London Riots - OR - What's your favourite thing about Hitler?

Started by Ali, Mon 08/08/2011 18:20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

It's all getting a bit smashy here in London.

I wanted to say hello to other London-dwelling AGSers. It's quiet where me and Nelly live, but she works in Brixton (where it's even less quiet than usual) and lots of our friends are in Hackney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

It's a real shame, because these are riots without a real motive. Some people are venting legitimate frustration, but there's no ideology or meaningful protest. Just a lot of people taking advantage of an opportunity for violence and looting.

On a side note, I'm off to Greece tomorrow (they know how to riot there, I'm going to pick up tips).

- Al

Bailey

That's the thing though, isn't it? It's not like a protest like the Greek do it, it's more like a pointless violence riot and an excuse to smash buildings. This is what the student protests turned into a while ago. I don't know if it's a British thing or a British youngster thing, but it doesn't seem they are actually protesting against something, rather than just randomly trying to show that they are above the law...

WHAM

1. Bring in the military
2. Authorize rubber bullets
3. Watch, realize its not nearly enough
4. Bring in helicopters
5. Authorize lethal force
6. ?????
7. Profit!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ali

I think the comparisons to the student protests aren't really fair. This kind of pointless violence puts the peaceful occupation of Fortnum & Mason and a spot of cenotaph-swinging into context.

But I agree that this is pointless, and self-destructive violence.

Wonkyth

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 09/08/2011 09:42:30
1. Bring in the military
4. Bring in helicopters
6. ?????
7. Profit!
You forgot rubber nuclear weapons.
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

Atelier

1. Bring in the military

I don't know whether this is a joke, but it makes perfect sense to me ;D

With no resistance there will never be pure discipline. I'd love to live in a world where anarchy is impossible. PM says he is putting 16,000 officers on the streets tonight, and canceling all police leave. Let's hope it goes with a no-restraint policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14450248

Just look at the video here. It's blatant disregard for authority. I wish they'd just go and beat the hoodies in the streets, or get mounted police and ride them down. These people are destroying homes and businesses, looting shops, some of them have done it for three nights in a row. The government needs to start showing serious aggression (soon, before it inevitably dies down), otherwise for me its image of feeble restraint will be perpetual. It's a good insight into memetic nature though.

Ali

I agree, most riots tend to calm down once the government start shooting civilians.

We ought to get those Syrian guys to help us out.

Victor6

1. Bring in the military
4. Bring in helicopters
6. ?????
7. Profit!

6. Reduced population leads to lower unemployment, and reduction in welfare payments.....

WHAM

When a peaceful protest turns violent, the truly peaceful protesters, if they have a brain cell between them, will leave the area when the police arrive.
Thus all thats left on the streets are the hoodlums and anarchists. I say "if they don't follow orders, shoot a few, see if they learn a lesson".

All we get rid of is the hooligans and criminals and those stupid anough not to lie down on the ground when told to do so by  the police.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Anian

It's hard to say for antoher country, but if this happened in my country - this is clearly not protesting, just pure rioting and oportunistic violence - army, rubber bullets and the dogs seem to be doing a good job. Everybody caught while looting - community service of the lowest level for several years, as for arson and violence - jail time. If your action is against the rest of the society then society can hit back.
This is not to say that a lot of politicians don't deserve the same.

On the plus point, I didn't know where in London Tottenham and Hackney actually were until they showed it on the map in the news.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Atelier

It's worth mentioning that it's spread to Birmingham, Nottingham, Bristol, and Liverpool too. 99% of the people 'rioting' in these cities have never even heard of Mark Duggan.

Quote from: Ali on Tue 09/08/2011 11:27:04
I agree, most riots tend to calm down once the government start shooting civilians.

In my opinion they lose their citizenship when they put on a balaclava and go out for a night of sticking their middle finger up at society.

Victor6

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 09/08/2011 11:29:31
Thus all thats left on the streets are the hoodlums and anarchists. I say "if they don't follow orders, shoot a few, see if they learn a lesson".

I think the Brits learned that doesn't work in Northern Ireland.

WHAM

Shooting at religious fanatics and those with true ideals will just create martyrs and people's heroes.
Shooting at thugs and criminals, I doubt will affect much more than said thugs and those who are like them. Thus we can identify them and act on this knowledge, forcefully.

Also: Community service is fine, jail time is not. These people need to be put into the service of the community, whereas if we put them in prison, the community will pay, thorugh taxes, for them to get dressed, fed and taken care of for long time, while getting nothing back at all.

Saying they lose their citizenship when they go out to riot is just right. No citizenship, no rights. Service guarantees citizenship!

http://www.thereheis.com/nucleus3.22/media/gallery/20090215-starshiptroopers-joinupnow.jpg
http://www.grouchoreviews.com/content/films/3154/3.jpg

veryweirdguy

I can see this thread is diving headfirst into nonsenseville, so I will say this:

I hope all the London AGSers are okay. Ali, sir, I really hope your area is okay, and that you and your loved ones remain (relatively) unaffected.

Chicky

I'm contemplating a trip down to see it for myself tonight, obviously not going to join in with the riots. I want to take my video camera and document everything, then i have loads of HD footage of riots, for when i make that big end of the world film.

Ali

Quote from: veryweirdguy on Tue 09/08/2011 11:51:20
I can see this thread is diving headfirst into nonsenseville, so I will say this:

I hope all the London AGSers are okay. Ali, sir, I really hope your area is okay, and that you and your loved ones remain (relatively) unaffected.

Thanks vwg, all's well with me and mine at the moment.

Chicky, if you're going filming why not look for something other than the violence. For instance it's quite inspiring to hear this Hackney woman's address to rioters: http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 09/08/2011 11:36:25
In my opinion they lose their citizenship when they put on a balaclava and go out for a night of sticking their middle finger up at society.

In my opinion, and by coincidence the law, they don't.

Calin Leafshade

There is genuine, albeit ill-informed anger amongst the rioters. Of course none of that excuses their behaviour and violence is always deplorable but we must keep a level head.

There seems to be a culture of revenge in the UK of late. We should aim to rehabilitate not retribute. (I so hope that is a word)

EDIT: Wait I just reread the thread. Some of you are suggesting *shooting at them*? Like.. with guns?

bicilotti

Italian newspapers are more interested in Cameron not tipping a waitress and then taking a pic with her and whatelse whatever.

Glad to know Ali & fiancée are still in one piece! Please keep us informed!

Ali

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 09/08/2011 14:07:36
EDIT: Wait I just reread the thread. Some of you are suggesting *shooting at them*? Like.. with guns?

I know - what is this, a first-person-shooter forum?

We should solve our problems with talking. And if that doesn't work, combining inventory items.

Thanks bicilotti, but I'm flying to Greece this afternoon. Hopefully Nelly will resist the urge to start smashing and looting while I'm away.

Matti

Quote from: WHAM on Tue 09/08/2011 11:50:25
Shooting at religious fanatics and those with true ideals will just create martyrs and people's heroes.
Shooting at thugs and criminals, I doubt will affect much more than said thugs and those who are like them.

So your idea to stop riots is to recreate the conditions for a riot?

Saying they lose their citizenship when they go out to riot is just right. No citizenship, no rights. Service guarantees citizenship!

...and with no rights, they do what exactly? Riot maybe? I would for sure!

As long as society is so brutally organized and hostile as it is, there will be riots. I consider it pointless and even malicious to point fingers on some rioters while there's always
Quote from: Ali on Mon 08/08/2011 18:20:25
legitimate frustration
among the people. Sometimes there's a sudden burst which leads to destruction and violence. Should we care so much about the actual situation that lead to the riot? Should we care so much about who actually participates in the riot? Or should we think about what's going wrong with how people live together?

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Tue 09/08/2011 14:07:36

O yeah, and let's shoot everyone. This thread could function as a fascist's guide to power.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk