Attack on Titan finally comes to an end

Started by KyriakosCH, Fri 11/08/2023 23:26:29

Previous topic - Next topic

KyriakosCH

Anyone who watched this anime?
I gave up back in season 1, due to bad plot/terrible dialogue. But then started watching again and saw season 4.

Imo this show had a very charming idea, titans attacking walled humans, but the plot twist was not good and it deteriorated to convoluted storyline and gimmicks (origin of titans).

But some scenes are nice:

Still, even that scene, needs you to plug your brain out, to accept that a power with the resources of two entire continents behind it, couldn't install battleship turrets on the port and shoot at the titans legs ^^
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: KyriakosCH on Fri 11/08/2023 23:26:29Anyone who watched this anime?
I gave up back in season 1, due to bad plot/terrible dialogue. But then started watching again and saw season 4.

Imo this show had a very charming idea, titans attacking walled humans, but the plot twist was not good and it deteriorated to convoluted storyline and gimmicks (origin of titans).

I had two consecutive moments: a moment of faith, and a moment of lost hope, while watching the season 1.
The moment of faith started when the first battle vs Titans turned out into a grim and near hopeless action, and I remember thinking that this looks like a good war drama (if you can excuse all the weirdities). The pinnacle of this was when
Spoiler
the main character got killed in the middle of the season.
[close]
I raised the brow, and said: well, that's different.

And just when I thought that this is going to be an interesting anime,
Spoiler
the main character got resurrected into a titan.
[close]
And I was like: NOT AGAIN!!

Still I have to tell the truth: I watched it all through, mostly because I like watching weird stories.

But what I truly did not like about this anime was that it gave practically no resolution to all the struggle and trouble the characters were going through, and all of their successes were mostly due to coincidences, or "deus ex machina", which devalued their effort.

KyriakosCH

Yes, the fate of Eren in s1 was what got me to stop watching back in the day - I never watched the full s1 or any of s2, and only saw a part of s3.
The explanation (came much later) of why there even exists a titan ability, was imo really cheap.

Danvzare

Wow, so it's finally finished then.
I remember when Attack on Titan was all the rage among anime fans. That was around ten years ago I think. I never got into it though.
I always found it strange how people suddenly stopped talking about it completely roughly around the time that second game released.

Was the ending handled well though? What about the series as a whole?
I'll probably never watch it, but I'm always curious as to whether or not an ending is well received.

KyriakosCH

I think there is still one episode (likely around 1 hour long) left to air, sometime this Autumn.
But it won't change anything, the story is basically done.

LimpingFish

Never watched the anime, or read the manga, but I did see the live-action movies (which fans seem to hate), and I played a bunch of the video games. Like most long-running manga (imho), it seemed like another relatively simple premise stretched to brain-numbing length. Just attack the damn titan, already!

For instance, Berserk, which I really like (luckily, having spent in the region of 800 euro so far on those deluxe volumes Dark Horse puts out!) seems stupidly over-long. Still, even with the recent death of it's mangaka, Kentaro Miura, it's publisher has said it will eventually continue the series.

Just...stop.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

KyriakosCH

Going by the first half of s3 (which I watched), and all of s4 (also watched), the show really has something like 80% filler episodes...  :=
I'd suppose that the bulk of the fans are there just to see the titans, and in that respect it is a pretty empty show, due to titans being in only a few episodes here and there.
Maybe it could have worked, if they had better dialogue/story writing (other than the titan set-pieces), but imo the characters are generally lame and nondescript, and the titan twist didn't help. Imo they also would have been better off if they simply never explained the origin of the titans, since at least in the anime (haven't read the manga) it was done miserably.

Danvzare

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 12/08/2023 21:00:30Like most long-running manga (imho), it seemed like another relatively simple premise stretched to brain-numbing length.
You make it sound like that's a thing that's exclusive to manga. In my experience that describes about 99% of all long-running media.  (laugh)

KyriakosCH

If I had to guess how the show ends, it will probably be another half-baked twist about Eren's "masterplan".
But assuming they only have a 1 hour final episode to pull it off, it couldn't be convincing even if they employed the greatest writers :)
They already have ultra-convoluted Eren's plan in s4, with the usual
Spoiler
time-travel.
[close]

Speaking of which, having to wait months for a final 1 hour episode is cheap and gimmicky itself ^^

KyriakosCH

The show now officially ended, by the way.
Imo the final episode was bad, but it wasn't like it could have been different.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk