one I unintentionally created in an updated version. I fixed the inventory cursor skews, and the lack of unhandled events two versions ago. :) Thanks for the heads up.

Leon

Very nice one!

Few remarks:
- Debug mode is still on
- typo: defintly (not sure, the font is terrible  :-[ )
Spoiler
- When you can tie the string to the bed, the window opens automatically if not open already
- You can close the drawer from a distance.
[close]
I thought it was a bit unfair to
Spoiler
pick up the bed to take a sheet.
[close]
Other than that... well done!  :)
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

lizzlebizzle

Thank you, sir! I am going to change the font in the next version. As well as that typo. (How ghastly! Typos bother me SO much!)

I might make it so
Spoiler
Britney says, "I have to open the window first!" or something before tying the sheet to the bed.
[close]

Also, if I can, I'll
Spoiler
change the label to "sheet" after you look at the bed, or something. Or make a mini-hotspot.
[close]

And I'll fix the drawer issue.

Thanks for playing the game! I appreciate it!

lizzlebizzle

Just posted the latest and greatest version. Font changed and other schtuff. Please let me know if there are other bugs (I ran through it, but it's 1:30 AM here, and Liz = sleepy). Thank you all!

bicilotti

Nice first game: it is not buggy, it is clearly written and it plays well. I am not a fan of MMM, so I can't judge wheter it fits the series or not.

drawback: there's really not much to chew, so I hape to see a "chapter II - britney's revenge" :P

CosmoQueen

Oooo thank you!! I'm so MMM deprived I don't even care if it goes with the others or not!!!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

CosmoQueen

Played it and loved it!! Very cute and fun little game. Will there be a sequel where she gets her revenge? :D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk