*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckethead

The eerie close ups really stuck with me so it was an easy guess.

I'm not sure which movie to post now so I decided on this really easy one:

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Buckethead on Wed 05/06/2019 17:43:04
The eerie close ups really stuck with me so it was an easy guess.

I'm not sure which movie to post now so I decided on this really easy one:

This is also Inland Empire! Well, to be precise, this is David Lynch's "Rabbits", which is a series of short films, some fragments of which also got used in Inland Empire.

milkanannan

Wow, I thought I had seen most of Lynch's stuff. Somehow missed Rabbits. The episodes have been strung together on YouTube, if anyone else is interested:

Here's my humble interpretation:
Spoiler

Maybe I'm being too literal, but I thought the entire thing was based on some dark family secret that happened at the hands of Jack. The family is obviously working class and in need of his income, so everyone --including a guilt stricken Jack-- is holding on. The dialogue is partly each character's internal monologue and partly a real dialogue.

I found a completely different interpretation online which is a much more complex story (kind of interesting):

JACK: I need to tell you something. I almost forgot. I have a secret.
SUZIE: Oh?
JACK: I will bet you are both wondering.
JANE: Are you going to tell?
JACK: I am not sure.
SUZIE: When will you tell it?
JACK: I am not sure.
JANE: I'm going to find out one day.
JACK: Let me tell you.
(Seeing that they will eventually learn the secret anyway, Jack tells them his secret.)

(Jane has her own secret, too. The next day after Jack's revelation, she also opens up.)
JANE: There is something I would like to say to you, Suzie. No one can know about this. It happened like that earlier. (referencing what Jack experienced and his revelation about it) I was speaking about the other night. I have known since I was seven. (There may be an age discrepancy between Jack and Jane)
JACK: Since then? Who could have known?
JANE: I saw it too.
JACK: It happens all the time.
JANE: It happened to me only once. I almost forgot.
JACK: When did you go out? (and the demon got in?)
JANE: I went earlier, when it was just light. And then, there it was.
SUZIE: Where was it exactly, do you remember?
JANE: I was near the harbor after it happened. It was raining.
JACK: I knew that was what happened each time I thought about it. (Probably back then, Jack felt that Jane experienced possession, but he didn't dare to talk about it until today, when Jane herself opens up.)
JACK: Where was I? (Why didn't I try to protect you?)
SUZIE: You could not do anything? (to Jack, kind of blaming him)
JACK: No. Nothing.
SUZIE: Why? (again, questioning, as the only person who has not yet experienced possesion)

JANE: I do not know where Jack is.
SUZIE: He goes to work each morning, and then he comes back home each night. It has always been like that. (The two women are naturally worried about Jack's state when he is not at home, the only place they feel safe.)

(Jack comes in and we hear loud applause, because he managed to come home safe and sound one more day!)
JACK: Were there any calls?
SUZIE: There have been no calls today.
(The devil gives them occasional calls, reminding them of their utter doom and they are anxious about these calls.)

(The they hear noises outside the door.)
JACK: I hear someone.
SUZIE: I heard it too.
JANE: I could hear it also.
SUZIE: It must be the rain. (trying to soothe/deceive herself)
JACK: It is the rain. (acceptng the soothing illusion)
JANE: I do not think it is the rain. (facing the reality)
JACK: Quiet.
SUZIE: It was the voice of a man. (finally verbalising the feared thing)
(Jack goes out to look.)
JACK: It was a man in a green suit.
(The man in the green suit of course is the devil, just dropiing by to disturb them.)

SUZIE: There was a call for you, earlier in the day.
JACK: Who was it? (Suzie does not answer, because the caller's identity is obvious.)
JACK: Did he say anything? (Suzie does not answer, maybe the caller didn't say anything at all, or said things too scary to tell.)

(But the phone rings once again! Jack answers this time, after a long pause of hesitataion.)
JANE: Who was on the phone?
JACK: It was the man in the green coat. (Two calls in one day?!) It may have been a coincidence. A coincidence. (Again trying to soothe the women, but Suzie's doom is close.)

JANE: It is still raining. (trying to break the silence, but the others remain silent) I said it looks like it is still raining.
SUZIE: When did you say that? (I wasn't even listening to you.) It is still raining. (saying the same sentence as Jane, pointing at the fakeness of this attempt to break the silence)
JANE: All day. All day. (twice)

JANE: Do not forget that today is Friday. (Do possessions take place on Fridays? Probably. Jane warns Suzie.)
SUZIE: What time is it?
JACK: It must be after 7:00 p.m.
SUZIE: Is it that late?
JACK: It may even be later.
SUZIE: (after checking the time herself) It is 8:35 p.m. (Do possessions take place late at midnight? Probably. That's also why whenever the time is mentioned, we hear a laughter, which points to the doom getting closer and closer. The clock is ticking haha!)

JANE: It is 11:15 p.m., it is dark outside.
SUZIE: And getting darker. There is no moon tonight. (Suzie starts getting really afraid.)
JANE: Well then, it must be very dark. I do not think it will be much longer now. (Get ready, Suzie!) I was wondering when Suzie was going to do that. (She is the last one and her time finally came!)
SUZIE: I wonder who I will be. (The possession turns you into someone/something else, Suzie wonders what her transformation will be like.)
JACK: Do not forget what I have told you. When it happens, you will know it. (As an 'experienced' friend, he gives advice to Suzie.)
SUZIE: I am going to get them. (She is desperately hoping that she can battle these demons in some way.)
JANE: I only wish that they would go somewhere. (She is more hopeless. Rather than battling, she just wishes that they would just go away.)
JACK: We are not going anywhere. (Jack is possessed at this point, and it is the demon inside him talking, telling Suzie that they are not going anywhere, so stop battling!)
SUZIE: I have heard those things being said before. (I don't believe you. I can manage! I can resist!)

SUZIE: It's past midnight! (The time for me has come!)

SUZIE: There is something here! (confronting her demon) Where was it? (It is gone, probably because it is inside her now.) I have misplaced it. I am sure of it now. (misplaced = within herself) Where is it that you think I meant? (What I meant is inside myself.)

JACK: Were you blonde? Suzie? (during your possession?)
SUZIE: It did not happen that way. (So different people experince it differently.) It was red. (explaining the red color coming inside when the door is opened by itself and we hear the characters screaming.)

[close]

Laura Hunt

Quote from: man n fist on Thu 06/06/2019 04:39:06
Wow, I thought I had seen most of Lynch's stuff. Somehow missed Rabbits. The episodes have been strung together on YouTube, if anyone else is interested:

Here's my humble interpretation:
Spoiler

Maybe I'm being too literal, but I thought the entire thing was based on some dark family secret that happened at the hands of Jack. The family is obviously working class and in need of his income, so everyone --including a guilt stricken Jack-- is holding on. The dialogue is partly each character's internal monologue and partly a real dialogue.
[close]

I also tend to go for the more literal interpretation, but I don't care that much either way. It's all about the atmosphere for me rather than the meaning (nod)

ok, so I guess... there goes another one?

lorenzo

lorenzo

I like Jarmusch. And it helps that the only other film with Winona Ryder that I've seen is Beetlejuice. So, that was an easy guess. (laugh)

Next:

Jack

"I didn't know sche had a gun. I wash jush waiting for my martini."

LimpingFish

That's The Offence, which Sean Connery starred in between his last (official) Bond outing, and the bonkers majesty of Zardoz!

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

lorenzo

It was quite a change from 007...
Your turn, LimpingFish!

LimpingFish

Sorry for the delay.

Let's have another GIF, and an easy one for fans of truly demented cinematic experiences!

Ponch

Been ages since I saw it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "Ricky Oh"?

Mandle

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 08/06/2019 22:49:28
Been ages since I saw it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess "Ricky Oh"?

Correct!

Ponch

The Story of Ricky Oh is a masterpiece of excess and silliness (much like Scanners).

And speaking of movies with exploding heads, here's a flick that made my head explode when I saw it.

Frodo

Look Into My Eyes:  You Are Feeling Sleepy Part II?    :tongue:

Ponch

Snarky

Ponch

Nein!

Here's another pic.

VampireWombat

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk