The Far Corners of the World: Chapter 1 - The Book, the Box and the Key

Started by Wesray, Wed 31/08/2011 22:51:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesray

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 06/09/2011 23:45:48
There's nothing wrong with a serial game, even one with a cliffhanger ending. But I feel that SOME of the mysteries the player spent the entire game solving should be resolved! After all that time I still don't know
Spoiler
why Suzie is in a coma, who the villain is,  how and why they put her in a coma, what the disc is, and of course if Suzie ever recovers!
[close]
. While perhaps some of these questions could leave us in suspense until the next installment, there should have been at least something resolved by the time the game is complete.

Don't worry, I fully understand that point of criticism. Actually I'm surpised nobody mentioned that issue so far. I pondered hard about including certain parts
Spoiler
like the hooded villain
[close]
in this game, seeing as they won't become relevant until later. But in the end I decided it was worth including them 1) to increase the urgency and spice things up a bit, 2) to foreshadow certain events and connect the games better with each other and 3) to give you guys something to guess and form your own theories, for those that enjoy that sort of thing.

I'm still of the opinion that the ending I found was the best cut-off point for chapter 1, and I think once you'll play the next part you'll understand and agree. Chapter 1 is more of a mystery, while chapter 2 will go in a somewhat different direction. I can promise you at least that most of the questions you mentioned will be answered in the next part and you'll get a much better sense of where the series as a whole is going. But of course that doesn't mean everything's going to be wrapped up neatly!
THE FAR CORNERS OF THE WORLD: Chapter 2 currrently in the works...

KiraHaraReturns

I really enjoy TFCotW, unfortunately I didn't play it through yet, but I intend to. The story is quite compelling and I really like the graphics, the colors you've chosen are not always adventegous, but the compositions of the backgrounds are totally harmonious. I dislike the fact, that the player has solely to interact with exits and "walk to exit" doesn' t work, but it's not a big deal. Also I found a little bug, which is rather helpful in my opinion, if you enter the house, where Suizie was living and immediately interact with the 1b-door Jeff turns over and enters the flat without going to the second floor. Either way I'm definitely fond of this game.

Ilyich

Congrats on releasing this! I've been looking forward to it since you posted about it in the Production thread all that time ago and here it is!

Finished about a third of the game so far and so far it's wonderful - interesting, charming, not too hard, but not too easy - just the way I like them. :) It really feels like classic adventures did, and that's great. Now I'm looking forward to finishing it and then -  to the next chapter. Great job!

Wesray

@KiraHaraReturns:
Thanks for your feedback! You shouldn't need to click on most of the exits, simply going there is enough. However, in some cases you need to first go farther into the room before you are allowed to leave. That's an annoying bug that will be resolved in the next version.

@Ilyic:
Yeah, development has taken quite some time, hasn't it? I learned the hard way that making an adventure game means lots and lots of work. But on the other hand, keep at something long enough, even if it's only a couple of hours a week, and it will be done eventually. :) Good to hear that the difficulty level of the puzzles works for you!

I hope both of you have fun with the rest of the game. Feel free to drop by and tell me what you thought afterwards, it's always good to hear other opinions. :)

The Last To Know

I really liked this game. I could finish it yesterday, although I was sometimes stuck at some points.
I hope you will release the second part, as I'd like to know more about the story.

The graphics were OK, they seem a bit rushed sometimes, but that's fine with me.
A few bugs here and there, but overall you did a very good job!

Thanks for creating this game. :)

Wesray

@S-Made:
Grats for completing the game! How many points did you get? Maybe you can send me a PM with the bugs you've encountered, I plan to resolve them and upload v1.1 sometime soon.

Part 2 is in the works and progressing nicely, but there's still a lot to do!

digitalray

could someone help me get on ? i am stuck.

i got 36 points so far and on my todo list (F1) i see talk to dr hart (speaker doesnt work) and look for info what happened to her (was in her room and got all stuff, even found out the coordinates, but he doesn't want to go to the park).

tried roaming the museum again, tried combining all inventory, don't know what to do now :/

arj0n

@Digitalray:

Have a look here, that's the 'game hints and tips' section of the forum  ;)

HandsFree

Just finished this and I'm impressed!
Intriguing story set up, good length, great puzzles.
Most were doable, but a few times I needed more guidance than was given.
I would have liked to find out a bit more about what's going on after several hours of gameplay though.
Loved the music too, but it wasn't clear to me what was done by your composer and what was 'additional' (the credits went by to fast to check that). Maybe you can add some more info on the tunes you used in a readme or something?

Looking forward to chapter 2.

Wesray

@HandsFree: Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it! It's good to hear that you found enjoyment in the game, makes me want to do an even better job on chapter 2!

About the soundtrack, DrWhite composed the following original tracks:
Spoiler

Title Screen Music
Jeff and Tiffany's Theme
The hospital
The park
The hotel restaurant
[close]
There should have been a readme file with a small manual and stuff in the game folder, but I just checked the zip-file and of course I forgot to include it. I'll reupload the game including this file, which also contains the full list of additional music.

lucydark

I had the flu this week and I want you to know that this game got me through:) It was excellent!!! I pretty much forgot about everything and entered your world- thanks for the fun. It was clever, intriguing and beautiful. I can not wait til chapter 2.

Puddleglum

Just finished the game (with a little help from your walkthrough :-X) I LOVED IT!! I appreciate all the effort you put into the interactions and all the items, and I didn't encounter any bugs at all. I can't believe it was your first game - very well done and I can't wait for the next one.  Thank you and congratulations!

Wesray

@lucydark & Puddleglum:
It's always nice to learn that people are enjoying my games - big thanks for letting me know! :)

While this is my first released game, I've played A LOT of adventures over the years, and I tried to incorporate many of the things that I myself deem enjoyable. This includes detailed descriptions for everything, makes the game world feel that much more alive. And hey, I must compensate for the sub-par graphics somehow...  ;D

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Wesray on Mon 09/01/2012 19:45:53
And hey, I must compensate for the sub-par graphics somehow...  ;D

They are hardly sub-par. They look distinctive, have a pleasant color palette and are full of charm.

Sane Co.

Quote from: Ascovel on Mon 09/01/2012 20:13:26
Quote from: Wesray on Mon 09/01/2012 19:45:53
And hey, I must compensate for the sub-par graphics somehow...  ;D

They are hardly sub-par. They look distinctive, have a pleasant color palette and are full of charm.
I quite agree with Ascovel, they are better graphics than a number of the ags games you can find. Anyways if the graphics were sub-par I'd probably have quit, except for the fact that the puzzles and story are too good. Another good thing is that you have a distinctive style, and I could tell your game from another any day.
Thank you for spending your time to waste mine,
Sane Co.

Wesray

@Ascovel & Sane Co.:
Thanks guys! Glad that you liked the graphics after all! I agree that they could certainly be worse.

It's just, more often than not, my graphics don't turn out the way I imagined them, which can be quite frustrating. Drawing is a slow process for me, espescially in part 2 where I try to add more details here and there. And in the end, the greatest part of the development time is spent on what I personally feel is one of the weakest aspects of the game. But I guess we must work extra hard on the things that don't come naturally to us. And it's satisfying when I get another one of these pesky backgrounds done... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk