OROW: 1st of August. RESULTS.

Started by Dualnames, Fri 29/07/2011 14:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulbapuck

Quote from: Wyz+ on Mon 15/08/2011 18:46:06
I vote for more categories, and grouping sound/music and concept/writing should be split up but hey that's something for next year.
I vote for this vote with a 4/5 vote.

Also, I'm gonna try to play and vote today.

EDIT: didn't make it :p

Dualnames

Quote from: AJA on Tue 16/08/2011 12:31:43
My nick and ball sucking in the same post... YEAAAHH!!! We definitely need more ball sucking next time.

Indeed, kind sir. If only this was spotted easier though. The multiple choices thingy, I'd have no trouble changing to it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

qptain Nemo

I second this
Quote from: AJA on Mon 15/08/2011 16:37:21
(I'm starting to repeat myself.) Maybe next time we could get the old voting system back? (Give each game a score of 1-5 or 1-10 or whatever in each category.) It sucks every time when I'd really want to vote some game but there's this other one that deserves it just a bit more and I can only choose one. :(
and this
Quote from: Wyz+ on Mon 15/08/2011 18:46:06
I vote for more categories, and grouping sound/music and concept/writing should be split up but hey that's something for next year.
oh and this
Quote from: Ponch on Mon 15/08/2011 19:32:34
And sexiness! There should be a sexiness category.

Dualnames

ENTRIES REVEALED:
AJA - Barrier
BICILOTTI - RapSqLud
CAT - Apple Farm
DDQ - Aeterna Duel
DUALNAMES - Requiem
FSI - De_Haunt
PMARTIN - The Devil Got My Woman
PONCH - ODR3
RADIANT - One Room One Cheese
SHIVERMESIDEWAYS - Procrastinator
TZACHS - Office Shenanigans
WYZ - Entrapped
NEMO - Why Am I Such A Little Bitch?

Results:

Best Game
5% (2)    AETERNA DUEL
7% (3)    APPLE FARM
34% (13)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
18% (7)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
7% (3)    ODR3
7% (3)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD V0.3
0% (0)    REQUIEM
0% (0)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST GRAPHICS

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
10% (4)    APPLE FARM
44% (17)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
7% (3)    ENTRAPPED
0% (0)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
2% (1)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
18% (7)    ODR3
2% (1)    PROCRASTINATOR
0% (0)    RAPSQLUD
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST CONCEPT/WRITING

2% (1)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
13% (5)    BARRIER
2% (1)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED
10% (4)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
15% (6)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
10% (4)    ODR3
13% (5)    PROCRASTINATOR
2% (1)    REQUIEM
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
23% (9)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

BEST SOUND/MUSIC DESIGN

13% (5)    AETERNA DUEL
15% (6)    BARRIER
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
15% (6)    REQUIEM
10% (4)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN
2% (1)    RAPSQLUD
0% (0)    PROCRASTINATOR
5% (2)    ODR3
21% ( 8 )    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
5% (2)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
7% (3)    DE_HAUNT
0% (0)    ENTRAPPED

BEST PROGRAMMING/CODING

18% (7)    AETERNA DUEL
2% (1)    APPLE FARM
2% (1)    BARRIER
5% (2)    DE_HAUNT
5% (2)    ENTRAPPED
2% (1)    OFFICE SHENANIGANS
26% (10)    ONE ROOM ONE CHEESE
2% (1)    ODR3
5% (2)    PROCRASTINATOR
18% (7)    RAPSQLUD
10% (4)    REQUIEM
0% (0)    THE DEVIL GOT MY WOMAN

And the winner, by what can be called an OMFG UNEXPECTED reaction, AJA!
For an eternity in a row!!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

pmartin

Now I can finally say:

HOW THE $%@#% I DID NOT SEE THAT DAMNMED DIARY BUG???

Ponch

Congrats to Aja and everyone else who did better than my game. Thanks, democracy. Once again you have let me down!  :D

Wonkyth

If it makes you feel any better, Ponch, I'd have stuck your game in second place for all but thus music and programming categories. Loved it.  :D

And again, hardly surprising results. Aja is an OROW sorcerer!
And Radiant again shows his awesome coding abilities. Although I must admit, it seems as though the physics were more like Sonic than Mario.  :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

kconan

Lots of entrants this time around...Congrats to Aja and great job to all for even submitting something!  I've been working on what is basically a one-room game since 2009  :-[

cat

Congratulations to the winners! And every game got at least one vote in a category, so congratulations to all participants!

Akatosh

Aw man, I can't believe I missed this. I really ought to visit more often than twice a year...

Oh well. Once again, congratulations, AJA! (And assorted peasants, of course.)

bicilotti

So, finally this is closed and it has been revealed "who-did-what". Comment time!

AeternaDual: this was a bit difficult to get into but I've enjoyed it a lot. There's much to be discovered in this JRPG-story-characterWithBoobs. My only two complaints are that it is easy to plan a simple strategy to repeatedly win (i.e. boost strength, *always*) and that there are some OOB bugs which crash the game (but that's excusable, being an OROW).

Apple Farm: simple and sweet, AGS needs more of these games aimed towards children and families. In its simplicity there are many things that show polish (sound effects, animations, vector graphics). I was searching for the last apple when I discovered that debug mode was on: that was cluncky but helped me finding the last one! :P

Barrier: this game won and rightly so! It's a little gem, if you haven't played it, do it already!

De Haunt: another one with debug mode on! :P Beautiful in its simplicity. I liked the fact that there was no interaction apart from the main one, it kind of highlights the goal and teachings of the game.

Entrapped: most difficult (for me :P)! I found it immediately visually interesting (iirc no game has exploited the "blueprint" style until this one), but was quickly lost in the puzzle. Once I got through the initial bewilderment everything was nicer and enjoyable. I would like to see a deluxe version with a tutorial/hints?.

Office Shenanigans: good depiction of an office microcosmo, albeit a bit frustrating (I've often found myself not knowing what to do or having to wait for a character animation to stop to be able to use my cursor back again!). Bonus point for the arcade game!

OneRoomOneCheese: technically amazing, fun, and with cheese! What can we ask more? I found the  "splippery floor" an interesting twist in our stale 2D platform universe. I would like to see the source of this one!

ODR3: sexism, boobs, pink flesh, lines like "Ensorceled? Give it a rest! I destroyed your top hat and revealed your true form! And I should have destroyed your thesaurus too!": we all love you Ponch (apart from that motherf**cking use battery on pirate's innards puzzle)! I demand a "making of" vydio.

Procastinator: that's a perfect example of how you can put together an adventure game with little or no graphic! Witty writing, interesting characters, lots of objects and achievements, yay! I've almost unlocked them all (and resisted the temptation to edit the "achieve.ags" file (if you haven't already, look into it and smile). Debug mode on too! F00!

Requiem: ad with "De haunt", short, simple, fun and sexy. I like fast action and this provides plenty. Choice of music was remarkable too. Two minor remarks: it seems sometimes our running characters falls through platforms (edges), should be an easy fix; two, the ending was a bit meh imho, too strong of an hint for such a short game!

The Devil Got my Woman: when I've played it the first time I wasn't in the right mood for it, so I left it right there until today. Not my cup of tea but well made. Many AGSers loved the writing, which I find ok but not exceptional, but I *do* praise the art style, unique and well chosen for this story.

cat

I don't have any comments yet, but here are some bugs I found during playing:

AeternaDuel:
Spoiler
globalscript 1232/1390: error running function on_key_press Array index out of bounds
[close]

Entrapped:
Spoiler
Inventory is not wide enough, some items are not shown
[close]

One room one cheese:
Spoiler
first time started could not move the mouse
[close]

The devil got my woman:
Spoiler
Wrong view (sliding sittin guy)
can put book back in drawer without hitting larry
[close]

AJA

Thanks for voting! Winning was fun the first couple of times but now it's just getting exponentially more awesome. Well, the opposite actually. :P

And now, onto the important part, comments! Time to refresh my memory and replay some of them!

Aeterna Duel
This was actually a very hard game when I first played it since I just went after new skills instead of increasing my stats. Now that I replayed it, it was too easy. Fusion and the other combo skills were an instant win. :P It's a very nice prototype in any case, just needs a bit of balancing. Good work!

Apple Farm
This one was a nice change of pace after failing so many times at dueling. Lovely graphics and relaxing music. Also, wasn't quite as easy as I expected. Finding the apple in the tree took some time. Nice one!

Barrier
Made in four days and it won? WTF? Actually, I'd like to thank my ancient Aiptek drawing tablet for not being the usual bitch it often is. Haven't had so much fun drawing stuff in any previous OROW.

Dehaunt
I was expecting something epic when I started the game: OMG, tile graphics! But sadly there was nothing much to do expect to go all hobbity and back again. And the game's "intro cutscene" was reading the readme file. :P But the tile system worked quite well, no crashes and didn't get stuck or anything, so good job with that! What I'd improve though, is that when you move diagonally, you shouldn't get stuck to walls.

Entrapped
Oh hell. This game contains most of the things I love about adventure games: pixel hunting, too many hotspots and too many inventory items. Well done! :P Oh, and I actually gave up on this a couple of times since the "ORDER FULL GAME" messages led me to think maybe it would all be just one wild goose chase. But I did finish it in the end, thanks to the hint thread! I was stuck because I couldn't find the fire cracker. I also had some trouble with all the items not fitting in the inventory gui. But as frustrating as it was, overall I enjoyed it. Finally finishing it felt like such an accomplishment. :)

Office Shenanigans
Probably my favorite of the bunch. I really liked the feel of the thing. Everybody moving around on their own business. (Although waiting for them to return to their places, especially when many of them would do so consecutively, was somewhat rage inducing.) The character portraits were perfect and reflected nicely the personalities of the characters. If only the top down views and the background would have received the same treatment. The intro was brilliant too, although the game inside the game looked a bit dubious when viewed from a certain mental perspective.  ::) Great job!

One Room One Cheese
Death. Dying. Falling. Suffering. Pain. Agony. No, you will not beat me, game! More death. Dying. Falling... Such a hard game and I usually would have given up but since it was a "one room" game I knew it would end eventually and that I would be victorious. And man did it feel good to beat the final labyrinth of spiky death and disappearing blocks. The audio visual presentation was exactly as it should be. Level design was very good. What made it hard was the low friction. I didn't witness any bugs or glitches. A wonderfully fun game (in a tear-your-hair-out kind of way).

ODR3
I still don't know who made this game. Loved the cartoony graphics and the weird as hell premise and puzzles. Just the right amount of vomit, gore and round shapes, too. My only problem with the game was that there was just too much continuous dialogue. Don't get me wrong, the dialogue had lots of awesomely fun stuff in it but after a while it all just started to get lost in a vast sea of vastness. Very good work, nonetheless!

Procrastinator
This one took me right back to the days when I used to make text adventure games with a couple of friends, except without the constant sudden deaths for the most ridiculous of reasons. I enjoyed the game a lot until I hit the point where everything just went black and I couldn't continue (the same point others have already mentioned). I hope you'll fix that, I'd love to find out how it ends! :)

RapSqLud
20 levels and I managed to finish probably 5 of them. The concept and execution were great but it was just too unforgiving for me. Fail a level and you have to start from the beginning, argh. After the first couple of levels I just couldn't keep up with the pace and trying to find the switch blocks with my mouse. It might have been easier with the tablet. Anyway, the game worked great, it was just too hard for me. Nicely scripted!

Requiem
Another platformer, this one I almost didn't finish. I became frustrated with dying all the time and not making any progress since you had to start from the beginning of the level. It didn't help that I had no idea how long I'd have to keep running before reaching the end. After reading on the forums that somebody said this was easier than cheese, I decided to try again and finished it without much trouble. I guess the problem for me was just being thrown into the game and having no sense of where I was going and how much progress I was making. I liked the simplistic graphical style and technically it worked great. Although, the loud beep at the start almost made my ears bleed. :P

The Devil Got My Woman
This one benefited from being alphabetically last. After all the other more or less silly games, this game felt sincere and had a lot of heart. It really deserved to win best writing! It could've done with some unobtrusive background music. Also, the WMV didn't play for me. The screen just froze and only the audio played. However, the writing makes up for all of the technical issues. Lovely work!

Okay, I guess that's all of them. Only took three hours to write this post. :P

Thanks to all the entrants for their great games!
Thanks to Dualnames for hosting the competition!
And finally thanks to bad dubbing for the inspiration to make Barrier!

ddq

Once I get back to my computer and off my phone, I'll say things about the other games, but right now I feel like saying a few things about mine.

First off, the version you all played *sucks*. I was literally changing things on my way out the door the morning it was due. It's buggy, unbalanced, ugly, and a barely functional prototype. This is due in part to only doing it in four days and partly due to my own incompetence. If anything, I'd say the biggest problem was the balance issues; if you didn't focus on Str or Mag you'd get creamed, if you did, you'd obliterate everything.

So what about fixing it? I've already cleaned up a lot, including getting rid of that pesky keyboard bug (my while loop went too far in an array), changing the XP and enemy growth rate, rebalancing the stats and store prices, changing the damage calculation, and adding in-between fight dialogs. As far as a re-release, it pretty much needs a complete renovation into an actual game with non-placeholder art and the missing content I didn't have time to implement. I'm actually thinking about sorta gutting the engine, maybe taking out an elelment or two, adding non-duel support (i.e. more than just one ally and enemy), and using the battle system in a platformer overworld, maybe making it active time instead of turn-based.

So yeah, I sorta went in over my head and tried to do too much. In hindsight, the thing I wish I included the most would be story or dialog, or any introduction at all rather than just throwing the player into the stupid game. Anyway, WE OUT, BITCHES.

Radiant

I'm going to echo the above posters and post my comments now.

Aeterna Duel
Er, yeah. I had it crash within the first 10 seconds, and basically discarded it at that point. This thread has convinced me to give it another go, though.

Apple Farm
Simple but effective; however, the music did make me turn off my speakers.

Barrier
I'm not going to repeat the above posters and say how well done this is (oh wait, I just did), but I'll just add that I found the innovative verbs very nice.

Dehaunt
I'm wondering if this is an actual tile engine, or just a room with walkable areas drawn on? If so, kudos for writing a tile engine. I didn't realize space bar was supposed to do anything, though, so I didn't see much of the gameplay.

Entrapped
Original drawing style and well-done puzzle design. Feels classic.

Office Shenanigans
Another classic. I liked the portraits, too. This is probably the truest adventure game of the bunch.

One Room One Cheese
Yeah, that was me :)  I'm surprised how many people found it very difficult; then again, it depends on what genres you're used to. I think I'll improve the air acceleration, that should help. Expect an expanded version somewhere in the near future.

ODR3
Funny but not my kind of funny.

Procrastinator
I'll write about this game tomorrow.

RapSqLud
Interesting concept but too easy to my taste. Again, I'm wondering if this is a true tile engine; if so, kudos.

Requiem
AGS needs more platformers, so it's good to see this one.

The Devil Got My Woman
Interesting premise and good dialogue.

And thanks to all who participated!

Dualnames

Aeterna Duel

Apart from the fact that the author didn't take this too seriously, this is definitely a nice rpg engine. I found the setting as retarded as ddq, but everything else was good. Top notch.

Apple Farm
This was a bit too childish for my tastes, I won't lie. But regardless a fun 2 minutes I spent on it. Very polished.

Barrier
That's the first game I played, wondering what AJA created this time. Initially, I was like "oh thank god, a typical point and click game." Then I broke that tree down. Definitely a great game, and at least worth being in the best games ever produced during an OROW.

Office Shenanigans
This is one of my favorite, and i never got around to finish it. The music is definitely my favorite out of all entries, and I can't decide if the game is sad or happy. Reminds me of Office Space, which is good, I guess :P

One Room One Cheese
I thought I made something difficult with my own platformer, and here goes Radiant, making something even more. A bit on the hard side, but satisfying and all.

ODR3
A game by Ponch, do I really need to drool over it? Yes. But I'll save it for now :P

RapSqLud
Bicilotti for the love of god, here's a game YOU NEED TO MAKE MORE OF !! Incredible what can be accomplished within a few days.

Thanks to all the entrants for their great games!
And of course AJA, for always reminding us, that win is not important.  ;D

tzachs

Aeterna Duel
While I did not play it for too long, since it was a little bit too complicated for me, I was very impressed with the amount of details, it was probably very hard to code...

Apple Farm
I really loved the graphics, it was very cute, definitely a must play for children, and a refreshing change from all those manly games.

Barrier
My favorite without a doubt, a well deserved win, it was funny as hell...

One Room One Cheese
Very very nice, I was impressed both with coding and with the level design. I actually did not find it too hard, the learning curve was very good for my taste.

Requiem
Also very nice, I really liked both the pacing and the graphical style in this one. I actually found it harder than One Cheese, mostly due to having to restart the level on every fall, but I did manage to finish it at the end.

ODR3
Ah, what can I say? Another Ponch classics... Got everything I expected, sexiness, humour and gore wrapped in a really tight package... I liked that you manage to give depth and back stories in this, though I do admit that it might had a little too many dialogs.

RapSqLud
A really great game from the italian god.
I really liked the concept, I played like 8 levels until it got too difficult for me, but I feel that with some work it could turn into a classic.

Dehaunt
It looked really nice at first but really I did not find anything to interact with... Then I saw in the hints thread that said you can use the spacebar, but I have not managed to get back to it since.

Procrastinator
A text adventure with buttons, how was it not done before? I liked the writing, some funny stuff... I thought it was a bit lazy design to allow the player to carry on without some needed items, but I can appreciate that there was not a lot of time, and it did have a certain charm to it. I eventually stopped due to that bugI mentioned earlier.

Entrapped
I loved the background, so many stuff crammed in there, and the blueprint style was very nicely done. However, it was a bit overwhelming with all the inventory items that are not really needed, and when I wanted to save and didnot find a button, I had to give up on it.

The Devil Got My Woman
I thought it had lots of potential, the setting and the writing caught me by surprise, it was very refreshing. The graphic style was also very interesting. I eventually stopped because of that damn bug, but if you create a fixed version (you also need to do some proof reading), I will definitely want to play it.

Office Shenanigans
Well, many thanks for all the people who played and commented, I really appreciate the feedback.
I knew all along that people will not like having to wait for the characters going to places, it is a major flaw, but I did not have enough time to fix it. I do intend to release an improved version, and in that oppurtinity, if there is an artist here that is interested in making graphics for this game, please pm me (that includes the portraits, I cannot take credits for them, sorry guys). I will also post in asking for help thread.
Also, dualnames, I have not played office space, I will be sure to give it a try now...

Dualnames

Office Space is a movie, young friend :P

bicilotti

Quote from: Radiant on Sun 21/08/2011 17:38:46
RapSqLud
Interesting concept but too easy to my taste. Again, I'm wondering if this is a true tile engine; if so, kudos.

Wow, the first person who played it and found it simple (I bet you're one of the few souls who finished Colourwise :) ). Have you reached the level editor?

And yes, it's a badly coded tile engine, albeit badly coded.

Kudos everyone!

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 22/08/2011 00:41:35
ODR3
Ah, what can I say? Another Ponch classics... Got everything I expected, sexiness, humour and gore wrapped in a really tight package... I liked that you manage to give depth and back stories in this, though I do admit that it might had a little too many dialogs.

Yeah, it was wordy. But with just the one character on screen, she had to talk to someone. Might as well be the player. And trying to jam as much back story into the game sort of became a running joke -- but I may have gotten a bit carried away with it, I guess.

Also, you really should watch Office Space. It's a great movie. Quite unintentionally, your game really captured the flavor of that movie. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk