Dreamagine

Started by LostTrainDude, Sat 09/04/2011 04:09:38

Previous topic - Next topic

LostTrainDude

This is my first finished experiment with AGS. I hope it's not the last :P
I'm fiercely trying to engage a career in Game Design as a WriterEmotioneer. Yep, I do think I'm still far :P But hey, I had to start somewhere, am I right?

I've been subscribed for months but I preferred to introduce myself with SOMETHING to say.
So, this is it :)

Enjoy!

The last time I had a tidy-out in my room I found some old school exercise books. Expecting to find many doodles, I found nothing at all. So I began to think: what does a child think when he draws his doodles? Where does he get inspiration?

This very short game is the way I tried to figure it out.
--------------------------------------

Game's music is gently offered by Carey Goldenberg
(http://www.youtube.com/user/carebop)

Here's the download link

Here are a couple of screenshots:

FIX - I found that some audio loops weren't active. I fixed the issue and uploaded again :)
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

LRH

This actually looks really interesting. I'll edit this post with more comments after I play it.

EDIT: Very interesting so far...haven't had much of a chance to play so I have to see where else it is going before I say any more.

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Domithan on Sat 09/04/2011 04:23:36
This actually looks really interesting. I'll edit this post with more comments after I play it.

Thanks a lot :)
I hope to meet at least a pinch of your expectations
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Sephiroth

I wasn't really excited by the screenshots, but man... really nice work, it made me smile the entire time, the concept is really poetic and I actually enjoyed it much more than I expected, even if it's short.

You have to play this one!

LostTrainDude

Thanks a million! :)

I'm really glad that made you smile. It's the kind of result I want to achieve :)

LostTrainDude

152 times downloaded and counting! :) Thanks a million to all the users (and non-users) that have played it!

Gabriel_Down

When I clicked the ags setup of your game, it loads the main menu of The Longest Journey O_O

D:

Snarky

Could it be another instance of this problem? What are the EXE files called?

LostTrainDude

I downloaded it again to verify.  To me nothing was wrong. Actually I've never played The Longest Journey... I don't know what happened to you  :-\

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Snarky on Sun 17/04/2011 10:38:56
Could it be another instance of this problem? What are the EXE files called?

Game.exe
winsetup.exe

I didn't change anything to the 'default' settings of the build.

Gabriel_Down

Weird, however I have no problem running the actual game, just the setup.

Anyway seems a strange little game I'll try it this afternoon. Cheers

stepurhan

Obviously having some sort of brain blank. How do I get the sword to defeat the monster? Nothing I'm trying seems to work.

Sephiroth

I've had the same problem, I have no idea how I got it though:

Spoiler

I insisted a lot, went to the tower with the princess and tried to interact with everything again, then went back, clicked the sword and I picked it up.
[close]

LostTrainDude

I should have fixed this problem, it was an hotspot thing :)

Thanks for the feedback. Give it a try, again, if you like :)

Abisso

Not your everyday game for sure, but I don't regret the 15 minutes spent on it. It's a really peculiar experience, pleasant and relaxing, and has a child-feel that somehow saddened me, since it's just a long lost memory now.
Carey's voice gives a special extra touch too.

Good luck with your future projects and your dream to be a game-designer.

And since we're compatriots: "in bocca al lupo!"  ;)
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

LostTrainDude

Thanks a lot for your feedback, Abisso :)
Excluding the "sadness" you felt (maybe it isn't so bad :) ) I'm glad you enjoyed this short experiment :)

Still working on my dream, no turning back!

Grazie! :D

KodiakBehr

Congratulations on your first game!

I get the impression that this was more made for the author's whimsy rather than for the audience, so regardless of the impact that it did or did not have on me, I hope that designing it has been a positive and valuable experience for you.

Best of luck with your future in writing/emotioneering.  (The latter being a new term for me.)

LostTrainDude

Thanks a million for your feedback, KodiakBehr!

I'd like to share with you all a little story about the development of this game :)

In April there was, here in Naples, the first Italian Indie Game Development Contest (www.bravenewgame.com). I made this game from scratch in 10 days just to take part in the contest. My main goal was not to win but to MEET all those indie gamedevs that I met before only through internet or those I've never met at all! I really believe in the power of Networking, something that, IMHO, lacks in Italy where many (obviously, not everyone) want to achieve success in any possible way and in the less time possible.

This game really is a whimsy to me, but I really appreciated every single feedback that the AGS community gave me. It really improves my whole experience :)

Thanks again!

EDIT: Emotioneering is a word crafted by David Freeman who wrote a book about this: "Creating Emotions in Games: The Craft and Art of Emotioneering". By the way in the past months I've targeted a more appropriate term for my aspiration: "Narrative Designer". Sounds better, to me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk