Zombie Tune Contest - We have a winnar and also I forgot to change the title! :D

Started by ShiverMeSideways, Wed 29/06/2011 21:41:00

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

Ok, since the tune contest was dead for a month and nobody wanted to start the next, I've decided, as participant in the last compo, to bring it back FROM THE DEAD!

As such, the theme is ZOMBIE MUSIC!

Whether it be shambling dread or splatter horror, your task is to create a tune most befitting the walking dead.

Good luck!

PS: Bonus points for samples of zombie sounds like grunts and stuff!

Bror_Jon

I want to post one of my bands songs, but that would be cheating. :(
Quote from: monkey_05_06
I officially love you good sir, Always and Eternally.

ShiverMeSideways

@Jon: Yes, that would be cheating, but if you guys have a new song about zombies, send that sucker in! :D

Ahem, three days remaining... Anyone? :D

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

tzachs

Well, a bit un-inspired, and you might argue that it doesn't really sound anything like zombie music, but here it is anyway:

A Zombie Chase Scene from the 80s?    ???

noavana

Quote from: tzachs on Sun 10/07/2011 21:31:02
Well, a bit un-inspired, and you might argue that it doesn't really sound anything like zombie music, but here it is anyway:

A Zombie Chase Scene from the 80s?    ???

I would totally go and see this movie :)

and here's mine:
The zombies are coming!!!

daremes

I like nuavana's tune! it sounds really creepy. I would like to contribute as well. I hope I can make it in 2 days.

LimpingFish

http://shutupload.com/dl/af3a270760a0/

The sound-effect mix you hear at the start of the track has been lying around on my hard-drive for the last four or five years. The music was composed within the last three hours. Levels are arsed.

Enjoy! \o/
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Wyz

I give you from the classical imaginary horror flick 'A call of hunger':

The first meal is warm (4:02) (9.17 megs)

I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

oh btw, maybe fun if we describe what image we get when listening to the songs :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

ShiverMeSideways

@Noa, Tzachs, LimpingFish & Wyz: thank you so much for entering! :D

@Everyone else, tomorrow is the last day for submissions!

ShiverMeSideways

Tzachs

Pros: Definitely something different, it has a sense of underlying dread, and I like the upbeat tempo, catchy, changes a bit
Cons: Not fitting with a traditional image of zombies, a bit too '70s action scene rather than zombie flick

Noa

Pros: Creepy as all hell, reminds me a lot of the more atmospheric tunes from Doom, feels like it tells a story, great sound effects
Cons: not a lot of variation, a bit repetitious

LimpingFish
Pros: again, great sound effects, love the Queen-ish industrial-electro feel
Cons: again, not a lot of variation, it's basically just the same phrasing repeated

Wyz
Pros: great classic horror feeling, feels like it tells a story - creates a very vivid image in the listener's mind, great epic orchestral vibe
Cons: feels a bit too long, but that's probably because it's missing the accompanying film ;), also it feels like you're deliberately playing, sort of, "traditional" horror musical tropes

And the winner is...

NOA!!!!!

But holy crap, was that hard. So incredibly hard I had to think about it over the last few days - everyone did a tremedous job and everyone's entry was unique and interesting. Tzachs was unusual for the theme, but varied and catchy, LimpingFish's has a very dark electro feel and great sound effects while Wyz's is striaght-up '60s classic horror which makes me giddy and is also varied. But I chose Noa's because she kind of made the track tell a story and then shifted it on its head with the phone effect at the end and because she used a technique I love and that is using a little to tell a lot. The great use of sound effects and overall sort of Doom-y feel helped a lot too.

I hope this tune compo was fun for you guys, it definitely was for me, and great tracks were produced by you very talented people.

Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk