What represents "Interact" better? A pointed finger, or an open hand?

Started by KodiakBehr, Sun 09/10/2011 18:52:01

Previous topic - Next topic

RetroJay

Hi Tabata.

I Totaly agree.

Gears are the way to go. :)

In the game I am making I have my inventory screen.
Within this screen I have two buttons. One is an eye (examine item) and the second is Gears (use item).
You select the 'Gears' icon and then the item you intend to use.

Jay.

Snarky

If you only have two modes, why do you need buttons at all? Why can't you use the standard "left-click=use, right-click=look" control scheme?

cat

As AGS now runs on other platforms without mouse, it might be a necessary not to depend on the existance of a right mouse button (just think tablets, smart phones,...)

Igor Hardy

Quote from: cat on Thu 13/10/2011 11:59:29
As AGS now runs on other platforms without mouse, it might be a necessary not to depend on the existance of a right mouse button (just think tablets, smart phones,...)

I think tablets and smart phones will adapt to the two button scheme after a while. Even Mac computers did - it's just a much more flexible control scheme.

cat

Igor Hardy

More likely recognizing which finger you are tapping with. :)

Maybe that's even already out there - I haven't been following the newest releases in this kind of tech.

RetroJay

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 13/10/2011 11:56:36
If you only have two modes, why do you need buttons at all? Why can't you use the standard "left-click=use, right-click=look" control scheme?

You are quite right I could do that.
Personally, though, I prefer 'Look' and 'Use' buttons.
I find that having buttons on an inventory screen makes what you are doing feel more 'hands on'. :-\

Or it could be that i'm just a sucker for buttons. :P

Here is my Inventory window

On a serious note.
My inventory window is just a slightly modified version of the default and I decided to keep the buttons.

I spoke with my Bro about this issue, who has played every adventure game going, and he said "This is good"... So there. ;)

Jay.

Snarky

This design is a pet peeve of mine. I think it's pretty terrible, particularly in games that otherwise use left-click/right-click. It makes it so much more work to play around with the inventory. For example if you're trying different item combinations, you usually have to do two or three point-click interactions for each combination instead of just one.

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 14/10/2011 09:04:00
For example if you're trying different item combinations, you usually have to do two or three point-click interactions for each combination instead of just one.

I say that's a deserved punishment for trying everything on everything strategy. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk