*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Compare the monster transition here with the raw footage from a workprint here and tell me that's an in-camera effect. (Edit: The Wikipedia page for Gryphon Software Morph lists Bram Stoker's Dracula as one of the movies it was used in – though citation is needed for the claim – so I'm going to assume that's how it was done.)

Shortly afterwards, the workprint also shows Mina without the scar in the shot where it's supposed to vanish, proving that this effect was not achieved practically or by double exposure of the original negative (if it were, no print without the effect would exist – a point you could also make about the transition), but is done optically. (Though it's a very simple optical effect that probably didn't even require a matte.)

The other shot I strongly suspect of being an optical composite is at 1:55:48 – I think the fringe around the falling figure (which I don't believe you'd get with a simple double exposure – also he'd be transparent) gives it away. And finally, someone on Reddit claims that the blue rings of ghost fire were also done in post, which seems plausible. I do note that the special effects crew listing on IMDB includes a number of credits for "optical supervisor", "optical lineup", "optical effects", etc. ... as well as "digital effects artist (uncredited)".

So while the bulk of the effects (not counting simple cross-fades, which are probably mostly optical) were no doubt done in-camera, I'm also convinced that there are some optical and even computer effects in the film. Probably the aim was to have it all done without, but in the end there were a handful of shots they just couldn't get any other way.

Ben X

Okay, you convinced me! That's a shame, even if they managed the other 99%.

LimpingFish

When I first saw Bram Stoker's Dracula back in '92, I really didn't it like it. Over the years, and as my tastes have changed, I've come to realise that it's actually a really enjoyable (and visually stunning) take on the story that deserves a lot more praise than it gets.

Now, I may be crazy, but is that an awkward freeze-frame of John Cleese?
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Quintaros

Mary Shelleys Frankenstein. 

It seems to get panned in comparison to Bram Stokers Dracula but I quite like it also.

VampireWombat

And to think, I thought the screenshot looked a little like Bruce Willis. Maybe people see who they want to see...

Snarky

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/E3To10v.png?1[/imgzoom]

Quote from: LimpingFish on Mon 19/11/2018 19:43:58
Now, I may be crazy, but is that an awkward freeze-frame of John Cleese?

By God, apparently it is! I would never have guessed. I still don't see it, in fact.

Ben X

Well, I don't know about "awkward freeze-frame" but it certainly is Cleese, and Quintaros is right about it being Mary Shelley's Frankenstein!

Quintaros

I won't get an opportunity to post a new entry for a few days so my round is up for grabs.

LimpingFish

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?

Danvzare

Tycho Magnetic Anomaly

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone  was correct, well done :)

Only saw this for the first time the other day,  was alright i guess, for the era/budget

Jack

What level of spacefaring civilisation makes their chairs from tape, and how long until we get there?

LimpingFish

Quote from: Tycho Magnetic Anomaly on Wed 21/11/2018 16:53:47
Only saw this for the first time the other day,  was alright i guess, for the era/budget

I was aware of this movie forever, possibly since relatively soon after it came out (I distinctly remember the VHS box), yet I only actually watched it last year. It's weird how particular movies can hover around the periphery of our awareness for what seems like our entire life, yet we sometimes never get around to watching them.

And, yeah, it wasn't bad for a Molly Ringwald-starring PG Mad Max/Star Wars hybrid.

Quote from: Jack on Wed 21/11/2018 19:34:54
What level of spacefaring civilisation makes their chairs from tape, and how long until we get there?

What's more disconcerting is the tatty socks Peter Strauss is sporting while piloting his spaceship.

Anyhoo...

Quintaros

LimpingFish

Quote from: Quintaros on Wed 21/11/2018 20:27:44
Brigsby Bear?

Nope.

EDIT: Still no takers? How about...THIS?

Clue: This movie is available on Netflix.

Yeah, not much of a clue, but there you go.

Ben X

Yakuza Apocalypse: The Great War Of The Underworld?

LimpingFish

Ben X

I took another look at the first pic and realised a) that's a frog not a bear and b) those guys look Asian. Google got me there pretty quickly after that...

Next one, no link to previous (except it's on Netflix!):

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/OqP34HN.png[/imgzoom]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk