Sprite TIMEWARP! 8-29 to 9-12-WINNER

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Mon 29/08/2011 15:36:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

We all know that movie/tv to videogame adaptations have had a less than amazing showing over the years, so what if I handed the reins of a project over to you?

In the relatively brief history of videogames, every one of us has seen a movie or watched a tv-show and said, at one point or another, "This would be awesome/horrible as a videogame!"

Well, now is your chance to put pixels where your mouth is and CHEW LOUDLY.

GOALS:

1a.  Render either the protagonist of your favorite movie or the principal cast of your favorite tv-show faithfully into gamedom, bearing in mind all the reasons for thinking it would be an awesome idea!

OR

1b.  Render either the protagonist of the worst movie or the principal cast of the worst tv-show you've seen into gamedom, bearing in mind all of your reasons for thinking it would be a horrible idea!  

2.  Pick a platform and produce your artwork based on the color and resolution limitations thereof.  For example, if you choose to render your favorite/most horrible game idea to c-64 then you'll need to find one of the primary c-64 color palettes available (there are about 4) and then render your art bearing in mind the restrictions of the day (2 color sprites unless you sprite-stack).  This is all stuff you will have to research for your favorite delivery format.  Any of the early consoles, handhelds and computers are allowed (Spectrum, NES, c-64, Genesis, VIC-20, Gameboy, FM-Towns, Atari 2600, Super Nintendo, right up to the mid to late 90's.  Modern pcs and consoles hardly have any limitations at all other than your own imagination so, in order to present you with some kind of challenge, stick with the more modest machines that required a bit of creative fiddling to get things done.  Most game genres are acceptable with the EXCEPTION of text-based games with no graphics.  If your text game has renderings of the cast and scenes, it is allowed.

3 (optional).  Produce a complete mockup of the game including the interface.

4 (bonus).  Provide box art for your game based on the platform of choice.  This will net you BONUS POINTZ!

5.  Give us an exciting or terrible (depending on which approach you took) summary for your game.  This would normally appear on the back of a game's box art, enticing people to buy.

6.  You must have fun even if you're making the worst movie/show ever into a game.  If you're not having fun, what's the point?

Oh, and here's an old mock-up I did quickly of a Robocop adventure game to get you started.

MISSION START!!

Monsieur OUXX

Sorry I can't participate in a game where the dates are given in reverted American format :-) It's all confusing my little brain

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Buckethead

let's do the time warp again!

But seriously might enter here if I find the time with school starting.

straydogstrut

Since falling short on my OROW/MAGS/Debut AGS game attempt i've been sulking and pining for another compo to come along that I can actually make a realistic stab of entering.

Knowing next to nothing about limited palettes - well, other than they're limited - I usually stay away from these things, but i'm going to take the plunge on this one.

Now, I haven't owned many retro consoles i'm ashamed to say, but I have fond memories of the Amstrad CPC 6128 I had as a wee lad. So until I track down a retro bundle on ebay to satisfy my nostalgia, i'll settle for some CPC-inspired art for the time being, wikipedia to the rescue and all that.

It won't be pretty though!

Wonkyth

"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

abstauber

I might enter this one :)

--edit: Okay, art is done, I'll add boxart and description later.

HOUSE M.D. for ZX Spectrum

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Brilliant!  Does Dr. House have little pill bottles instead of crosses for his health bar? :)

abstauber

Nope, but when you do the differentials with him, those bottels will be his patience meter :)

qptain Nemo

Haha, oh abstauber, I considered drawing House but you beat me to it*! :D Great job!

___
*Which I'm kinda happy about because I'm lazy. ^__^

Kastchey

I hope early 90s DOS games aren't ruled out :)

Phantasm V in Jagged Alliance 1 style (Okay, I know most of those characters are supposed to be dead or at least older but hey, I had unit windows to fill...):

PHANTASM 1999

Year 1999. Somewhere in the middle of the wasteland between New York and California known as the Plague Zone, the evil Tall Man is building his army of undead with the sole goal of gaining control over the planet and turning all the living into cross-dimensional slaves. Your task is to lead a small unit of mercenaries into the Plague Zone, find the entrance to the Red Dimension hidden deep within the Tall Man's headquarters, the Mormon Mausoleum, and destroy the source of his immortality and power.

Battle thousands of the Tall Man's minions: the Dwarves, the Baggers, the Spheres and many more.
Train your troops and research new weapons while traveling through the land controlled by the Tall Man.
Choose your way to victory: control either a military unit, well-equipped and trained in combat who have yet to see a real undead, or a group of veteran civilians who know the Tall Man's weaknesses better than anyone else.

x1
x2

I couldn't find JA1 palette anywhere, so I used an 8bit 256 color table with error diffusion to simulate the effect.
Original image (without error diffusion)

And my somewhat pathetic (and full of googled photos) attempt at box art:

NsMn

Holey Moley Fuckajoley.  :o

This is awsumz.

Dualnames

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweesssssssssooooooooommmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Kastchey, you took one of my all-time favorite series and turned it into a game.  I love you.

Kastchey

I know, and it was all planned :) I kinda owed you one since if it wasn't for your post I would never know about the series myself, so this entry is also sort of a small token of gratitude.

And I wish I could actually turn it into a game, but this fake screenshot here is about all I'm capable of, hehe. I'm ready to hand over the graphics though if anyone feels up to the task.

Dual and NsMn, thanks!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It is time to elect a winner, and as Kastchey has not only made a mock-up of one of my favorite movies but also made box art, YOU ARE THE WINNER.

Abstauber is also a winner, just not the winner of the Sprite TIMEWARP.

Both of you:  Make these games happen!

Kastchey

It's a shame there were only two entries, such a cool idea for a competition deserved more. Anyway, I'll try to think of something and start a new competition in the next few days.

Anian

Hmm, wasn't this basically the same sprite jam theme? I'm not complaining or anything, nothing wrong with a theme repeteaing, just putting it out there.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

selmiak

damned, this is over already?! I had some great ideas for this theme and wanted to do them... sometime the next time... :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk