*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

That's the main actor in the previous pic there.

Okay, a recognisable face here before I'll look for better clues to the main actor.

[imgzoom]http://techtroupe.net/posted/agsForum_movieTitle_160.jpg[/imgzoom]

Snarky

Edge of Darkness? There's something Mel Gibson-y about that guy on the couch.

Snarky

And another. Turns out this movie just expired from the streaming service where I watched it last week, so I guess I'll be framegrabbing the trailer.

Jack

Snarky

Buckethead

Snarky

milkanannan

Kweepa

Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Snarky

Nope and nope.

Two caps for the price of one (since I don't think the first one will be very useful, but I just like the shot):

milkanannan

Oh is it a French movie? I remember something about a movie producer with family that ends up killing himself halfway through and the rest of the film is the family carrying on. Depressing, but pretty well filmed.

Snarky

It's not French, but the plot is similar enough to what you describe that you might just be mixing up some details. It was nominated for a bunch of awards at Cannes. Another couple of non-helpful/helpful caps:

Kumpel

Snarky

That's the one. Compared to what manifest class remembered, it's basically an American film (though the main filmmakers are Norwegian: the director is Joachim Trier), it's not the father but the mother who commits suicide (and the movie starts a couple of years afterwards, though there are a lot of flashbacks), and she's a conflict photojournalist, not a movie producer.

I thought it was a little underwhelming, unfortunately. I can't quite put my finger on anything specifically wrong or not well done, but it never made me believe in the reality of what I was seeing: instead I was just watching Jesse Eisenberg, Gabriel Byrne, Amy Ryan, Isabelle Huppert, David Strathairn (too many famous actors! maybe that's part of the problem...) and Devin Druid moping around playing pretend.

milkanannan

Oh OK, I think I might have seen part of Louder than Bombs, too. Rings a bell. I'm definitely not confusing it with the French one I mentioned, as the scene where the dad shoots himself (randomly in public while standing alone on a side street) has burned itself into my memory...wish I could remember the name. It was a cool movie. If anyone reads this and knows what I'm talking about, please share the name.

Kumpel

I really liked that movie. it was pretty silent and giving Isabelle Hupert only a glimpse of the movie time is a crazy move by director Joachim Trier that really paid off for me. His new flick "Thelma" is even better. This film maker could become the next ingmar bergmann for me.

next one hidden for huge- and weirdness (laugh)
Spoiler
[close]

Quintaros

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk