One-Point perspective backgrounds: Characters, Lighting, Shadows

Started by LostTrainDude, Wed 07/09/2011 20:51:22

Previous topic - Next topic

LostTrainDude

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

hedgefield

I'd drop the transparency a little lower still, maybe a slight blur to soften them up. To get hard dark shadows like that there would have to be a searchlight outside the window, pointing in. :)

Plus the color of the window shadows is grey, while the ambient shadow of the room is purple.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: LostTrainDude on Fri 09/09/2011 16:33:11

Like this, you mean?

Yes.

I don'tt have anything to add because I like your very last update (with the columns) very much.

But one last comment, for tutorial's sake : Most of the time, the lower area (the black part) is "camouflaged" by adding objects in the foreground. It makes it look less awkward.
For example in this one-point-perspective you'll notice that the wlakable area is actually much smaller than the scene suggests.

LostTrainDude

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 12/09/2011 14:57:13
For example in this one-point-perspective you'll notice that the wlakable area is actually much smaller than the scene suggests.

"Alright, Jones... How you're gonna find that statue in all this JUNK?" :)
Thanks! The "something in the way" method is 'vox populi' so I'll definitely try it:)

Anyway, I've just finished some refining, following both the tips of anian and hedgefield (thanks a lot, guys!):
  • I've removed the gradient from the 'table'
  • I've tried different opacities for the shadows
  • I've added some blur, which I'd say it gave it a drop of unexpected magic to the shadows
  • I've then added some other shadows, filling the gaps between the 'perspective lines' I've created before.

These are some results:

70% opacity

65% opacity

60% opacity

70% opacity + 'perspective lines'

The blur filter also created a 'halo' around the windows, I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not, but I kinda like the sense of "graphic depth" that they give to them.

EDIT: Just to be precise. Right now I'm only "playing" with shadows, lights and perspective. I'm sure that this kind of darkness is a probable "no no" for a common character's presence
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk