[Bake Sale] AGS Coloseum Demo

Started by Icey, Sun 08/01/2012 22:14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Demo Version

Information on the Demo
The Demo version is a short look into the beginning of the game. You can only play as Dave and a lot of the stuff is unavailable as well. 

This game has a lot of new features such a graphics, music, and many other things. It will be able to use DLC feature from Pub Master Quest Legends. I plan to push all my other projects out of the way to fully focus on this game in hopes that I can release it with in the summer of this year.

Download

Other
Please follow Ultimate Square Enix facebook page to get new, trailers, and free downloads of AGS Colosseum. Host by Mog.net and updated by him too!

m0ds

I get an error - "MSVCR100.dll was not found - unable to load agsblend.dll"

Ghost

Yup, you'l need to get this dll here: www.dll4free.com/msvcr100.dll.html

Icey, make sure to include that dll in your download. People hate having to download patches or extras!  ;)

m0ds

Thanks, now it works! I liked the graphics, but I couldn't do anything when I reached the first battle. There's several commands bottom left like "shock" and "attack", how do I select "attack" ? Left clicking, right clicking doesn't work...argghh! I activated one action sequence but now all I can do is walk around like a tool.

Khris

Right click to get to the interact cursor, an arrow with a hand icon, with that you can click the buttons.

It's buggy* and the interface is as horrible as always, but there are definitely some improvements. I especially liked the gestures and battle animations.

*The "assualt" bar isn't reset to 0 after an action; I could attack again immediately afterwards. Also, why even bother having it if it's still just action-reaction, action-reaction, etc.
If the assault bar is part of an actual real-time battle system, not just a forced pause in gameplay, I didn't notice it.

m0ds

Thanks, I get it. There is not much in the way of a visual cue when you've selected "action" etc though.

I also noticed pressing ESC at the menu mucks things up, you can't leave that screen. Then in game if you press it, that "action, potion" GUI etc stays up so you can't click the 'resume' button (which I'm not sure if it does anything anyway)

Also, "coloseum" is spelt "coliseum", I'm sure you've been told this - your game seems to have a different spelling everytime the word is used!! The EXE has the right name, but this thread, the GiP thread... it's kind of off putting to see it have a different spelling mistake everytime.

So, although this is only a demo - it certainly has promise, intrigued to see where the cameos go, but ideally some testing before releasing would have done it some justice.

Ghost

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 09/01/2012 14:10:38
Also, "coloseum" is spelt "coliseum"
That may partly be my fault; I suggested the change to "Colosseum"- as in the literal one. My suggestion was based on this dictionary entry.

Not 'coloseum', though.

Ponch

This is the best game Icey has ever released. But why release it before the bake sale?  :o

Also, if you still want to be part of the bake sale, Icey, you'll need to correct the typos in the game's text. And remember, you can't associate your game (and by extension, our bake sale) with Square Enix. We don't need a lawsuit. We'd have to have several bake sales just to pay for the lawyers.  :-X

I'll give you another day or two to polish this game up and fix some of the bugs (like the issues with the ESC button). If you can have it ready to go by Wednesday, we'll put it in the bundle. If not, you may have to wait until the next bake sale.  :-\

Don't be discouraged, though. This really is the most impressive thing I've ever seen from you.  :D

m0ds

QuoteWe don't need a lawsuit. We'd have to have several bake sales just to pay for the lawyers.

Also the DLC content and the "anyone can buy it away from the Bake Sale for $2" thing surely isn't going to help things.

QuoteWell I was gonna release a demo version showing of part of the game. Then after the bake sale when the full game is finished I was gonna have people who brought the game get it for 1$ then for the people who hadn't purchased the demo buy it for 2$. I would take the after money and donate it to C.J so that he could hopefully take AGS to the next level with something new.

Surely, it must be one or the other - Bake Sale, wholly, or your own thing, wholly...

Note. I am not trying to be an ogre, I want icey to succeed with this too - but yes there are clearly elements that need to be addressed.

Ponch

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 09/01/2012 15:45:11
QuoteWell I was gonna release a demo version showing of part of the game. Then after the bake sale when the full game is finished I was gonna have people who brought the game get it for 1$ then for the people who hadn't purchased the demo buy it for 2$. I would take the after money and donate it to C.J so that he could hopefully take AGS to the next level with something new.

Surely, it must be one or the other - Bake Sale, wholly, or your own thing, wholly...

Oh, good catch. I missed that completely.

Yeah, Icey, that is unacceptable. You can't use our bake sale as a commercial for a game you plan to sale / upgrade separately. This is one of those "Three Musketeers" kind of things. We're all in this together, for the Child's Play charity, or we're not in this at all.

There were lots of good causes we could have supported (and, boy oh boy, did we have a tug of war behind the scenes about that!), but we agreed on Child's Play. We need your total support in this, Icey. If you want to do something different, then maybe you should wait for Bake Sale 2.

Icey

Well let me start by saying sup everyone and thanks for playing the game.

Now to answer everyone's questions in order.

M0ds My bad about the missing DLL. I remembered ponch telling me about that however I forgot to add it into the game along with a help file.

Khris The Assault Bar(which I need to fix cause there is a typo in the img) acts as the special attack given you to deal more damage depending on how fast your trigger finger is and it is supposed to pass the game.
There also must have been something I missed in the script if the bar didn't go back to 0.

Also there will be battles were the bosses have the own Action sequences and you will have to press the (A) button a number of times to avoid being hit or just hit back period. I don't know how many bosses will have this but I know it's possible.
Ghost
Yes you may be the reason I changed the name however Coliseum or Colosseum is not a word I use in my everyday vocabulary neither do I write the word so I kinda figured I was gonna spell the word wrong in the game. But I can fix that.

Ponch
  I did a lot of research on laws with games while I was working on this. I can't use someone like Cloud Strife in the game because we would all get in trouble however I could use Dennis in his place cause not only is he not cloud he is someone I created (Pocket version Dennis :D). Bahamut is a really word but the dragon is created by Square enix for their games(I think) however Bahamut(t)(Jr) is something I created for Icey games....games.

M0ds
  See the thing is about DLC is. I wanna later include battle with other AGS characters who's creators allow me to include. This DLC will be free or it will cost but I won't gain the $2, the AGS'game creator will. However if I wanted to use DLC of my own then I thought it would be right to give the money to CJ or maybe to the people who run the server.

If you read the license then you will see that DLC is not apart of the game. There for non of the games licenses will effect the DLC and it's owner and non of the DLC will effect the owner and contributors of the game(Me, Ponch, Ghost, you, etc...).

Ponch
  When is the next bake sale? Cause if it is before the end of this year then maybe I can still release the game for it. Cause I am only focusing on Dave's part of the story that way I can import all the sprites, music, and SFX and stuff. Then I will work on Christen's part so It could take me all year but I would like to have it finished by this summer.

Also thanks again guys for the complements and playing the game. The crit really helps and really hope I can make something really good out of this game. I got the foundation for it so now all I need is to actually complete it.

Also has anyone ever used Granny 3D? I was planning to use that to make 3D short cutscens for the game and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good 3D program to use that wouldn't be that hard to work in.

Ponch

Icey,

The next bake sale will happen next year (I think). Or possibly this Christmas? I can't say for sure. I think Calin Leafshade may be running that one. At least, I hope he will. After this one, I'm pretty pooped and I hope he still wants to take the reins of the next one.

No matter the date, that gives you plenty of time to work on this game for the next sale. However, since we don't want to confuddle people, could you please take the AGS Bake Sale tag off the game until after this bake sale is over? I don't want people asking why your bake sale game isn't in the bundle of games they bought in the bake sale. It might lead to people thinking we ripped them off by holding some games back.

When the next bake sale rolls around, you can slap the Bake Sale tag back on. But in the meantime, we don't want any games using the tag that aren't going to be in the bundle.

Hope that answers your questions and good luck with this game.  :)

Icey

Ok, I def have enough time then. And I will take it off tonight and thanks :)

Kastchey

If the 18+ rule is still intact, Icey might want to wait until Bake Sale 3 anyway :)

Icey

There was a age requirement for the bake sale! I didn't know but how come you said, just curious? :)

Icey

Oh snap. I guess I over looked that post seeing how I didn't subscribe to the page from the start. However the even if I fixed the games current errors I still can't enter it cause it's just a demo. I think I can handle AGS: BS2 at 17. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk