iOS5 Issue [SOLVED] so let's discuss iOS5 now!

Started by Darth Mandarb, Fri 14/10/2011 04:30:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Mandarb

I have searched the interwebs quite a bit to see if anybody else has this issue but I seem only able to find "close" issues but nobody has the same issue (well I found one place where a fellow had the EXACT problem but, of course, there were no replies to the question).

So I thought I'd turn to my AGS pals and see if there are any iTunes/iDevice gurus 'round these parts that might be able to solve the issue;

I updated my iPad and iPhone to iOS5.  Everything went smoothly and I'm loving most of the new features (the text macros are aces and iMessage is a very nice new feature to stick it the carriers that RAPE us for texting charges... but that's a whole other story).

Anyway... on my iPad when it did the 'restore' after all the updates were done it only put some of my apps back on the thing.  The rest are still in iTunes, just sitting there taunting me, but it simply will not put them back on the iPad and I can't find any way to accomplish this.

The show up in the "Apps" tab in iTunes but I can't transfer/drag/drop nothing.

Anybody know how to get them back on the iPad?

Khris

Blind guess: they're incompatible with iOS 5, which is detected by iOS/iTunes and therefore not copied.
Not very likely I guess, but looking at a similar situation with Firefox and Add Ons every time I switch to the latest version, maybe that's it.

OneDollar

If you go onto the App Store (on the iPad), go to the purchased menu and switch to 'Not On This iPad' do they show there? If so you should be able to redownload them, or at least get an error message if they aren't compatible yet.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: LeKhris on Fri 14/10/2011 10:40:23Blind guess: they're incompatible with iOS 5, which is detected by iOS/iTunes and therefore not copied.
Not very likely I guess, but looking at a similar situation with Firefox and Add Ons every time I switch to the latest version, maybe that's it.
A good blind guess 'cause that was my initial thought as well (had the same issue(s) with Firefox as well).  I checked the compatibly of the apps and they are good to go in iOS5.

Quote from: OneDollar on Fri 14/10/2011 13:21:02If you go onto the App Store (on the iPad), go to the purchased menu and switch to 'Not On This iPad' do they show there? If so you should be able to redownload them
This was the next thing I tried... but I was hesitant to do it because I assumed (turns out incorrectly) that it wouldn't have all the stored data from the apps.  After a few hours of desperation I tried it anyway (on a less important app) and it pulled in the stored data as well (guess the iCloud is good for something!)

Thanks for the help fellas!

Since the issue is resolved I wonder if we could/should turn the topic to iOS5?

What does everybody (who is using it) think?

Pros
  • the notifications bar was a much needed feature (even if it's a virtual clone of the android one it's nice to see apple doing the copying for a change!)  It's great to have one area to check instead of bouncing all over the place as before
  • text macros are VERY cool... you can also use them to stop autocorrect from changing words you commonly type.  Tarah was cooking dinner last night and I took her phone and added a macro for "lol" and made its phrase, "I like shagging farm animals" so the next time she replies to a txt with lol (which she does often) it's going to send that phrase instead.
  • iMessage - I cannot stand the way the cell providers rape us for text msgs which cost them nothing.  iMessage is a step in the right direction to stop the criminal (and yes I mean criminal) activity of the cell providers.  Seriously... research it.  It will infuriate you to know you're being hit with over a 10,000% markup on text messaging.
  • lock screen access to the camera is finally here and they made the volume up button the shutter release as well.  Both are much needed improvements

Cons
  • iMessage can be a little glitchy and if you send a group message unless ALL are on iOS5 it just reverts to SMS.  Understandable "why"... just annoying
  • Notifications feel a tad 'rushed' and I've found a few apps just don't trigger it like they should.  Still not a major gripe
  • iMessage (on the iPad) has no real convenient way to tie into your phone's iMEssage and requires an email to be sent to you in order to receive it.  Again, understandable (the iPad isn't a phone), but still annoying to necessitate another contact number/email.

My only major hesitancy is iCloud... I mean for things like the app restoring mentioned above I think it's great but I'm still just not comfortable storing my personal stuff (emails, photos, files, etc) on Apple's servers.  I think an awesome choice would be to be able to set up your own iCloud (on a server in your house) and your iDevice could store/access data from it instead of Apple's servers.  I just don't want my private files under somebody else's eyes.  I think this is the one part of cloud computing I'm just never going to be on board with.

Chicky

QuoteTarah was cooking dinner last night and I took her phone and added a macro for "lol" and made its phrase, "I like shagging farm animals" so the next time she replies to a txt with lol (which she does often) it's going to send that phrase instead.

Hah! I'm certainly going to anger a fair few of my friends with this feature.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk