The future of the AGS engine: STALEMATE!

Started by monkey0506, Sat 23/07/2011 11:10:40

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDude

Please, nooOOOoooOoo to Qt. I had an entire mouse once that wouldn't work with Qt because it's mouse click events.

It was fun navigating every Qt program such as VLC player with the keyboard...or not.

bicilotti

Who has got the 'keys' to adventuregamestudio.co.uk, apart from CJ? I might want to ask him a favour.

Snake

Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 19/02/2012 20:45:29
Who has got the 'keys' to adventuregamestudio.co.uk, apart from CJ? I might want to ask him a favour.
And why it keeps telling me I have a new message when I don't :(
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ryan Timothy B

Yes, someone really needs to update this forum to the new scripts. I vote Calin because I know how much he likes to be voted into doing things.

Snarky

Maybe we should start talking about how long we can wait around for CJ to drop by, and when we need to start trying to find alternative ways to move forward.

bicilotti

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 20/02/2012 01:18:02
Maybe we should start talking about how long we can wait around for CJ to drop by, and when we need to start trying to find alternative ways to move forward.

Personally I just need someone to set up the nomination page for the ags awards.

Construed

I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Tabata

Quote from: Snake on Mon 20/02/2012 00:01:13
Quote from: bicilotti on Sun 19/02/2012 20:45:29
And why it keeps telling me I have a new message when I don't :(

... sounds to me like this   ;)

m0ds

Bici your best bet is AGA, scotch if you can find him or hajo in irc, or try andail or gilbot. If none of them have it, it is only CJ (and im pretty sure it's only CJ). I sent him another msg over the weekend, no response. I agree with Snarky, how long should we wait? Maybe it will become relevant to chip into a new forum and web host that a bunch of people can manage - if worse comes to worse.

Calin Leafshade

As much as it pains me to say it, we should consider moving the forums to another host. I'm not really sure how to really push forward.

adventuregamestudio.co.uk is the home of AGS but if the owner of adventuregamestudio.co.uk doesn't have time to admin the site and the owner of adventuregamestudio.co.uk is hesitant to shift ownership of the site to someone else then what is the solution?

Seems like the only resolution to that conflict is a community fracture. Which I think everyone would oppose.

miguel

My humble opinion on this specific matter (forum) is that the community needs a new server and forum. We are more than 7,000 here and one of this days we'll have our lovely bigbluecup exploding into pieces!

Server money will be easy to gather, I'm sure that lots of people will step forward if needed. Also, there are capable guys and girls here to manage a new forum.
I may be mistaken but I don't think CJ would be mad if the community felt that they need a better place to "live". I think he just doesn't have the time for AGS right now.

I vote for making the transition to a new server and forum. It's really frustrating not being able to come to the forums because of a server issue.

Maybe the new forum could not allow people from downloading AGS until CJ agrees with it? I don't know, I think it could work. 
Working on a RON game!!!!!

bicilotti

Thankee m0ds, I will do what you said (and if I were to find scotch, well, that would be a nice bonus).

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 20/02/2012 10:21:59
adventuregamestudio.co.uk is the home of AGS but if the owner of adventuregamestudio.co.uk doesn't have time to admin the site and the owner of adventuregamestudio.co.uk is hesitant to shift ownership of the site to someone else then what is the solution?

I think he once said he was a bit worried about giving access to other people for a number of reasons ( one that I recall: protect the privacy of bigbluecup's member, as giving access to the site would mean give access to all members' PMs, albeit only potentially ).

While we discuss which direction should the AGS project take, I will contact the folks mentioned by m0ds to see if someone has full access to the machine.
Until then I feel it could be premature talking of switching servers/boards/etc.

dasjoe dixit: scotch has it, but he went missing, AGA might have it. I will pm AGA.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote[..]as giving access to the site would mean give access to all members' PMs, albeit only potentially
If this person is to have full access over the SQL databases, which would only seem logical, PM snooping would be unbelievably easy. So a trusted member is definitely a must.
...So maybe I should unvote Calin.. (joking) ;)

On a side note, AdventureGameStudio.net  is available. .com seems to be held hostage by a company trying to sell the domain - I think. I'd do a whois domain inquiry but I'm on my cell.

Calin Leafshade

I would assume that PMs and stuff are all obfuscated in the raw database.

bicilotti

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 20/02/2012 13:30:30

I tought the same, but...

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 24/10/2011 21:30:27
I should also appoint a deputy to finish the new website (or open-source it). But the problem with this is that it requires a copy of the DB to be able to work on it, and I would need to spend time taking a DB backup and cleaning it up (eg. removing private data like PM's) before making it public.

cat

That would explain why it takes so much time to open the PM screen.

m0ds

Yeah, the PM feature hasn't been fun since November :( Well, good luck Bici!

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Mon 20/02/2012 13:30:30
Nope, the tables are easily accessible, if you had Admin access, and there is no "obfuscation of the raw database". ;)

The table is just like so with these columns:
ID_PM     int(10)
ID_MEMBER_FROM    mediumint(8 )   //damn smiley faces
deletedBySender     tinyint(3)
fromName     tinytext
msgtime     int(10)
subject     tinytext
body     text

The body is the Text of the PM, then there's the subject which is a Tinytext. So you could easily just read through every PM one after another directly from the SQL table - if you were lazy. The efficient way would be to just modify the inbox script to have all PM's visible from the "snoopy moderator's" account. ;)

Not that PM's contain anything overly important, but it's still good to have them locked down.

Edit: Then there's the table which contains the information if the PM has been read or not:
ID_PM    int(10)
ID_MEMBER     mediumint(8 )   // that damn smiley face again
labels     varchar(60)
bcc     tinyint(3)
is_read     tinyint(3)
deleted     tinyint(3)
(Not that you can really gather anything useful from that table)

And what I meant about "no obfuscation" is that once you gather the table passwords from the php scripts, it could be viewed without any issues as long as you upload a script to gather the information for you. Or if the server has a viewable database script, then it's even easier.

Edit: What I'm basically saying is Don't PM Anyone Anything Important. Save that for more secure channels. Just saying...

Wyz

I still have hope CJ will get back to us. I hope when he does he will give full access to the server to someone he trusts who has time to help us out.
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

m0ds

Quote from: Wyz on Mon 20/02/2012 14:56:03
I still have hope CJ will get back to us. I hope when he does he will give full access to the server to someone he trusts who has time to help us out.

Same. My comments about a second site were really geared towards the awards - cos they don't usually happen in March :/ It can become difficult to keep momentum up when there are long periods of not a lot, and that can lead to good input, ideas & people getting lost in time. That's my main concern. This year has a lot of productive potential, but it does need momentum before it can properly have stability. So yes, crossed fingers are important. Hopefully CJ will appear from behind a burning bush  :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk