Fortnightly Writing Contest: Drabble / Mini-Saga

Started by CaptainD, Fri 29/07/2011 13:33:00

Previous topic - Next topic

voh

Ah dangit, you found out my secret! :(

Also, check yer PM :)
Still here.

CaptainD

Hmm, you're probably right - the trophies should look like trophies, after all.  I've updated them in the first post...

Will put all current entries together in one post a bit later, they're in danger of getting lost!

Oliwerko

This was so much fun I had to do more, more and MORE!

Everything was different

At first I considered it plain unthinkable. When it crossed my mind again, I found it just impossible. I rejected it even when I knew already. I didn’t want to believe it although I saw it coming. It was too beautiful to be true. You came, and everything was different.

Light

First it was only light. I don’t remember much else. I was too scared, too confused. Things have been happening to me so fast last weeks. A lot of questions were left unanswered. I still had tears in my eyes. The headlights were close, but there was no way back.

Summer swim

The water was so fine. I felt…liberated. The sun was shining down upon me and I tried not to have anything on my mind, just the sharp sunrays reflecting in the waves in front of me. I closed my eyes and kept on swimming towards my fate, whatever it was.

Sunset

It was getting late. I opened the window and grabbed a glass of clear water. The air was fine. I was standing still, watching the sunset. If only everything was as tranquil and quiet as the orange sunlight. If only everything was so still as the water in the glass.

More than a friend

I woke up and saw her sleeping quietly beside me, her gentle eyes closed. She was beautiful, as she had always been. I had no more tears to run down my face anymore. She wasn't my girlfriend. But she wasn’t my friend either. She was far, far more than that.

Ponch

Planting a flag on this spot for a future story. I have an idea. I just have to get home and write it.  8)

BOOM! FLAG PLANTED!

The lighter was out of fuel and so was the bike. He'd made the last few miles on foot with no water and no cigarettes.

The latter was the bigger hardship. Middle of nowhere, down to his last few bullets and now the nicotine shakes were coming on.

When the automated pump station came into view, the frustration faded only slightly.

It roared back when he saw the badly rusted valves.

"I'd walk a mile for a camel," Venn said to the desert and chuckled. To a thirst man dying for a smoke, there was a joke in there somewhere.

Atelier

Rock dat Boat

The night was calm, and not a soul troubled The Freebooter on its anchorage, somewhere far, far out at sea. The breeze caught the sails gently and furled the mighty flag; the colours of fearless pirate No-nose Jimbo! His ship was of the cruelest fashion; it bristled with cannons, and dealt the fiercest blows on the Seven Seas.

Accordingly, The Freebooter was crewed by the biggest bunch of bilge-sucking hornswagglers ever to have lived… hang on!

“Hearties! Nights be mighty lonely on the seas! Let’s share hammocks!”

I must apologise. The epicness of our story has been somewhat spoilt.

CaptainD

So, all the entries:

Domithian:

You're going, now. It's time. There is no choice, it's time.
It's time to watch villages burn and friends die.
Take this rifle and this knife. You're going to use them.
You'll think of your life and all its shortcomings just before you die.
Yes, that is your destiny... conscript.

Voh:

Found in Space
I expected many things when I was chosen as the first human being to experience FTL travel. Hardships, things going wrong. Hell, I even expected to die. What I hadn't expected was this. None of the 'scientists' who had instructed me, had tried to explain what an FTL drive actually does, had seemingly known this was a possibility. Yet here I was. And so was I. Staring at one another.

“So, you broke through the dimensional rift in that thing?” I said.

“I guess I did.” I said to my other self, glancing sideways to the now smoldering FTL drive.

Atelier:

My love has no limit, but my words are running out.

Do you remember that day in the snow, when you held out your hand to me? I see you now, holding out your hand to me. Your eyes were bright as stars, and your gaze melted my heart; then the clouds rolled over, and I fell into an abyss. I still scale the walls; abound with razor rocks of my own creation. Soon I will sit and dissect my dreams, in my disillusioned outer world.

My last three words carry the weight of my crippling burden… you never knew.

Oliwerko:

Everything was different

At first I considered it plain unthinkable. When it crossed my mind again, I found it just impossible. I rejected it even when I knew already. I didn’t want to believe it although I saw it coming. It was too beautiful to be true. You came, and everything was different.

Light

First it was only light. I don’t remember much else. I was too scared, too confused. Things have been happening to me so fast last weeks. A lot of questions were left unanswered. I still had tears in my eyes. The headlights were close, but there was no way back.

Summer swim

The water was so fine. I felt…liberated. The sun was shining down upon me and I tried not to have anything on my mind, just the sharp sunrays reflecting in the waves in front of me. I closed my eyes and kept on swimming towards my fate, whatever it was.

Sunset

It was getting late. I opened the window and grabbed a glass of clear water. The air was fine. I was standing still, watching the sunset. If only everything was as tranquil and quiet as the orange sunlight. If only everything was so still as the water in the glass.

More than a friend

I woke up and saw her sleeping quietly beside me, her gentle eyes closed. She was beautiful, as she had always been. I had no more tears to run down my face anymore. She wasn't my girlfriend. But she wasn’t my friend either. She was far, far more than that.

Atelier:

Rock dat Boat

The night was calm, and not a soul troubled The Freebooter on its anchorage, somewhere far, far out at sea. The breeze caught the sails gently and furled the mighty flag; the colours of fearless pirate No-nose Jimbo! His ship was of the cruelest fashion; it bristled with cannons, and dealt the fiercest blows on the Seven Seas.

Accordingly, The Freebooter was crewed by the biggest bunch of bilge-sucking hornswagglers ever to have lived… hang on!

“Hearties! Nights be mighty lonely on the seas! Let’s share hammocks!”

I must apologise. The epicness of our story has been somewhat spoilt.

Ponch

The lighter was out of fuel and so was the bike. He'd made the last few miles on foot with no water and no cigarettes.

The latter was the bigger hardship. Middle of nowhere, down to his last few bullets and now the nicotine shakes were coming on.

When the automated pump station came into view, the frustration faded only slightly.

It roared back when he saw the badly rusted valves.

"I'd walk a mile for a camel," Venn said to the desert and chuckled. To a thirsty man dying for a smoke, there was a joke in there somewhere.

voh

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but is there voting involved? If so, when? :p
Still here.

CaptainD

Quote from: voh on Sat 13/08/2011 00:33:22
Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but is there voting involved? If so, when? :p

Not a stupid question at all! 

Since the competition closed after 12th August, voting is now open.  Stupidly I am still awake long after midnight, so I can tell you this now instead of later.

Voting begins!

Oliwerko

If that's the case, Atelier gets my vote  :)

kconan

voh

Still here.

CaptainD

Another stupid question - if I set the competition, am I allowed to vote?!?  ???

voh

Still here.

Atelier

CaptainD

Quote from: voh on Sat 13/08/2011 13:35:19
Yes! :P

In which case...

Domithian

I was impressed by many of the entries, but Dom's entry just blew me away with it's emotional resonance.  Also it gave me the chance to say "emotional resonance", which (hopefully) makes me sound smarter than I really am.

Any more votes to come?  Atelier's stands at zero, as votes for yourself count as -1...  ;D

(Only kidding... but it would be nice if you did a proper vote!  8))

Atelier

CaptainD

So overall...

Winners: Voh and Domithian both got 2 votes
[

Runners Up: Ponch and Atelier got a vote each

3rd: Oliwerko, who also wins the coveted Most Prolific Entrant award!

Thanks all for your entries!

Voh and Domithian will have to co-host the next one I guess?

Dualnames

Ah, the count as a trophy ...

Shamefully i wanted so bad to enter this one, but when my inspiration hit me, the voting had already gone half-way. Congrats to both voh and Domithan.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Oliwerko

Yup, congrats voh and Domithan!

I guess co-hosting can be fun, I don't remember one so far. Could yield quite funny results, two people choosing different topics and them mashing them together  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk