*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 18/09/2019 23:07:44
Anyone is welcome to jump in here. If no one does after a while I will post something.

EDIT: I just saw that Nostalgia Critic just put out a video on The Wall... Is it some kind of anniversary or just a coincidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4EZW3_XuA

Welp, 15 minutes of this video have been enough to remind me of why I don't watch Nostalgia Critic.

VampireWombat

My guess is... Camp Nowhere?

edit: wait... the hair... the overalls. Could it be The Lawnmower Man?

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 19/09/2019 07:50:23
Welp, 15 minutes of this video have been enough to remind me of why I don't watch Nostalgia Critic.
If you made it that far, I guess it's not the sketches...

Laura Hunt

Quote from: VampireWombat on Thu 19/09/2019 13:17:03
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 19/09/2019 07:50:23
If you made it that far, I guess it's not the sketches...

And my guess is... Camp Nowhere?

edit: wait... the hair... the overalls. Could it be The Lawnmower Man?

I... have literally no idea what you're talking about :-D I just kind of dislike him because (at least to me) he comes across as someone who believes himself to be far smarter and funnier than he actually is. That smugness. Ick.

TheFrighter

Not Mandle, not VampireWombat.

_

Mandle

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 19/09/2019 13:48:55
That smugness. Ick.

To be fair, that's a character he plays and he usually does have something worthwhile to say about the films but usually towards the end, after the riffing is done.

In the case of The Wall, he makes a point that he would have preferred to learn more about the grotesque characters in the animations (in an amazing sequence that must have cost quite a bit).

Not for everyone though I'm sure.

My guess:

I Know What You Did Last Summer.

Ben X

You say 90s but it looks like it's set in the 70s so I'm going to guess Dazed And Confused.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Ben X on Fri 20/09/2019 02:27:33
You say 90s but it looks like it's set in the 70s so I'm going to guess Dazed And Confused.

Correct, Ben X!

Indeed is Richard Linklater's Dazed And Confused!

I remember it was an "instant-cult" in the 1993... until the instant passed.  (laugh) Pratically about '70s teenager that wastes their time in stupid pranks, drinking beer and smoking weeds. But not enough sex. A bit moralistic.

This movie had a cast of future stars:  Matthew McConaughey, Milla Johonovich, Ben Affleck and a very young RenĂ© Zellweger!

_

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 19/09/2019 22:40:59
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 19/09/2019 13:48:55
That smugness. Ick.
In the case of The Wall, he makes a point that he would have preferred to learn more about the grotesque characters in the animations (in an amazing sequence that must have cost quite a bit).

Oops, missed this one.

All the metaphors and characters are absolutely straightforward to decipher (the loss of his father in the war when he was a child, the memories of air raid sirens and bombings, a disintegrating marriage, a controlling mother, abusive teachers, etc). If I was able to understand the whole movie without anybody explaining anything to me at the age of 15, I would assume a supposed film critic should too ;)

(Or maybe we were just smarter then because we didn't have recaps and youtube videos explaining things to us? :-D *Old Aunt Yells At Cloud To Get Off Her Lawn Because Kids These Days*)

Ben X

Dammit, I immediately forgot that I was stepping back from making guesses! Ok, I'll find a movie I have easily screencappable access to...

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/B1Cs4IN.png[/imgzoom]

Hints: this movie shares an actor with Dazed & Confused, and you will definitely want to use the zoom function to pick out some details!

Laura Hunt

Pitch Black.

The Dark Tower.

Don't be afraid of the Dark.

Alone in the Dark.

Fifty Shades Darker.

30 Days of Night.

I can go on... :-D

Snarky

Highlighting it actually brings out a bit of detail. Oh! There's a dude standing right in the middle of the picture!

The Descent?

Ben X

Well spotted, Snarky!

Does either of those films share an actor with Dazed & Confused?

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/W8pVav1.png[/imgzoom]

Ben X

Oh yeah, Cole Hauser! Wow, very good guess then, but incorrect.

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/oNHNHWF.png[/imgzoom]

Mandle

Looks too silly to be Tropic Thunder (and RDJ did the black-face in that) so...

Zoolander?

Ben X

Correct! The shared actor is Milla Jovovich.

Mandle

Sweet! I'm a bit busy so someone else can do the next one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk