Blackwell Deception trailer - removed, sorry.

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sat 06/08/2011 18:37:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Hi everyone!

This is my first attempt at making a proper, cinematic trailer for one of my games.  I've spent a few days futzing with it and I think I've got it to where I like it.  It's a bit rough in places (the voiceovers are a bit loud, for example) but I think it's a good start.  I'm looking to get some feedback before I futz with it further.

I've uploaded it to a dummy youtube account and marked it as "unlisted".  I'd appreciate it if you didn't discuss it outside of this forum thread. :)

Anyway, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyRVQSQv60Q

Thanks in advance for any initial reactions you might have!

-Dave

edit: Well, I suppose I brought it on myself.  The vid was leaked so I had to remove it.  Sorry!

NickyNyce

Looks great, well done, the only thing I noticed was that the girl falls down three times, all in the same way (animation),  seemed a bit repetitive in the trailer, but other than that,  it came out great. It certainly makes me want to play it that's for sure.

Good job for a first trailer.....can't wait for this

Tabata

To make the scenes more exclusive, I would recommend to avoid the repeatings and show „special behaviours“ only once (collapse, jumping, attacs ...) surrounded by the normal scenes with some information or little gags.

There are a very lot of different scenes in the trailer - it acts like a machine-gun. It makes me curious, yes, but I am missing some quiet scenes between, like a pivot with the camera to a view of the city or through the bar (something for the mood, done with a bit of music).

Sorry, that I am not able to explain it better, but maybe you got a clue about what I mean. ::)

But the main thing is already done - You made me want to play this game asap!  ;D

TheJBurger

I've got some comments!  ;D

• Trailers
    Look up trailers you like and figure out why you like them and why they work. For GRUE, I looked up the trailer for Moon. Pay attention to the pacing and development of information it relays -- it's kind of split up (intro / mystery / action / reflection / title), with the editing and cuts becoming progressively more rapid.

• Cuts
    Try varying the length of the cuts from image to image - consider increasing the speed of the cuts during the second half to increase the feel of tension and action (I think you are already doing it, but try more so). Also consider cutting from the middle of an action, rather than the beginning--you don't always need to show its entirety.

• Transitions
    Think about mixing up the transitions between cuts. Most of them (at least during the first half) are cross-fades. You can do instant cuts, cut to black + fade in, pauses, etc. It also helps to have moments of reflection after you make a profound statement or image rather than to cut directly to the next idea.

• Storytelling
    Think about what story you are trying to tell. Every trailer tells a story -- usually different from the promoted movie, game, etc itself, but a story nonetheless. This is because each little image and dialog contributes to a self-contained narrative in the trailer. Think about what each line of dialog means in juxtaposition which the image it overlays, and whether or not that is contributing to the idea you want it to convey.
    Here are two examples:
    - ("...You're Dead"): We see Rosangela and Joey in a darkened apartment - great, sets the mood, tone, etc. The "You're dead" line can refer to Rosa and also her state of mind, rather than Joey and other ghosts. Good set up. It's also empty, so we get a feeling of isolation and loneliness.
    - ("He brainwashed that poor kid!"): We see an alley, and Joey and Rosa walk in it -- not a lot of connection or juxtaposition between image/audio. This is where you can strengthen it. You can show them interrogating someone, or anything related to strengthen the juxtaposition.

Hope that helps! :)

Dave Gilbert

I ended up having to remove the vid (it got posted somewhere it shouldn't have), but thanks for the tips everyone!  You'll see an official announcement on September 14th.

-Dave

Igor Hardy

So that's what happened. I was surprised to come across the trailer and announcement today as the September 14th date stuck in my head.

Anyway, I managed to watch the video only one time before it got down, but my impression was that it's a strong, dynamic trailer, that gives a sense of an intriguing supernatural mystery plot. It has scenes in it that will tease people who have been following the series so far, as well as establishes the series' style for newcomers. Overall, much better work than the Wadjet Eye's Gemini Rue trailer which I found very confusing in terms of what's going on in it (and not in a good way).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk