*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFrighter

The title of this movie is very simple, so this time you have to say also the director's name.

_

Mandle

Praying Mantis by James Keach?

TheFrighter

(laugh)

A movie that I'd like to watch... but not.

_

lorenzo

It's Argento's Dracula 3D, isn't it? That film was so bad!

LimpingFish

Quote from: lorenzo on Wed 09/10/2019 20:31:17
It's Argento's Dracula 3D, isn't it? That film was so bad!

Ooh, beat me to it!

Also, I think "bad" is too broad a term to use when discussing almost anything he made past 1987. It's all pretty bad, but there are varying degrees of badness to consider. Dracula 3D is bad, but is it as bad as The Card Player or Mother of Tears? Does that make it better or worse than Giallo? Being an Argento fan is...complicated. :-\
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

TheFrighter

Lorenzo is correct!

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 09/10/2019 22:39:36

Also, I think "bad" is too broad a term to use when discussing almost anything he made past 1987. It's all pretty bad, but there are varying degrees of badness to consider. Dracula 3D is bad, but is it as bad as The Card Player or Mother of Tears? Does that make it better or worse than Giallo? Being an Argento fan is...complicated. :-\

What I can say... Apart the idea of Dracula that morph in a giant mantis (!) this movie is a smooth copy of Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker Dracula. Not really innovative, just another of the bunch.

Here's the (in)famous Dracula-mantis scene:

_

Gilbert

Because of the mantis shot, I was going to say Meet the Applegates(which did appear somewhere in this very thread I think), but it seemed a bit off(I don't know, may be the time period it's supposed to be in didn't look right?) so I just passed.

lorenzo

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 09/10/2019 22:39:36

Haha, definitely! Luckily, I avoided most of Argento's more recent films. What I saw wasn't that good, so I didn't persevere (laugh).

I liked some of his early stuff: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage was a nice movie, The Cat o' Nine Tails wasn't that bad, Deep Red is probably his best film, and Suspiria didn't really convince me, but it had some good scenes and lightning. I liked the style of his early films, but they always felt like there was something lacking, to me. Maybe I'm just not that much into the genre.

Anyway, next image:

lorenzo

Yes! (nod) You were really quick!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: lorenzo on Thu 10/10/2019 20:49:34
Yes! (nod) You were really quick!

Hahah my uncle on my mom's side was REALLY into 70's prog rock, stuff like Genesis, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, EL&P etc. Most of it didn't really rub off on me, but I did enjoy the weirder stuff, and the "Tommy" movie was just insane :-D

I'll look for something to post tomorrow morning!

Mandle

Mandle

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 11/10/2019 07:43:06
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/10/2019 07:38:14
Tideland?

That was fast! Yes!

A movie I didn't like when I first saw it when it first came out but somehow has stuck with me to this day.

That little psychopath especially!

(I should give it another try I think.)

New pic coming soon.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/10/2019 14:08:02
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Fri 11/10/2019 07:43:06
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 11/10/2019 07:38:14
Tideland?

That was fast! Yes!

A movie I didn't like when I first saw it when it first came out but somehow has stuck with me to this day.

That little psychopath especially!

(I should give it another try I think.)

It really is an extremely unsettling movie. I'd also like to give it a rewatch sometime.

Mandle

Oh damn... I forgot it's my turn. New pic coming soon!

Mandle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk