OROW: 1st of August. RESULTS.

Started by Dualnames, Fri 29/07/2011 14:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

The official 7thOROW competition commences on the 1st of August!
That means you have 168 hours from August 1st.

Rules:
   Entries can be any genre, and you're restricted to using AGS as an engine.
   Entries may have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside/inside the  main room.
   Entries will be submitted anonymously, more on that below.

To quote scotch
There is no room restriction, might seem funny for a "One Room" competition, but it always ends in discussions about what a room is and I want to see if people have the restraint not to aim too high.  So you are allowed to do what you like but be aware of what people have managed to make in past OROW competitions.  It is much better to aim low and get something done than to aim for what you think is the most you can do in a week (you probably won't be able to do half of what you expect).  

Some questions about the rules, are answered in here.

Anonymous submission (taken from Bulbapuck)

An important aspect in this competition is the anonymity. This means that you cannot share any information about your entry. Nor can your game contain your name. This is because the game should be voted on by it's own merits.

You submit the game by sending me a link via PM. I will then upload it to another site.

The winner will be decided by public vote once the competition ends. There will be 5 categories: Best Game, GRAPHICS, CONCEPT/WRITING, SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN, PROGRAMMING/CODING. Each category will be scored out of 5. Voters will be expected to have played, and to vote on, at least half of all games entered. However, of course, playing them all is preferable.

This competition will start on 1st of August. You should not start making your game until then. Even if you think you have no chance of winning, you're encouraged to enter - it's as much a forum activity as a contest.

Absolutely no information about your game should be shared with anyone until the competition and voting has ended. Please reply to this post if you intend to take part, but don't give any idea of what your game will be about.

ENTRANTS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:
AJA - Barrier
BICILOTTI - RapSqLud
CAT - Apple Farm
DDQ - Aeterna Duel
DUALNAMES - Requiem
FSI - De_Haunt
PMARTIN - The Devil Got My Woman
PONCH - ODR3
RADIANT - One Room One Cheese
SHIVERMESIDEWAYS - Procrastinator
TZACHS - Office Shenanigans
WYZ - Entrapped
NEMO - Why Am I Such A Little Bitch?

THIS OROW AND MY ENTRY ARE DEDICATED TO CHICKY. He may not have any good games, but he's awesome beyond comparison. He's so awesome, that we call women and a certain animal by his name, to honor him.

Best Game
5% (2)    AETERNA DUEL
7% (3)    APPLE FARM
34% (13)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
18% (7)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
7% (3)    ODR3
7% (3)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD V0.3
0% (0)    REQUIEM
0% (0)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST GRAPHICS

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
10% (4)    APPLE FARM
44% (17)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
0% (0)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
2% (1)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
18% (7)    ODR3
2% (1)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST CONCEPT/WRITING

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
13% (5)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED
10% (4)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
15% (6)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
10% (4)    ODR3
13% (5)    PROCRASTINATOR
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
23% (9)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN

13% (5)    AETERNA DUEL
15% (6)    BARRIER
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
15% (6)    REQUIEM
10% (4)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
0% (0)    PROCRASTINATOR
5% (2)    ODR3
21% (8 )    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
5% (2)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED

BEST PROGRAMMING/CODING

18% (7)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
2% (1)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
5% (2)    ENTRAPPED
2% (1)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
26% (10)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
2% (1)    ODR3
5% (2)    PROCRASTINATOR
18% (7)    RAPSQLUD
10% (4)    REQUIEM

And the winner, by what can be called an OMFG UNEXPECTED reaction, AJA!
For an eternity in a row!!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Gilbert

Quote from: Dualnames on Fri 29/07/2011 14:46:04
and you're not restricted to using AGS as an engine.
Did you read my reply? I highly recommend that you drop this. :P

Dualnames

Quote from: Iceboty V7000a on Fri 29/07/2011 14:50:43
and you're not restricted to using AGS as an engine.
Did you read my reply? I highly recommend that you drop this. :P

I did read your reply, but i felt the stupid impulse to ignore it. With AGS gone open-source, it may end up an interesting competition. Or it may not. Time will tell.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ryan Timothy B

I agree with this challenge being AGS exclusive.

bicilotti

Regarding rules:

What the heck, it could be interesting to see it, for once!

I'm into this.

Ryan Timothy B

IF it's going to be the rule, the rule should also state that the game must be a standalone game. I don't want to see any "You must download so and so program, set it up, install these DLL's, etc etc, just so you can play my game".

But I still think it's retarded. OROW has always been AGS exclusive, why change the rules now just because AGS went open-source? How does that change anything at all? If you want a use any game creator to make an OROW game challenge, then make a different challenge later. I imagine lots of people could make tons of cool looking 3D games with easy to use particle effects and such modules/plugins. Or me making a simple physics game with box2d in flash. How do you compare an AGS game to something like that?

Chicky

Screw using other programs, i can't even use AGS yet  :(

qptain Nemo

I love AGS competitions, and I love the spirit of AGS competitions, and I love people who take part in them and I love what they make. And man, I adore the community. And that's exactly why I don't want it all to be lost to blind worship of the engine itself and "use AGS or fuck off" attitude. I love and understand the tradition, but still it wouldn't be nice in my opinion for that tradition to turn into alienation of everybody or everything else. I want to join in with AGS people, but I don't want to use AGS for my game, why can't I, Gilbot and Ryan? Why?

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Fri 29/07/2011 15:10:25
If you want a use any game creator to make an OROW game challenge, then make a different challenge later.
That's a very valid suggestion and maybe a more wise way than trying to redefine a tradition... however, does it really differ that much from what we have now, except the possible name of it?

I imagine lots of people could make tons of cool looking 3D games with easy to use particle effects and such modules/plugins. Or me making a simple physics game with box2d in flash.
You see that as a bad thing? Seriously? You don't want tons of cool looking 3D games? You're a very strange man to say the least.

How do you compare an AGS game to something like that?
By the enjoyment? By the usual standarts you compare games with really. You can never  compare any games unless they're made with the exact same engine and toolset? Do I really need to point out that adding "cool effects" doesn't instantly make your game to be a winner above everybody else's? Oh no, these poor indie competitions where any game making tools are allowed, they must be in complete doom, not being able to compare or compete at all!

If AGS itself is THAT important let's stop talking about adventure games and doing creative fun things then, let's just read AGS source code together over and over again not daring to touch a single letter in it until our minds go completely numb in that very special blissful bonding with nostalgia and everloyal love for the software tool.

tzachs

I am hereby declaring my interest in participating in the above competition.
if I were to submit an entry, that entry will be made via the software known by the name of 'AGS', though I bare no objection myself to other contenders using other forms of software, be it the despicable 'Wintermute' or the beloved tool 'Microsoft Word'.

Radiant

If games can be of any genre, i.e. not just adventure games, how would they be scored on "puzzles"?

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Fri 29/07/2011 15:25:49
Do I really need to point out that adding "cool effects" doesn't instantly make your game to be a winner above everybody else's?
Look at last OROW's winner, By The Numbers. If you were to have just two small character sprites talking to each other with the same dialog, it would just be a plain detective game with mostly just talking, no real detective skills. Mostly just a movie, no puzzles or real challenges.

Not that I'm bashing the game and the work that went into it. I thought it was quite amazing. But it's mostly just pretty effects to make a simple game look amazing. I didn't actually play all the other OROW games that time, so I don't know fully what the game was up against, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was voted as the winner mainly because of it's cool vector animations.

Dualnames

@Radiant: Puzzles can be replaced by Gameplay. And of course that stands for both adventure games and non-adventure games.

@Ryan: I'd be a total liar, if i didn't agree with your very flawless and logical points.

@nemo: I'd be a total liar, if i didn't agree with your very flawless and logical points.

@tzachs: That's the spirit!

@Everyone: I have no idea whether using other engines is the right step here. I don't want to frighten or disappoint anyone away, if it's anything I feel the whole community would benefit. AGS games have proven themselves in the INDIE community over the years, I don't recall a single amazing AGS game, that wasn't featured on Indiegames, for instance. And yet there are other engines. I feel OROW is a competition of complete and utter awesomeness, and I'd like to make anything during an OROW. I totally loved the time I spent on my entries, and we can always remember OROM, a MAGS contest I'll always consider the quite most amazing one, where we had two amazing games, Eternally Us and Snakes of Avalon, both widely acclaimed.

If you're scared the competition will be full of shitty flash games, I can remember shitty AGS games, but OROWs were always up to great quality in general.

If you're scared a physics game will win, then compare a physics game to By the Numbers, and think again. Compare all the amazing games we've had over the years under the OROW rule.

Regardless, if the majority is considering this a false move, I will shape the rule back to normal.

Also I agree with the whole standalone thingie.

LimpingFish

Making it non-AGS exclusive is a bit of silly move. OROW can be a great way to get AGS mentioned outside of these forums (a number of indie/amateur gaming blogs usually carry something about OROW when it happens), and diluting the competition with Game Maker/Flash/RPGMaker/etc, renders the whole thing moot in my opinion.

I can't get behind this decision.

EDIT: Starting another competion (that isn't tied too closely to AGS) would be something I could get behind.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Dualnames

OROW is back to normal. AGS-Only.

Dualnames

Now, Chicky, what is your AVATAR? PLX tell me. I've been dying to find out !

Chicky

It's a pretty girl i scribbled on. I wish she was still pretty, i guess her beauty is lost in the depths of the interweb.

Armageddon

I think I'll try again this year.

Also is that you in the avatar chicky?

Chicky

Yeah sorry, i'm not all that pretty really.

Armageddon

If I had a penny for every girl that thought they weren't pretty I'd be a jabillionare.

Tabata

Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 30/07/2011 02:29:47
If I had a penny for every girl that thought they weren't pretty I'd be a jabillionare.
But no penny from Chicky for you, because he isn't a girl, that thinks it's not pretty  ;)

Wonkyth

Nah, Chicky really is beautiful.

On topic: I'd love to participate, but I'll be hard at work doing school stuff.
However, I'd love to find the time to throw a few hours of work at a project...
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

ShiverMeSideways

As I've previously stated, I'm totally in - it's the perfect occasion to finally make a proper adventure game and it also gives me the perfect excuse in case it really really really really really sucks (which it will, oh, lordy!).

I'm scribbling concept stuff on a notebook right now even! A little pre-planning is allowed before the compo, right? ;o

Dualnames

Yes, some planning is allowed. As long as you scan those and send them to me. And give me your personal bank account PIN and details.

Jen Borden

Whatever it is you did, you probably shouldn't have.

straydogstrut

Last night's Livestream of Ben Jordan has me all fired up again - dare I say I might attempt this.

Entries may have cut scenes, menus or limited controlled sequences outside the main room.

What about cut scenes/controlled sequences inside the room, like transitions to show the passage of time? Might just go with a simple fade in/out stating the time though (now where did I see that..)

Nice one Dually!=D

P.S. I see Chicky's scribbles more as black tentacles of death pouring from her (his) eyes..in reverse

Dualnames

Quote from: straydogstrut on Sun 31/07/2011 11:09:49
What about cut scenes/controlled sequences inside the room, like transitions to show the passage of time? Might just go with a simple fade in/out stating the time though (now where did I see that..)

Of course those are allowed as well.  ;)

Wyz

Why wasn't I informed!?
Well I guess I have to enter this since I haven't made games for a while. I haven't got an idea so it's time to open a bottle of creativity juice. ;)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Chicky

It's officially go go go in the UK  ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Chicky on Mon 01/08/2011 00:57:22
It's officially go go go in the UK  ;)

It's not go time here for another five hours. And by that time I'll be in bed.  Curse you, time zones! You win again! >:(

Bulbapuck

Dualnames

Chicky

Remeber kids, keep the current MAGS topic in mind. Contingency plan!  :=

pmartin

Christ, I had a idea and then after 4 hours of work realized it was a bad one. I think this OROW is going to drive me mad!

AJA

Insanity is the only way to survive OROW.

That said, I fear I may be going sane...

Ryan Timothy B

I decided to attempt my fate at this years OROW. No idea if I'll even get close to finishing.

Edit: Removed my "Spoiling Stuff", wouldn't want anyone to know I made the game. :D

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Mon 01/08/2011 22:22:49
Spoiling stuff

Don't give away things about your game! :=

Oh, and I actually got off to a good start. I'm somewhat confident that I'll actually finish this, given that I keep this up :)

Chicky

I've never worked this hard on anything, in my life, ever. Game completion, two* walking frames.  -_-

*three

Ponch

Quote from: Chicky on Tue 02/08/2011 01:35:13
I've never worked this hard on anything, in my life, ever. Game completion, two* walking frames.  -_-

*three

So close! Why, it's practically a game now!  Keep going, Chicky! I believe in you! :D

Armageddon

Why do we only do this once a year? Why not every other month?

AJA

Then it wouldn't be such an epic event! ;)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Looks like I'll miss out on this one.  I've just got too many things going.

Ishmael

We shall see if I can squeeze another nine or so hours out of this somewhat busy week of mine for the occasion...

Dualnames

Quote from: AJA on Tue 02/08/2011 09:47:38
Then it wouldn't be such an epic event! ;)

Well, said. I hope you guys are creating stuff, yes looking at you, Chicky!
And I may have a small surprise for the unfaithful.

ShiverMeSideways

Wheee, my artwork is just as horrendous as ever! :D Today I finish the art and work on the design and tomorrow's scripting day! ^____^

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways+ on Tue 02/08/2011 13:43:29
Today I finish the art and work on the design and tomorrow's scripting day! ^____^
I've been doing nothing BUT scripting. lol Place holder graphics. I'll save the graphics for the very end. At least that way, when the week is over, I may actually have a game. More than likely not, but you never know.  :=

tzachs

Hah! I've been actually spending all my time on the placeholder art...

Ponch

Quote from: Chicky on Mon 01/08/2011 18:16:51

Since it looks like I won't make the OROW deadline, this may be my only hope of salvaging this project. :P

Dualnames

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 02/08/2011 17:31:33
Quote from: Chicky on Mon 01/08/2011 18:16:51

Since it looks like I won't make the OROW deadline, this may be my only hope of salvaging this project. :P

It's okay, you'll only make my heart bleed and i will die shortly.

Ponch

Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 02/08/2011 17:33:48

Dude, my last game shipped two and a half years late. What hope did I have of making a one week deadline?  ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 02/08/2011 17:37:34
Quote from: Dualnames on Tue 02/08/2011 17:33:48

Dude, my last game shipped two and a half years late. What hope did I have of making a one week deadline?  ;)

I've been there and done that. So yes, it's doable.  :D

Chicky

Today has been a productive day, full front walkcycle and frame 1 of the side cycle. Everything else is still in my head.  :=

Dualnames

Oh, that's great to hear, Chicks. GO GO CHICKY!  :D

Chicky

Oh oh, i also watched pt1 of densming's tutorials   :D

pmartin

Am I too fast? I just need to do one walking animation, one (spoiler) animation and then write the dialogues and the puzzles.

Does this mean that after 7 years wanting to make a game with AGS, after 7 years starting and never finishing several projects I may finally finish one?

I think I work waaaay better under pressure.

Chicky

cat

HEALTH WARNING: OROW CAN LEAD TO SLEEP DEBT

Chicky

Or sleep displacement, i've been waking up at like 2pm every day D:

Bulbapuck

I'm not sure I can do this.

Some issues IRL has deprived me of most of my free time, so I've only spent about 3-4 hours on this. I doubt I'll get that much more time, but I do have some experience in hourgames! So all hope is not lost :P

bicilotti

15:13   Dualnames   so bici how goes your orowing
15:16   bicilotti   Dualnames: I'm writing
15:16   bicilotti   I won't be able to send it to testers
15:16   bicilotti   I fear
15:16   Dualnames   
15:16   Dualnames   you better be
15:17   bicilotti   I will deliver it nontheless
15:17   bicilotti   as an hourgamer, I'm compelled to
15:19   ddq   psh
15:19   ddq   testing is for the weak
15:20   ddq   and not for the week
15:20   ddq   badum tish!
15:20   ddq   ...
15:20   ddq   i'm sorry that was terrible
15:22   bicilotti   ahah, it was quite nice, on the contrary

pmartin

Yeah. Severe sleep displacement.
Never been so happy about being unemployed.
(But somehow I've never been happy about having a job, sometimes life just isn't fair).

AJA

Well, my four days are up and I'm happy to announce that I've submitted my entry!

Best of luck to the rest of you! I'll be back on Sunday expecting to begin my week with lots of fun OROW games to play! Don't disappoint me. :)

Chicky

Man i hate you, i'm going to start programming tomorrow. Just import the PSD's and press 'make my game' right?

Ponch

Quote from: AJA on Thu 04/08/2011 23:05:18
Well, my four days are up and I'm happy to announce that I've submitted my entry!

>:(

Damn it! DAMN IT SO MUCH!!! JEALOUSY RISING... BLOOD PRESSURE... TOO... HIGH... TROUBLE... TYPING... BLAcking... out... (snore)...

Ryan Timothy B

I'm not even close to finishing. Looks like I underestimated the programming required with the little spare time I had. :(
Oh well. I'll continue as fast as I can and see where it takes me.

pmartin

It was all good when I was only drawing the sprites and setting up the game. Now I'm all late because I forgot how to script most of things in AGS. That's the trouble of working in a team in a long project, you have to keep doing in side projects what you don't do in your main one.

And when this is finished we should do a contest called "Who suffered more brain damage by orowing"  :=

AJA

Everyone, just take deep breaths, like so... ahhh, ehhh, ahhh, ehhh... And now, get back to your doomed projects! Just remember that everybody feels inadequate when they start scripting their game. Everything feels like crap. (And it might even be crap.) But in the end it will turn out not to be quite as crappy as you feared. And that's the thought that will get you through OROW with most of your limbs intact.

QuoteAnd when this is finished we should do a contest called "Who suffered more brain damage by orowing"  :=

Oh man, I would have won that contest last year... (A reminder for those who've not seen it.) Don't click the link! You should be busy with your game, remember?

pmartin

Kill yourself would you? I clicked the damn link.

I bet you just posted the link so we lose 15 minutes of work. That's cheating.
:b

AJA

Dualnames

I hope for a lot of last minute entries, eh! So far the competition has a fair and very positive amount of entries from amazing members.

I'm also working on a little something of an entry, we'll see.

ddq

I'll submit my entry, no matter how half-assed and unfinished it may be in two days time. Hopefully everything will come together. Right now. Over me.

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Sat 06/08/2011 04:32:50
Hopefully everything will come together. Right now. Over me.

DDQ got walrus gumboot. He got Ono sideboard. He one spinal cracker...

I too will enter whatever gaming scraps I've managed to cobble together by then.  :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Wow, it's already Friday?  I was just going to offer to help out with someone else's entry since I don't have time to do one myself.

Guess I should have thought of that five days ago.

If someone still needs some help with art assets or music or programming, you can PM me and I'll see what I can do if I haven't already signed on to help someone by then.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 06/08/2011 05:24:31
Wow, it's already Friday?  I was just going to offer to help out with someone else's entry since I don't have time to do one myself.

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU?!?!?  ;)

pmartin

I'm making so many mistakes and playing the game over and over again so many times that every time  I see the main character I feel like I just made the worst game in the whole world.

And since we're quoting The Beatles, I'll quote Velvet Underground because someone HAS to do it.

"I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears"

Bulbapuck

Yeah, I'm not gonna be able to do this.

I thought I would get some time for it this weekend, but alas, I didn't.. I've got some stuff done and the story and puzzles are finished, so I'll probably finish it up at some point.

Best of luck to you guys, looking forward to your games :)

bicilotti

ShiverMeSideways

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

After numerous design changes, scribbles and my computer failing, I'm finally working on something with full steam ahead. It's going to suck, but hey, I hope to at least have SOMETHING FINISHED. (your definitions of "something" and "finished" may vary)

A bit late, but GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!

:D

Chicky

Quote from: bicilotti on Sat 06/08/2011 18:39:44
my.
head.
is.
melting.

This is hardcore, i've shocked myself at the progress but i fear the 'game' side of my orowc entry may not be up to scratch, as per usual with Chicky branded games. Basic puzzles ftw?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteWHERE WERE YOU WHEN I NEEDED YOU?!?!?

One private message away  ;D

Wyz

OoooOOooOOoooooh I'm not going to make the deadline with something worth releasing BLAH BLAH BLAH
no, I'll release it anyway, since,.. since,.. I WANT TO BE IN THE OROW!

Vince Twelve

Quote from: ProgZmax on Sat 06/08/2011 05:24:31

If someone still needs some help with art assets or music or programming, you can PM me and I'll see what I can do if I haven't already signed on to help someone by then.

Want to help with mine?  I estimate we can get it done in five years.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Some call it Resonance, and I'm already helping.  ;)

(deleted)

Got a late start (this afternoon), but I'll have an entry by the deadline.

pmartin

Dualnames

17 hours or so left. Remember submissions ARE anonymous, so send your game by pm, instead of posting it here.

Quote from: hofmeier on Sun 07/08/2011 06:15:30
Got a late start (this afternoon), but I'll have an entry by the deadline.

The determination of a man, ladies and gentlemen!!

AJA

I'm back. Might make some bug fixes for my entry. We'll see. Tired.

Wyz

The forums are up, now I can finally sleep in peace. That was a beating, good it's only once a year ;)

cat

So, how many games were submitted?

Radiant

Ah, glad to see the forums are back. Okay, I've made my submission too. That was one busy week.

bicilotti

I can feel the warning signs running around my mind.

\m/ *_* \m/ for OROW.

Radiant

Quote from: cat on Mon 08/08/2011 09:08:28
So, how many games were submitted?

As near as I can tell from this thread,

Wyz, AJA, pmartin, hofmeier, Chicky, ShiverMeSideways, Ponch, ddq, tzachs, and myself. That makes it a nice and round 10 games.

Dualnames

OROW ENDS IN 3 HOURS. Any entries won't be accepted afterwards.

bicilotti

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 08/08/2011 11:25:34

The timer says it's 2 hours since it was over?

ninjaedit: I want to play some motherf***ing games

QuoteI will accept late entries, as long it's not over 8 hours from the time counter that will appear here, so you can all see how much you got left at any time.

Ok you got me.

Radiant

Quote from: Dualnames on Mon 08/08/2011 11:25:34

Okay. Could you please confirm which entries you've received so far, just to make sure nobody's made a mistake when submitting their hard work?

tzachs

@Radiant: I submitted my game directly by email since the forums were down and I needed to sleep, so that makes it 10...

Dualnames

Wyz,cat,aja, ponch,tzachs,pmartin,radiant,bici, fsi. And mine.

EDIT: ddq is added.
EDIT2: Shiver me sideways is added

CHICKY WHERE ARE YOU. LOLOLOLOLO?

ddq

I'M COMING I'M COMING WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEE
edit: k got it

Chicky

I slept for way too long, just woke up.

I'll release what i've got later in the month. There's no point me releasing some buggy POS again. I was working in 1024x768, everything hand painted. Stupid Chicky.

ddq

Just throw in an evil twin and submit it for MAGS!

Vince Twelve

Looking forward to playing these guys!  OROW always produces some of the most interesting games.

Dualnames

ENTRANTS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:
AJA
BICILOTTI
CAT
DDQ
DUALNAMES
FSI
PMARTIN
PONCH
RADIANT
SHIVERMESIDEWAYS
TZACHS
WYZ

ENTRIES IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:
AETERNA DUEL
APPLE FARM
BARRIER
DE_HAUNT
ENTRAPPED
OFFICE SHENANIGANS
ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
ODR3
PROCRASTINATOR
RAPSQLUD V0.3
REQUIEM
THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

THIS OROW AND MY ENTRY THAT SHALL BE REVEALED LATER, IS DEDICATED TO CHICKY. He may not have any good games, but he's awesome beyond comparison. He's so awesome, that we call women and a certain animal by his name, to honor him.

pmartin

Well, I thought I could wait and play, but I need to get some sleep.
Best of luck for all of you guys.

Ghost

Quote from: Chicky on Mon 08/08/2011 14:14:15
Stupid Chicky.

Ambitious Chicky, you mean.

Yay, downloading, at least I can leave with a bag full of games!

straydogstrut

Suffice to say I didn't make the deadline (surprise surprise!), but this wasn't another of my now infamous ideas that never left my head. I did start something, despite not being able to start until friday, and I actually got a lot further than I expected. But it's unfinished and I can only keep up my day job whilst sleep-deprived for so long..

The real victory for me though has been finally making my first proper attempt at using AGS. I knew it already, but I have say, wow what an awesome piece of software :D *gushes* There was virtually no learning curve with the scripting and every time I had a question I found the answer in the manual, in densming's videos, or on the boards. It's been a joy to work with and I will definitely fire it up again this week. I'm not 100% happy with the game i've started - it's chock full of plot holes - so i'll either rework it or see if I can't come up with something else, either for MAGS, or just to satisfy my creative urges.

Kudos to everyone who got an entry in - and I'm looking forward to Chicky's game when it's finished!! - what a bumper bundle of gamey goodness!=D

cat

Radiant

Wow, I'm surprised by the sheer variety between all the contest entries. Well done, everyone!

Wonkyth

qptain Nemo

Well, wow. What a variety. The competition is fierce, it's really hard to choose even for yourself what is more best than the other (i haven't made my vote at the time of writing yet) and no doubt our feelings about all the different wonderful things in these game may get a little lost in all that voting process where only winners matter.

So I'd like to express my personal impressions of some of submitted entries so their creators may get their bonus moment of glee even if the golden trophy doesn't end up in their hands.

I mean I didn't spot anything saying that the voting is supposed to be all that anonymous as well. But if I did miss that then
Spoiler
Oops.
[close]

Anyway, here are my votes:

Best brilliant hilarity
Barrier
This game is simply ingenius. Just bloody brilliant. Amazing.  := := := := := out of  := := := := := Beautiful. Etc etc. I can't wait for the voting to end just to discover who the author is and officially worship him/her/it. Dear author, you have my deepest respect.

Best dopey WTFness
Dehaunt
This game seems to be taking a piss at everything from the common sense to the competition's one room-oriented theme. I love that. I really do.

Best game that doesn't work
Entrapped
Well, at the time of writing this is the only one game from the entire collection that doesn't work. So obviously it wins in that category be default. If later some other games will stop working too, I will of course reconsider my vote on this.

EDIT: Oh. Laugh as much as you will, but suddenly it started working. Disqualified from this category then! Let's reaward it properly.

Best 65536 hotspots adventure game
Entrapped
That's what we're after, after all, isn't it? Interactivity. One sweet overly interactive room flooded with loads of hotspots. What more can an adventure gamer wish for?

Best keeping the old formula fresh
Office Shenanigans
Obviously, the fact that from the whole competition only two three games are typical inventory puzzle-based adventure games supports the opinion that everyone wants only adventure games made only with ags.
Anyway, office shenanigans takes the classic adventure game gameplay and presents it in a new, lovely, clever-written narrative. Why, I love when that happens.

Best THIS GAME IS AAAASS!! game
One Room One Cheese
Well, it's a lovely game with a lovely design and lot of playful references, but. The controls and the utterly challenging level design gave me a strong temptation to record my own playthrough of it in Angry Video Game Nerd style in order to make my own playful reference and also express my frustration.
Because I didn't even finish it. Because I kept dying and dying and-
ASS!
FUCK!!
WHAT WERE THEY THIIINKING?!?!?!

Best sexy fun
Outrage Dreamer Roads 3
Well, this game is sexy and fun. Beautifully vulgar. Ironically overly ironical. I charmed the hell out of me even before the gameplay has begun. Pure win, if you will.

Best intense artsy platformer
Requiem
It's good that Braid wasn't competing in this OROW otherwise it'd make a tough competitor for this game... no, wait a second. I think Braid is boring bollocks actually. So Requiem would take this award anyway. Yes.
So, it's a little bit cheesy stylish-y game, but it's more than enjoyable and playable and even finishable. It has my full sympathy and support.

Best stylish moody immersive drama
The Devil Got My Woman
It was incredibly plesant to stumble upon something like that in the collection. Something dialogue-based, story-centered, feelings-centered, characters-centered, situation-based, you get the idea. The way story went was barely suprising (except maybe the very ending that I can't claim I got 100% right) but at least it was very sincere and didn't fail in any major way and it was very captivating to explore the story's microworld while it lasted. So, er, yay!

In conclusion, as you can see by the size of this post I really miss trying to convince Snarky that King's Quest is boring shit. So yeah, play these OROW games if you haven't! They're fun!

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Tue 09/08/2011 13:29:50
So I'd like to express my personal impressions of some of submitted entries so their creators may get their bonus moment of glee even if the golden trophy doesn't end up in their hands.
Good idea, I voted and felt that there were too few categories to give every good game here its deserved vote, they're pretty much all somewhere on a scale from "really nice" to "awesome", so no participant should feel like he's losing when he's not winning.

Best game that doesn't work
Entrapped
Well, at the time of writing this is the only one game from the entire collection that doesn't work. So obviously it wins in that category be default. If later some other games will stop working too, I will of course reconsider my vote on this.
Worked for me! It took some time and the solution is
Spoiler
quite a pixel hunt, but amazingly, I didn't find it annoying like I do normally with pixel hunts, and found the needed things - except one - relatively fast because of the choosen graphics style.
[close]
I liked the vast amount of interactable clutter and inventory items, so I'd rather like to vote for it in the category
Best use of red herrings :)

Best intense artsy platformer
Requiem
[...] and even finishable.
This is finishable? Aw, I'm the worst platform gamer ever :( I kept dying pretty soon and often, even in the OROCheese game I got further. But I really liked the atmosphere, graphics/music/sound effects really fit together.

Best stylish moody immersive drama
The Devil Got My Woman
It was incredibly plesant to stumble upon something like that in the collection. Something dialogue-based, story-centered, feelings-centered, characters-centered, situation-based, you get the idea. The way story went was barely suprising (except maybe the very ending that I can't claim I got 100% right) but at least it was very sincere and didn't fail in any major way and it was very captivating to explore the story's microworld while it lasted. So, er, yay!
Yes, definitely the most serious story-loaden entry in the collection, a bit irritating when you play the games all in a row and happen to come from e.g. ODR3 to this ;D
At first, I found the story a bit creepy, but not so much anymore as it evolved.
There were some bugs like a moving sitting player when it was supposed to walk and a character in the room when they stated in the dialog "Is he still here?" - "No, he's gone now!" - "Let me tell you something about him..." which killed the sincere mood a bit, but won't be hard to fix before it's officially (under the author's name) released.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention: All the platformer/non-adventure games did a pretty good job in introducing controls and concepts at each stage/level, I liked that a lot though I'm generally not a big fan of platformers and such because I suck at it.

Really enjoyed playing through the collection, nice variation of different genres, concepts, stories and designs :)

Wonkyth

Wow, Barrier was indeed amazing.
Also, it looks like the winners in each category are already apparent.  :P

pmartin

I can't express how much I support this attitude. :D

Ponch

I'm still stuck on a few of them. The platformers in particular.  :P

But for what it's worth, my sweetie Kim really liked Apple Farm. She thought that with a little polishing, it might make a nice app as a game for kids. Make the later levels timed or some other sort of challenges. I think a big part of it is that she thinks hedge hogs are really cute.  :)

ddq

Played most of them. I couldn't finish quite a few, either due to bugs or the rapid draining of my patience. Still, they were better than my entry on average, which I am also trying to bugfix/polish/resuscitate.

Wonkyth

I confess, the platformers posed no trouble to me, rather the adventures without standard puzzles.

Chicky

Great entries everyone! Each had it's own unique strengths, the cheese one drove me mad, i went all angry gamer on that last part, also really liked the Cannabalt style platformer, a lot less frustrating! The devil got my woman seemed to come to a complete halt when i glassed the bf, couldn't find anything else to do so i debugged to your test room. All entries had great dialogue and a lovely variety of styles.

Thanks to Dualnames for the dedication, although i'm really not that special!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Gee Ponch, I wonder which game is yours...

Wyz

Yes, I don't want to spoil it but I'd never have expected that he'd make a platform game.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Thu 11/08/2011 03:05:33
Gee Ponch, I wonder which game is yours...

What?! None of those games are a Barn Runner game. So there's simply no way to tell which one has the special "Ponch Seal of Quality."  :=

Quote from: Wyz+ on Thu 11/08/2011 03:17:57
Yes, I don't want to spoil it but I'd never have expected that he'd make a platform game.

That's right! Any of those games could be mine! Maybe I made the apple game. Because I love big, round, juicy... apples.  :D

cat

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 11/08/2011 03:35:11
That's right! Any of those games could be mine! Maybe I made the apple game. Because I love big, round, juicy... apples.  :D

And there are even two games with apples! And a lot of them were falling on my head in the cheese game (did I mention that I'm very bad at platformers?)

arj0n

I still have to start playing all the OROW entries.

A platformer? Yeeha! I LOVE platformers!

Wonkyth

Quote from: cat on Thu 11/08/2011 08:30:31
Quote from: Ponch on Thu 11/08/2011 03:35:11

And there are even two games with apples! And a lot of them were falling on my head in the cheese game (did I mention that I'm very bad at platformers?)
They're even the same sprite as the ones from IWBTG.  :P

cat

Wonkyth

ddq

They're really more like giant cherries...

tzachs

Hmmm, it seems that I won't be available to give all games a fair chance, since I'll be super busy today, and tomorrow I'll be flying to London (riot-land, here I come!), so I might away give my short impression from the games:
A really nice variety of games, and was a real fun to play them.
It was also quite fun to try and guess who created what game. I think I got most of them right, though I still have no idea who made ODR3...  :D

I must say that I really enjoyed "Barrier", gave me some Monthy Python vibes...

Also some issues I had:

In PROCRASTINATOR-
Spoiler
Got to the balcony, used the padding, and the screen turned black and there was nothing I could do... I played in full screen, so it might be related to that.
[close]

In ENTRAPPED-
It didn't run for me in full screen, but it did in windowed.
Also, I got stuck, wanted to save and return later, but didn't find a save button.
Nice looking packed background though!

In DE_HAUNT-
I just now spotted in the Hints thread that you have to use Space Bar, I just wondered around aimlessly...

In THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN-
It looks really really interesting, and I would really want to see what happens, though I had the same already mentioned bug-
Spoiler
I hit the guy with the mirror, he left, my guy walked weird, and then it just returned to the past, the guy was there again and the mirror was back in the drawer, so I couldn't continue...
[close]

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Thu 11/08/2011 13:44:43
It was also quite fun to try and guess who created what game. I think I got most of them right, though I still have no idea who made ODR3...  :D

No one does! It's an amazing mystery! It's like some sort of Agatha Christie story unfolding right here on the AGS forums.  Personally, I think the butler did it. :D

bicilotti

I have played them all (and finished them all too, with the exception of entrapped). Interesting round, with a nice range of genres! Everybody, pat yourselves on the back!

To avoid spoilers, I will comment after the voting deadline.

Wyz

I wanted to wait after the vote, but meh here are my comments anyway. If you don't want to know, don't read them. :P

@ Aeterna Duel
I like the concept of this game but clearly the author was short of time and there was no polishing: No introduction  and the opponents' strengths grow faster then the player can upgrade. After a few tries I decided I could not beat it. :( Other then that it has a very large list of possible attacks so there has clearly been put in a lot of effort. Keep working on it.

@ AppleFarm
I like this kind of games, the kind where you have to find hidden objects. This is a great sample and has very nice graphics. The only downside is that it is so very short, well at least for me. This game is also great for children I think. Although the music might need some work too. ;)

@ Barrier
Lovely game and a great concept too. I love the graphics and the engrish that was really clever. Didn't like the puzzles really though, although the verb coin and the verbs themselves are very novel, I liked that too. This game doesn't need any polish, it feels really finished as it is; concept, designing, drawing, coding, that's quite impressive all in just 7 days.

@ de_haunt
When I started up the game I first was presently surprised and prepared for a Zelda like adventure. The music was great, the graphics neat, but then... nothing. Well, figuring out when to press space and that was it. That's really a pity, this could have been so much more. :(
I guess it is a bit much in the given time ok. :P

@ Entrapped
Hung up a few times when I started it, but when I didn't click during the intro it worked.
The graphics are ok, I particularly liked the small icons in the inventory, those are cute. As for the gameplay, it's a bit much. Too many hotspots to really know what to do. It's also annoying without a save option you'd have to start over again. I liked the music though.

@ ODR3
I'm not going to deny this was actually my favourite game of the lot. This is a classic erm... adventure game with the standard gags and a lot of interactions. I just like reading all those interactions. The music was right for the game (even though it was recycled) and the graphics were up to par. The puzzles were a bit far fetched at times though and there were clearly not enough OSD references.

@ Office Shenanigans
This game had the longest running time for me, there are a lot of puzzles and they follow each other cleverly so that I wasn't stuck for very long. The interaction like using inventory on itself or on the player character was a bit quirky though. The graphics are not very advanced but they work, the character portraits (if not stock) are great. One thing that annoyed me were the pauses when the people wander around, but that can be fixed. The music was very catchy (no I'm not just saying that).

@ OneRoomOneCheese
A Mario clone platformer with AGS familiarities and messages that made me think of Who moved my cheese. This game really sets the bar high and that is ok if the physics were a bit more forgiving. The friction is almost non-existent and it gave me the sensation someone mopped the floors recently. Ok that sounded a bit harsh, it's probably my frustration speaking... shut it!
The sprites an tiles are good, the music does what it has to do and I like how there pop up messages across the level.

@ Procrastinator
I simply LOVED the graphics! Erm... no, I remember now it is a text-adventure, those images are in my imagination. That is a compliment because that means the writing is good. I like games that taunt you and make fun of itself and it's author; well this games made love to the 4th wall that's for sure. Clicking buttons instead of typing? Lazy Wyz says: Yes please!
Well some obvious flaws: the thing is bug ridden at some point it will even hang completely. There is no music, but if there was I'm sure it would be awesome. ;)

@ RapSqLud v0.3
The name is just as surprising as is this game. A puzzle game of the laser type with the added effects of time. I did get very far because I couldn't keep up; a pity because it was really fun. Maybe it could be made a bit more forgiving, like points added for correct pulses and deducted for wrong ones? Other then that I think it's a great game, the music works really well with it.

@ Requiem
When I saw this I thought by myself: oh noes! not another platform game!
But ok this one was different, I could not even beat the first screen. :D
But well the art is really interesting (I want someone to record a play through on the double!) as is the concept. The music also works really well for this game. It would like however for the player not to fall through the platforms, I know making a platform game in AGS is not trivial but some of the platforms are not properly indented. (please don't hate me :D)

@ The Devil Got My Woman
This is an interesting game, it tried to grab my attention in the beginning and it almost pulled it off. The story off the game is not something I'm a fan of but regardless that it was quite good. The art is decent and the music pick pretty interesting. Where this game loses points: the bugs. There are a lot regarding the game-play but also animation flaws. But if this is your first AGS game you did a good job.

Anyhow a tip for your next game: try to think of a game as a machine: your game can be in one state at a time (name it) and for each state there is only selected list of other states it will progress to (a transition). Bugs like when you put back the diary too soon can be detected very easy in the conceptual phase that way.

Concluding
Everyone has done an outstanding job and a whopping 12 games: this OROW is a success! A big round of applause for everyone!
That will be all...  :=

Wonkyth

Quote from: Wyz+ on Sat 13/08/2011 14:05:02
@ Aeterna Duel
I like the concept of this game but clearly the author was short of time and there was no polishing: No introduction  and the opponents' strengths grow faster then the player can upgrade. After a few tries I decided I could not beat it.
I found this quite the opposite. I simply maxed out magic and then the rest. I only stopped when I got a fatal error while attempting to use keyboard controls.

Dualnames

Okay, we need a bit more votes people, so VOTE! One day to go and we have an almost 3 game tie.

Frodo

Already made my votes.   ;)

Can I vote again?   :P

Ghost

I did vote, and it was HELL. Can you peeps please stop producing quality?  ;)

AJA

(I'm starting to repeat myself.) Maybe next time we could get the old voting system back? (Give each game a score of 1-5 or 1-10 or whatever in each category.) It sucks every time when I'd really want to vote some game but there's this other one that deserves it just a bit more and I can only choose one. :( Hell, I'll even make a voting system for the next time if that's the problem. :P

Also, being able to see the results before voting has ended is silly.

Anyway, as usual I'll share some comments on the games once the (final) results are in! :)

PLAY AND VOTE, EVERYONE!

ddq

Yeah, AJA is right. What the hell is wrong with you, Dualnames? Stop being so retarded.

Wyz

I vote for more categories, and grouping sound/music and concept/writing should be split up but hey that's something for next year.

Ponch

Quote from: Wyz+ on Mon 15/08/2011 18:46:06
I vote for more categories, and grouping sound/music and concept/writing should be split up but hey that's something for next year.

And sexiness! There should be a sexiness category. You know, for whoever made that amazingly sexy ODR 3 game that seems to be stubbornly stuck in the middle of the voting pack. I'm sure that handsome, mysterious stranger of a game author would love having a category he could easily win. ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: ddq on Mon 15/08/2011 18:25:20
Yeah, AJA is right. What the hell is wrong with you, Dualnames? Stop being so retarded.

DDQ SUCK MY BALLS.

AJA

My nick and ball sucking in the same post... YEAAAHH!!! We definitely need more ball sucking next time.

Bulbapuck

I vote for this vote with a 4/5 vote.

Also, I'm gonna try to play and vote today.

EDIT: didn't make it :p

Dualnames

Quote from: AJA on Tue 16/08/2011 12:31:43
My nick and ball sucking in the same post... YEAAAHH!!! We definitely need more ball sucking next time.

Indeed, kind sir. If only this was spotted easier though. The multiple choices thingy, I'd have no trouble changing to it.

qptain Nemo

I second this
Quote from: AJA on Mon 15/08/2011 16:37:21
(I'm starting to repeat myself.) Maybe next time we could get the old voting system back? (Give each game a score of 1-5 or 1-10 or whatever in each category.) It sucks every time when I'd really want to vote some game but there's this other one that deserves it just a bit more and I can only choose one. :(
and this
oh and this
Quote from: Ponch on Mon 15/08/2011 19:32:34
And sexiness! There should be a sexiness category.

Dualnames

ENTRIES REVEALED:
AJA - Barrier
BICILOTTI - RapSqLud
CAT - Apple Farm
DDQ - Aeterna Duel
DUALNAMES - Requiem
FSI - De_Haunt
PMARTIN - The Devil Got My Woman
PONCH - ODR3
RADIANT - One Room One Cheese
SHIVERMESIDEWAYS - Procrastinator
TZACHS - Office Shenanigans
WYZ - Entrapped
NEMO - Why Am I Such A Little Bitch?

Results:

Best Game
5% (2)    AETERNA DUEL
7% (3)    APPLE FARM
34% (13)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
18% (7)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
7% (3)    ODR3
7% (3)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD V0.3
0% (0)    REQUIEM

BEST GRAPHICS

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
10% (4)    APPLE FARM
44% (17)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
0% (0)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
2% (1)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
18% (7)    ODR3
2% (1)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST CONCEPT/WRITING

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
13% (5)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED
10% (4)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
15% (6)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
10% (4)    ODR3
13% (5)    PROCRASTINATOR
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
23% (9)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN

13% (5)    AETERNA DUEL
15% (6)    BARRIER
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
15% (6)    REQUIEM
10% (4)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
0% (0)    PROCRASTINATOR
5% (2)    ODR3
21% ( 8 )    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
5% (2)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED

BEST PROGRAMMING/CODING

18% (7)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
2% (1)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
5% (2)    ENTRAPPED
2% (1)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
26% (10)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
2% (1)    ODR3
5% (2)    PROCRASTINATOR
18% (7)    RAPSQLUD
10% (4)    REQUIEM

And the winner, by what can be called an OMFG UNEXPECTED reaction, AJA!
For an eternity in a row!!!

pmartin

Now I can finally say:

HOW THE $%@#% I DID NOT SEE THAT DAMNMED DIARY BUG???

Ponch

Congrats to Aja and everyone else who did better than my game. Thanks, democracy. Once again you have let me down!  :D

Wonkyth

If it makes you feel any better, Ponch, I'd have stuck your game in second place for all but thus music and programming categories. Loved it.  :D

And again, hardly surprising results. Aja is an OROW sorcerer!
And Radiant again shows his awesome coding abilities. Although I must admit, it seems as though the physics were more like Sonic than Mario.  :P

kconan

Lots of entrants this time around...Congrats to Aja and great job to all for even submitting something!  I've been working on what is basically a one-room game since 2009  :-[

cat

Congratulations to the winners! And every game got at least one vote in a category, so congratulations to all participants!

Akatosh

Aw man, I can't believe I missed this. I really ought to visit more often than twice a year...

Oh well. Once again, congratulations, AJA! (And assorted peasants, of course.)

bicilotti

So, finally this is closed and it has been revealed "who-did-what". Comment time!

AeternaDual: this was a bit difficult to get into but I've enjoyed it a lot. There's much to be discovered in this JRPG-story-characterWithBoobs. My only two complaints are that it is easy to plan a simple strategy to repeatedly win (i.e. boost strength, *always*) and that there are some OOB bugs which crash the game (but that's excusable, being an OROW).

Apple Farm: simple and sweet, AGS needs more of these games aimed towards children and families. In its simplicity there are many things that show polish (sound effects, animations, vector graphics). I was searching for the last apple when I discovered that debug mode was on: that was cluncky but helped me finding the last one! :P

Barrier: this game won and rightly so! It's a little gem, if you haven't played it, do it already!

De Haunt: another one with debug mode on! :P Beautiful in its simplicity. I liked the fact that there was no interaction apart from the main one, it kind of highlights the goal and teachings of the game.

Entrapped: most difficult (for me :P)! I found it immediately visually interesting (iirc no game has exploited the "blueprint" style until this one), but was quickly lost in the puzzle. Once I got through the initial bewilderment everything was nicer and enjoyable. I would like to see a deluxe version with a tutorial/hints?.

Office Shenanigans: good depiction of an office microcosmo, albeit a bit frustrating (I've often found myself not knowing what to do or having to wait for a character animation to stop to be able to use my cursor back again!). Bonus point for the arcade game!

OneRoomOneCheese: technically amazing, fun, and with cheese! What can we ask more? I found the  "splippery floor" an interesting twist in our stale 2D platform universe. I would like to see the source of this one!

ODR3: sexism, boobs, pink flesh, lines like "Ensorceled? Give it a rest! I destroyed your top hat and revealed your true form! And I should have destroyed your thesaurus too!": we all love you Ponch (apart from that motherf**cking use battery on pirate's innards puzzle)! I demand a "making of" vydio.

Procastinator: that's a perfect example of how you can put together an adventure game with little or no graphic! Witty writing, interesting characters, lots of objects and achievements, yay! I've almost unlocked them all (and resisted the temptation to edit the "achieve.ags" file (if you haven't already, look into it and smile). Debug mode on too! F00!

Requiem: ad with "De haunt", short, simple, fun and sexy. I like fast action and this provides plenty. Choice of music was remarkable too. Two minor remarks: it seems sometimes our running characters falls through platforms (edges), should be an easy fix; two, the ending was a bit meh imho, too strong of an hint for such a short game!

The Devil Got my Woman: when I've played it the first time I wasn't in the right mood for it, so I left it right there until today. Not my cup of tea but well made. Many AGSers loved the writing, which I find ok but not exceptional, but I *do* praise the art style, unique and well chosen for this story.

cat

I don't have any comments yet, but here are some bugs I found during playing:

AeternaDuel:
Spoiler
globalscript 1232/1390: error running function on_key_press Array index out of bounds
[close]

Entrapped:
Spoiler
Inventory is not wide enough, some items are not shown
[close]

One room one cheese:
Spoiler
first time started could not move the mouse
[close]

The devil got my woman:
Spoiler
Wrong view (sliding sittin guy)
can put book back in drawer without hitting larry
[close]

AJA

Thanks for voting! Winning was fun the first couple of times but now it's just getting exponentially more awesome. Well, the opposite actually. :P

And now, onto the important part, comments! Time to refresh my memory and replay some of them!

Aeterna Duel
This was actually a very hard game when I first played it since I just went after new skills instead of increasing my stats. Now that I replayed it, it was too easy. Fusion and the other combo skills were an instant win. :P It's a very nice prototype in any case, just needs a bit of balancing. Good work!

Apple Farm
This one was a nice change of pace after failing so many times at dueling. Lovely graphics and relaxing music. Also, wasn't quite as easy as I expected. Finding the apple in the tree took some time. Nice one!

Barrier
Made in four days and it won? WTF? Actually, I'd like to thank my ancient Aiptek drawing tablet for not being the usual bitch it often is. Haven't had so much fun drawing stuff in any previous OROW.

Dehaunt
I was expecting something epic when I started the game: OMG, tile graphics! But sadly there was nothing much to do expect to go all hobbity and back again. And the game's "intro cutscene" was reading the readme file. :P But the tile system worked quite well, no crashes and didn't get stuck or anything, so good job with that! What I'd improve though, is that when you move diagonally, you shouldn't get stuck to walls.

Entrapped
Oh hell. This game contains most of the things I love about adventure games: pixel hunting, too many hotspots and too many inventory items. Well done! :P Oh, and I actually gave up on this a couple of times since the "ORDER FULL GAME" messages led me to think maybe it would all be just one wild goose chase. But I did finish it in the end, thanks to the hint thread! I was stuck because I couldn't find the fire cracker. I also had some trouble with all the items not fitting in the inventory gui. But as frustrating as it was, overall I enjoyed it. Finally finishing it felt like such an accomplishment. :)

Office Shenanigans
Probably my favorite of the bunch. I really liked the feel of the thing. Everybody moving around on their own business. (Although waiting for them to return to their places, especially when many of them would do so consecutively, was somewhat rage inducing.) The character portraits were perfect and reflected nicely the personalities of the characters. If only the top down views and the background would have received the same treatment. The intro was brilliant too, although the game inside the game looked a bit dubious when viewed from a certain mental perspective.  ::) Great job!

One Room One Cheese
Death. Dying. Falling. Suffering. Pain. Agony. No, you will not beat me, game! More death. Dying. Falling... Such a hard game and I usually would have given up but since it was a "one room" game I knew it would end eventually and that I would be victorious. And man did it feel good to beat the final labyrinth of spiky death and disappearing blocks. The audio visual presentation was exactly as it should be. Level design was very good. What made it hard was the low friction. I didn't witness any bugs or glitches. A wonderfully fun game (in a tear-your-hair-out kind of way).

ODR3
I still don't know who made this game. Loved the cartoony graphics and the weird as hell premise and puzzles. Just the right amount of vomit, gore and round shapes, too. My only problem with the game was that there was just too much continuous dialogue. Don't get me wrong, the dialogue had lots of awesomely fun stuff in it but after a while it all just started to get lost in a vast sea of vastness. Very good work, nonetheless!

Procrastinator
This one took me right back to the days when I used to make text adventure games with a couple of friends, except without the constant sudden deaths for the most ridiculous of reasons. I enjoyed the game a lot until I hit the point where everything just went black and I couldn't continue (the same point others have already mentioned). I hope you'll fix that, I'd love to find out how it ends! :)

RapSqLud
20 levels and I managed to finish probably 5 of them. The concept and execution were great but it was just too unforgiving for me. Fail a level and you have to start from the beginning, argh. After the first couple of levels I just couldn't keep up with the pace and trying to find the switch blocks with my mouse. It might have been easier with the tablet. Anyway, the game worked great, it was just too hard for me. Nicely scripted!

Requiem
Another platformer, this one I almost didn't finish. I became frustrated with dying all the time and not making any progress since you had to start from the beginning of the level. It didn't help that I had no idea how long I'd have to keep running before reaching the end. After reading on the forums that somebody said this was easier than cheese, I decided to try again and finished it without much trouble. I guess the problem for me was just being thrown into the game and having no sense of where I was going and how much progress I was making. I liked the simplistic graphical style and technically it worked great. Although, the loud beep at the start almost made my ears bleed. :P

The Devil Got My Woman
This one benefited from being alphabetically last. After all the other more or less silly games, this game felt sincere and had a lot of heart. It really deserved to win best writing! It could've done with some unobtrusive background music. Also, the WMV didn't play for me. The screen just froze and only the audio played. However, the writing makes up for all of the technical issues. Lovely work!

Okay, I guess that's all of them. Only took three hours to write this post. :P

Thanks to all the entrants for their great games!
Thanks to Dualnames for hosting the competition!
And finally thanks to bad dubbing for the inspiration to make Barrier!

ddq

Once I get back to my computer and off my phone, I'll say things about the other games, but right now I feel like saying a few things about mine.

First off, the version you all played *sucks*. I was literally changing things on my way out the door the morning it was due. It's buggy, unbalanced, ugly, and a barely functional prototype. This is due in part to only doing it in four days and partly due to my own incompetence. If anything, I'd say the biggest problem was the balance issues; if you didn't focus on Str or Mag you'd get creamed, if you did, you'd obliterate everything.

So what about fixing it? I've already cleaned up a lot, including getting rid of that pesky keyboard bug (my while loop went too far in an array), changing the XP and enemy growth rate, rebalancing the stats and store prices, changing the damage calculation, and adding in-between fight dialogs. As far as a re-release, it pretty much needs a complete renovation into an actual game with non-placeholder art and the missing content I didn't have time to implement. I'm actually thinking about sorta gutting the engine, maybe taking out an elelment or two, adding non-duel support (i.e. more than just one ally and enemy), and using the battle system in a platformer overworld, maybe making it active time instead of turn-based.

So yeah, I sorta went in over my head and tried to do too much. In hindsight, the thing I wish I included the most would be story or dialog, or any introduction at all rather than just throwing the player into the stupid game. Anyway, WE OUT, BITCHES.

Radiant

I'm going to echo the above posters and post my comments now.

Aeterna Duel
Er, yeah. I had it crash within the first 10 seconds, and basically discarded it at that point. This thread has convinced me to give it another go, though.

Apple Farm
Simple but effective; however, the music did make me turn off my speakers.

Barrier
I'm not going to repeat the above posters and say how well done this is (oh wait, I just did), but I'll just add that I found the innovative verbs very nice.

Dehaunt
I'm wondering if this is an actual tile engine, or just a room with walkable areas drawn on? If so, kudos for writing a tile engine. I didn't realize space bar was supposed to do anything, though, so I didn't see much of the gameplay.

Entrapped
Original drawing style and well-done puzzle design. Feels classic.

Office Shenanigans
Another classic. I liked the portraits, too. This is probably the truest adventure game of the bunch.

One Room One Cheese
Yeah, that was me :)  I'm surprised how many people found it very difficult; then again, it depends on what genres you're used to. I think I'll improve the air acceleration, that should help. Expect an expanded version somewhere in the near future.

ODR3
Funny but not my kind of funny.

Procrastinator
I'll write about this game tomorrow.

RapSqLud
Interesting concept but too easy to my taste. Again, I'm wondering if this is a true tile engine; if so, kudos.

Requiem
AGS needs more platformers, so it's good to see this one.

The Devil Got My Woman
Interesting premise and good dialogue.

And thanks to all who participated!

Dualnames

Aeterna Duel

Apart from the fact that the author didn't take this too seriously, this is definitely a nice rpg engine. I found the setting as retarded as ddq, but everything else was good. Top notch.

Apple Farm
This was a bit too childish for my tastes, I won't lie. But regardless a fun 2 minutes I spent on it. Very polished.

Barrier
That's the first game I played, wondering what AJA created this time. Initially, I was like "oh thank god, a typical point and click game." Then I broke that tree down. Definitely a great game, and at least worth being in the best games ever produced during an OROW.

Office Shenanigans
This is one of my favorite, and i never got around to finish it. The music is definitely my favorite out of all entries, and I can't decide if the game is sad or happy. Reminds me of Office Space, which is good, I guess :P

One Room One Cheese
I thought I made something difficult with my own platformer, and here goes Radiant, making something even more. A bit on the hard side, but satisfying and all.

ODR3
A game by Ponch, do I really need to drool over it? Yes. But I'll save it for now :P

RapSqLud
Bicilotti for the love of god, here's a game YOU NEED TO MAKE MORE OF !! Incredible what can be accomplished within a few days.

Thanks to all the entrants for their great games!
And of course AJA, for always reminding us, that win is not important.  ;D

tzachs

Aeterna Duel
While I did not play it for too long, since it was a little bit too complicated for me, I was very impressed with the amount of details, it was probably very hard to code...

Apple Farm
I really loved the graphics, it was very cute, definitely a must play for children, and a refreshing change from all those manly games.

Barrier
My favorite without a doubt, a well deserved win, it was funny as hell...

One Room One Cheese
Very very nice, I was impressed both with coding and with the level design. I actually did not find it too hard, the learning curve was very good for my taste.

Requiem
Also very nice, I really liked both the pacing and the graphical style in this one. I actually found it harder than One Cheese, mostly due to having to restart the level on every fall, but I did manage to finish it at the end.

ODR3
Ah, what can I say? Another Ponch classics... Got everything I expected, sexiness, humour and gore wrapped in a really tight package... I liked that you manage to give depth and back stories in this, though I do admit that it might had a little too many dialogs.

RapSqLud
A really great game from the italian god.
I really liked the concept, I played like 8 levels until it got too difficult for me, but I feel that with some work it could turn into a classic.

Dehaunt
It looked really nice at first but really I did not find anything to interact with... Then I saw in the hints thread that said you can use the spacebar, but I have not managed to get back to it since.

Procrastinator
A text adventure with buttons, how was it not done before? I liked the writing, some funny stuff... I thought it was a bit lazy design to allow the player to carry on without some needed items, but I can appreciate that there was not a lot of time, and it did have a certain charm to it. I eventually stopped due to that bugI mentioned earlier.

Entrapped
I loved the background, so many stuff crammed in there, and the blueprint style was very nicely done. However, it was a bit overwhelming with all the inventory items that are not really needed, and when I wanted to save and didnot find a button, I had to give up on it.

The Devil Got My Woman
I thought it had lots of potential, the setting and the writing caught me by surprise, it was very refreshing. The graphic style was also very interesting. I eventually stopped because of that damn bug, but if you create a fixed version (you also need to do some proof reading), I will definitely want to play it.

Office Shenanigans
Well, many thanks for all the people who played and commented, I really appreciate the feedback.
I knew all along that people will not like having to wait for the characters going to places, it is a major flaw, but I did not have enough time to fix it. I do intend to release an improved version, and in that oppurtinity, if there is an artist here that is interested in making graphics for this game, please pm me (that includes the portraits, I cannot take credits for them, sorry guys). I will also post in asking for help thread.
Also, dualnames, I have not played office space, I will be sure to give it a try now...

Dualnames

Office Space is a movie, young friend :P

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 21/08/2011 17:38:46
RapSqLud
Interesting concept but too easy to my taste. Again, I'm wondering if this is a true tile engine; if so, kudos.

Wow, the first person who played it and found it simple (I bet you're one of the few souls who finished Colourwise :) ). Have you reached the level editor?

And yes, it's a badly coded tile engine, albeit badly coded.

Kudos everyone!

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 22/08/2011 00:41:35
ODR3
Ah, what can I say? Another Ponch classics... Got everything I expected, sexiness, humour and gore wrapped in a really tight package... I liked that you manage to give depth and back stories in this, though I do admit that it might had a little too many dialogs.

Yeah, it was wordy. But with just the one character on screen, she had to talk to someone. Might as well be the player. And trying to jam as much back story into the game sort of became a running joke -- but I may have gotten a bit carried away with it, I guess.

Also, you really should watch Office Space. It's a great movie. Quite unintentionally, your game really captured the flavor of that movie. :)

ShiverMeSideways

Ok, first of all: CONGRATS, EVERYONE! This is was an awesome OROW and I'm now not a game virgin anymore.

Secondly, a huge THANK YOU to everyone who played my game, I very much appreciate your time! :D

However, I'm doing a few minor improvements on Procrastinator as we speak (music, bug fixing, disabling debug mode X_X), and for those reporting the bug, I can't reproduce it, so what the hell?

Spoiler
So, you guys woke up in the padded room, freed yourselves, used the tape on the padding and then went on the balcony and clicked "Jump off" and the game froze?!
[close]

EDIT: GIT DER GAME HEAR!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk