*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

JackPutter

Wow, it is so lovely to log on and see so many people who have knowledge about my country! Hurling is indeed our national sport, or should I say one of our two national sports. We also have a game called Gaelic Football which has very similar rules to hurling but instead of using a small ball and a stick, you use a larger soccer-style ball which you can kick and throw around. (I've been told it's similar to Aussie Rules Football in many ways.) They are both high-scoring, fast-moving sports, I'd encourage anyone to look at a highlights clip on YouTube if you like that kind of thing!

Despite that picture showing the Kilkenny hurling team, the film is actually NOT an Irish film, though a large portion of it was set and shot in Dublin. Here's the title shot, minus the title:

Oh, and it's not Babel!

Mandle

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 15/08/2020 17:24:33
And like milkanannan said, hurling is most definitely Irish.

Ah, yes, sorry. I was thinking of the Caber Toss.

Slasher

Ek Tha Tiger

Ek Tha Tiger was filmed primarily in India, as well as several in other locations in Turkey, Ireland, and Cuba, and was initially scheduled for release in June 2012, before being released worldwide on August 15, 2012.

An Indian Hindi-language romantic action thriller film directed and co-written by Kabir Khan, and produced by Aditya Chopra.

Sequel: Ek Tha Tiger 2...  Tiger Zinda Hai ( transl. 'Tiger is alive')...  ;)

JackPutter

Well done, Slasher! That is exactly right! I hadn't seen any Bollywood movies in this thread so I decided to throw one in. My next picture was going to be from one of the scenes set in Istanbul, just to mess with Laura...

If anyone is looking for an "entry level" Bollywood movie, I can't recommend Ek Tha Tiger highly enough. It's really accessible to western audiences, there's only a handful of moments where they play up the typical Bollywood tropes so it's a great way for newcomers to get accustomed to the style. It's a pretty creative film, it's shot very well, there are some great music themes, it's a little on the longer side but I think it earns its run time. The performances are all solid, though the dialogue is a little clunky sometimes. (That could be down to the translation though.) The action scenes are very thrilling and fun, without being overly silly. On a scale of "realistic" to "preposterous" I think it's somewhere between The Bourne Identity and 2 Fast 2 Furious. Think Goldeneye with a smaller budget and a great big love story thrown in.

It's actually pretty well liked in Ireland, and not just because a good 40 minutes of the movie is set here. It actually does a pretty good job of portraying modern Ireland, I dare say it actually has a more accurate portrayal than a lot of Hollywood movies that try to include Ireland in some way. Plus it's the only movie where you'll see Salman Kahn pursuing baddies through the mean streets of Dublin's inner city...

https://streamable.com/lvede

I only found out that there was a sequel in the past couple of weeks, I'm excited to track it down and give it a watch!

Slasher

One of my favorite British gangster films...But which film is it?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: JackPutter on Sun 16/08/2020 23:06:53
Well done, Slasher! That is exactly right! I hadn't seen any Bollywood movies in this thread so I decided to throw one in. My next picture was going to be from one of the scenes set in Istanbul, just to mess with Laura...

:P :P :P

Mandle

Slasher

Quintaros

"Brighton Rock"?

Slasher

Yarrrrr  Quintaros. Your turn  (nod)

Quintaros

I'd never heard of "Brighton Rock" before but it came up on a couple of lists of best British Film Noirs so now I want to check it out.

Next entry:

milkanannan

Maybe you’re picking up on the earlier Ireland talk and have gone with The Dubliners?

LimpingFish

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 21/08/2020 18:10:11
Maybe you’re picking up on the earlier Ireland talk and have gone with The Dubliners?

I don't think there is a film called The Dubliners, but there is a film called The Dead, which is from Joyce's Dubliners. And, since they show it on TV every Christmas over here, I've seen it more times than I care to count. Of the top of my head, I don't recall that image featuring, but I could be wrong.

Michael Collins?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Quintaros

milkanannan

The original Dr Dolittle?

Or perhaps The Darwin Adventure?

LimpingFish

Is that Christoper Plummer? With a pipe?

Hmm...a Sherlock Holmes pipe?

Murder by Decree?

Quintaros

LimpingFish