AGS engine PSP port

Started by JJS, Fri 15/07/2011 16:27:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

I made profiling for engine running Gemini Rue (using AMD Code Analyst), on Windows, not on PSP though, so its a bit difficult to tell if PSP will have same results.
Few script interpreter functions are between highest positions in the list of time-eaters (and I am going to see what can be done about that eventually).
But the two top time spending positions belong to graphical functions stretch_line15 (18%) and _colorconv_blit_15_to_32 (~64%).
Is there a way to run similar test on PSP, or PSP emulator (don't know if running on emulator will be suitable)?

lestat666

I think JJS may have to answer that one.

I honestly have no idea.  I never noticed anything reporting that information, although I seem to remember something report the fps.... but I could be thinking of something else.

JJS

There is an option for profiling on the PSP using gprof. I made a build for that and ran it on the Beacon and Gemini Rue main menu. These are the resulting logs: http://jjs.at/temp/profiling.zip .

Not sure how useful they are because the profiling makes the games run a lot slower. Not sure about Beacon but Gemini Rue went down from the usual 25 to 15 fps. I guess this will mess with everything that is timing related so the drawing/script processing ratio might be off. Also not sure if optimization is turned on while generating code for profiling.

The log indicates the most of the time is spent in ccInstance::ReadOperation.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

lestat666

Test the Feb 9th Build.

I see you switched back to the old save format as the MMD saves now load and the new Gemini Rue saves didn't.
Loaded up the old ones and they worked.

Everything seems to still be working.
Can't tell if there were any speed improvements.
Seems like there might have been.

Let me know if I am mistaken.

Keep up the good work.

Crimson Wizard

Yes... there was another change in save format, hopefully the last one. Sorry for that :(.
I started writing Savedgame Converter, but did not finish, because of other pressing issues.
I will eventually make it, because I want my own Gemini Rue saves back too :).

I also found a way to increase the speed a bit, it is even noticable on Windows when there's slight desync between animation and music in cutscenes. Will be putting it to the current version soon.

lestat666

Awesome.
I wonder how it will affect the bullet sequences in Gemini Rue.
Or is that a limit of the PSP processor?

davoker

Hello, this is translated Spanish, forgive me if you don't understand T_T

I had an error with the game "Primordia" at AGS port v3.21 R9 for PSP

Code: AGS
Exception details:

Exception - Bus error (data)
EPC       - 088AEF08 / gro Application.text + 000AAF08
Cause     - 1000001C
Status    - 60008613
BadVAddr  - A4E015E8
zr:00000000 at:08C50000 v0:00000001 v1:00000140
a0:000000C8 a1:00000000 a2:00000000 a3:00000000
t0:00000000 t1:00000000 t2:00000140 t3:000000C8
t4:08A5AA74 t5:DEADBEEF t6:DEADBEEF t7:DEADBEEF
s0:09B7F680 s1:00000000 s2:00000000 s3:00000000
s4:00000140 s5:000000C8 s6:000000C0 s7:08B03980
t8:DEADBEEF t9:088F6B38 k0:0BABFF00 k1:00000000
gp:08A643B0 sp:0BABE2A8 fp:0000000C ra:0887B8C0

Note: Resolution play game 320x200 or 320x240

Thx ^_^

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: davoker on Sat 30/03/2013 13:15:08
I had an error with the game "Primordia" at AGS port v3.21 R9 for PSP
What is port 3.21 R9? I know 3.21 was previous version for all ports, is it possible to know the build date somehow?

lestat666

I was just wondering if there were any speed improvements implemented in the last 2 builds in March.

Figured it was easier to ask before testing.  Saves me some time =P

I will check if anything else is not working when I test for the speed issues.

I am doubtful if Primordia would run at full speed on a psp.
It will probably be choppy.
Especially since it has system requirements similar to Resonance.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: lestat666 on Sat 30/03/2013 17:49:34
I was just wondering if there were any speed improvements implemented in the last 2 builds in March.
I made a change I mentioned back in the end of february, it should be already in the recent builds. That change improved performance, maybe not drastically, but noticable even on Windows during some sequences. I would like to know how it affects PSP.

E: the change was made 24th February, so it should be in any later build.

davoker

That is the version that I got this here:

http://jjs.at/software/ags.html#screenshots

Just below "download" this version 3.21 R9 (Adventure Game Studio runtime PSP port - version 3.21.1115, got this release months ago, creation date not the, but this is the date of the EBOOT.)PBP:

[imgzoom]http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s522/davoker/eboot_zpsc941214c.png[/imgzoom]

P.S: The game "Prodigal" background sound crashes the PSP also, no sound works fine, has a solution?

P.S2: It would be a luxury to be able to play well "primordia" in the PSP *O* (Or Resonance, that it have not yet hehe)
Many hours of happiness with the AGS hahaha

Thank you and sorry for the trouble and please forgive my English  :-[

Crimson Wizard

@davoker, "agosto" means "august", is it? August 2012 is a pretty old one... The only good thing is that it may be faster than the ones that followed, because we did some tweaks to the engine, that made it slower, unfortunately. Hopefully recent update made it faster again (still need to be tested).
But there were a lot of bug fixing and compatibility improvement, so I suggest you try the recent port build:
http://jjs.at/daily/AGS_for_PSP_2013-03-10_15-27-38.zip

You may check those daily builds in the future:
http://jjs.at/daily/

I don't know why JJS hasn't updated the port on that page you downloaded it from...

davoker

Yes, "agosto" is august hehe

I've used version daily you put:

http://jjs.at/daily/ -> http://jjs.at/daily/AGS_for_PSP_2013-03-10_15-27-38.zip

The same thing that in the version which comment you above, one of the errors out is this: "Error: load_room: not enough memory to load room background" (apart from other errors that refer to sprites[type error black screen]), my PSP is a SLIM model 2000, if it's worth.

P.S: That version was just testing it after writing the second post, I saw it in the Forum, "Resonance" with that version is almost playable, but will still slow, little is left hehehe

Thx ;-D

lestat666

K, that mean's I have not tested it yet.

I will get to it in the next couple of weeks and let you know.

lestat666

So I tested stuff and some things seem faster and some seem slower.

Seems like the bigger the room in Gemini, the slower.
Ex.  Start screen with the rain is slow when moving the cursor and sometimes the sound skips.  Same with another.

Also, any rooms that have things moving are really slow.

Although I did notice a speed up with skipping scenes.  Especially that one at the beginning, but still not as fast as it used to be.

I tested the Apr 9th build.

Crimson Wizard

Weird  ???

E: I would really need to set up psp emulator to see how my changes affect profiling...

Crimson Wizard

JJS, can you please make a test PSP build of "develop" branch? It features simplified Bitmap class without inheritance and virtual functions (that was redundant, and removing them allowed me to make many getters inline).
Not sure if that is the only reason, but with that sound stutters less (or not at all), which I noticed on Windows playing "Gemini Rue" and "Metal Dead" games.
Just curious if that affects PSP in any way.

JJS

Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

lestat666

Since I just tested the prev build, I am going to take a break again for a bit.
Really short on time lately.

I will test again in a few weeks to a couple months.
Hopefully no other glaring problems come up during that time, making it hard to figure out which build caused the problem.

sonneveld

Does anyone still use the PSP port?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk