PC issues, long program load time and no internet!

Started by Peder 🚀, Sun 26/06/2011 18:02:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

So I am not usually the person to ask for help when it comes to computers but this one just really beats me!

Since today, I seems to not be able to get online on my DELL XPS 15 Laptop. It connects fine to the router and says it has internet access, but I can't access no websites NOR the router itself. Mind I have several times just right after connecting managed to open a website, but then it won't work after that... Also programs seems to take longer to load than they usually do. Should I assume I might have a virus? (Doing a full scan as I am writing this and nothing found yet.).

As you can see I am online with my old laptop without any issues at ALL. And all other devices I have also have internet access..
I even tried using a cabled connection with my laptop and it is still the same issue, I might be able to load a page right at the beginning then it just "cuts out".

Oh and I forgot to mention that even trying to open a local server (a WAMP Server on the same machine) in my browser is painfully slow....

Eigen

What does the Task Manager say? What other processes are running?

Peder 🚀

I have gone through the task manager and nothing seems fishy there.
All programs I open however show up there straight away even though the program does not actually manage to start fully before like 1 minute or so after.. I am trying several things atm.. Will see if it changes anything..

Wyz

A virus is the first thing that comes to mind, but ofcourse there can be more culprits. However I assume it's wise to start with the most obvious and check if your system has a virus. Maybe you could boot from a live CD and use that to search for viruses. That way you can use your old laptop to download it.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Phemar

I had a similar problem, I had to delete system32 ;)

Peder 🚀

Khris

Haha, don't. Delete that dir and you have to reinstall windows.

Peder 🚀

Yeah ;). I thought he was on about one of those .exe files that is a virus.. Understood that it werent when all that came up was a folder :P.

Phemar

Sorry, I thought everyone knew that was a joke!

Peder 🚀

:P I knew once I seen what came up ;).
I was kinda too buried in my problem to really think about it straight away :)..

Anyway, I am on my proper laptop now! I did find a trojan, but this was not the cause of the problem, rather it was my Antivirus and a filter it was using on my network adaptors... (PANDA NDIS IM FILTER).

As soon as I disabled that it worked again straight away... I will have to check up a bit more about this filter to know what I have disabled though and why it suddently became an issue... (If it was there before).

Wyz

Actually a virus scanner would have been my second guess, glad you've figured it out. ;D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Phemar

Quote from: PE3dE3r JohnsE3n on Mon 27/06/2011 01:00:50
:P I knew once I seen what came up ;).

I would have felt hella bad if you'd actually gone ahead and done it...  Haha, The internet really needs a sarcasm font :D

Eigen

Anti-virus software does mess up sometimes. About half a year ago, one morning suddenly all my IDEs started acting up, all the built projects no longer ran and debuggers stopped working. Obvious virus check - nothing. I re-installed the IDEs, no luck, then thought I'll just update the GDB (gnu project debugger). Still nothing. Then for some reason, it started to complain about some corrupt or missing file, I think, in the system32 folder or something. Some very basic file anyway that most apps need to run. The error message also contained some error code but Googling that turned up nothing. Then I tried a bunch of other things and got pretty desperate and thought about reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows. Luckily, then I had to go out and got back that evening and decided to give Google another chance before reformatting. And what turned up, searching for that error code again, was that the last virus update my AV automatically installed was messed up and started interfering with Windows. The update had been released literally hours before I had installed it, so no-one had started a topic anywhere about it, hence I couldn't find anything usable when searching. But by the time I got back home in the evening, a thread had been started on the AV forums (somehow somebody linked the error to the AV software by uninstalling it or something, luckily) and a solution was provided by the devs. I had to disable automatic updates for a while, until they worked out a fix, but it helped. I mean, who could've thought AV updates can do that ..

dbryceo

Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk