The Blackwell Deception - now on Steam!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Wed 12/10/2011 17:45:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Wadjet Eye Games presents:
Blackwell Deception
(Blackwell #4)

The story
Street psychics.  Their blinking neon signs are everywhere, promising love and wealth and happiness.  They make a fortune preying on the gullible and milking them dry.  So when these victims begin dying and leaving confused spirits behind, it can only take a genuine psychic (and her wayward spirit guide) to clean up the mess.  

From seedy downtown nightclubs to penthouse apartments to a luxury yacht on the Hudson River, Rosa and Joey will unearth the truth about the underground world of street psychics.  Including some secrets that Joey would rather be left buried.

Screenshots:

The void.

A storefront psychic's office.

Joey gets his groove on.

A familiar face returns.

A peek into Rosa's past

Snooping around a Columbia University dorm

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Z5A6CVCME

Demo
http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/demos/Deception_Demo.exe

Price
$14.99

Buy it
From HERE

Team
Written and programmed by: Dave Gilbert
Backgrounds by: Indrek Plavutski (InCreator)
Character sprites by: Ben Chandler (ben304)
Character portraits by: Daniel Rubenstein
Music by: Thomas Regin

Also, Abe Goldfarb and Rebecca Whittaker both return as Joey and Rosa.

VO samples
Rosa clip
Joey clip

Conversation clip 1
Conversation clip 2

Notable features:
- Note combining is back!
- Rosa has a smart phone now.  No more trekking back home to use the computer.
- Five individual cases to solve.
- More ghosts than ever!*  Eight in total.
- Part of Joey's secret past revealed!
- Plus all the usual guff - voice acting, orchestrated music, commentary, and unlockable bloopers/extras.

You can buy it from the official Blackwell Deception page.

*Legacy and Unbound had two ghosts each, and Convergence had five.

Igor Hardy

Congrats on the release, Dave, Ben, Thomas and InCreator!

I'm very happy this series keeps growing. It's probably the hottest original adventure game series of the millennium so far.

Dave Gilbert

Quick review roundup!

Alternative Magazine Online
The Blackwell Deception is a welcome addition to one of the most enjoyable adventure game series ever made. 9/10

Adventure Gamers
Perhaps the best game in the series to date, Blackwell Deception is an enjoyable retro title and a well-rounded effort that’s easy to get into and hard to put down.

Gnome's Lair
A fantastic adventure game. Buy it now and make sure to thank me afterwards. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to give it another playthrough. 

Noob Feed
The game not only lets you play it, it takes you inside the story and makes you get along with it.

Gamer Node
If gamers are looking for a quality point-and-click adventure with a unique blend of characters and a distinct narrative to drive the action, they should seriously consider picking this up. 4/5

Capsule Computers
Blackwell Deception can pack some emotional punches where it counts. 8.5/10

Indie Game Reviewer
“Blackwell Deception”, their latest entry in a series of classic adventure games, hearkens back to the days of classic Sierra adventure games, even down to the graphics. 5 stars

Platform Nation
The star of this game is the story and its characters. 9/10

Game Cola
Don’t be “deceived” â€" Blackwell Deception is an excellent game.

Dealspwn
Pay attention, adventure fans: this is probably the most fun you'll have all year.

Adventure Classic Gaming
This is a must play for any gamer who loves indie and classic adventure games. When the game is finally over, you will get a warm and satisfying feeling of solving a compelling mystery.

Snarky

Yay! I heard rumors at Mittens that this was the best Blackwell game yet, and the reviews seem to bear that out (the last three listed give it 8.0, 9/10 and 5 stars respectively, btw, in case you missed it). Congratulations on the release!

Looking forward to playing, but it looks like my pre-ordered dl has got lost in the mail somehow? (Why this should ever happen is something of a mystery to me, but whatever. It seems to be available from the page linked in the original purchase receipt, anyway.)

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 12/10/2011 20:02:48
Looking forward to playing, but it looks like my pre-ordered dl has got lost in the mail somehow?

This has happened to a few other people as well.  If anyone hasn't gotten their download link, let me know - by email! - so I can forward it to BMT.  BMT is aware of the problem and they will immediately send you a download link.   Or you can do what Snarky did.  That works too. :)

Peder 🚀

Congrats on the release! I unfortnatly have to wait to buy this (and I wanted to get the DVD :() untill I have some more cash.. Downloading the demo right now though to give it a try ;D.

Ponch

Cool. I'll give the demo a spin.

Is this going to mark the end of the Blackwell series, finally giving you the free time needed to produce your magnum opus, The Oceanspiritwell games?  ;)

kconan

Congrats on finishing this, and the graphics look awesome as expected.

SarahLiz

Well...please, please slap me silly for asking this Dave, but do you plan to release an, ahem, walkthrough for Deception?  So many times I have thrown in the towel on great adventure games, and I am determined to finish this one the whole way through...cheats or not!!  Plus, I just don't like missing out on stuff that I could have tried to do, or trying new possibilities that might have given different results/endings.

Soooo...?  This may be the LAST thing on your mind right now as you're just getting the game released, but whenever you guys think of it (or if you already have it!) could you pretty please post it somewhere!  Or email it to sarahewarren@hotmail.com

Thanks for ANY help.  :)

Sarah

Midian Design

CaptainD

I actually thought I might be the first person to review this game... should have known better!  But I'm likely to say a lot of the same things, really good game.

arj0n

Congrats, now I have to wait for the DVD to arrive...  :)

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: SarahLiz on Thu 13/10/2011 06:39:51
Well...please, please slap me silly for asking this Dave, but do you plan to release an, ahem, walkthrough for Deception?  So many times I have thrown in the towel on great adventure games, and I am determined to finish this one the whole way through...cheats or not!!  Plus, I just don't like missing out on stuff that I could have tried to do, or trying new possibilities that might have given different results/endings.

Soooo...?  This may be the LAST thing on your mind right now as you're just getting the game released, but whenever you guys think of it (or if you already have it!) could you pretty please post it somewhere!  Or email it to sarahewarren@hotmail.com

Thanks for ANY help.  :)

Sarah

I rarely bother since someone usually rises to the challenge pretty quickly.  And lo and behold - Gamezebo to the rescue!

Saren

Deception was released 3 days ago and there's already a walkthrough available, ahaha.

I just downloaded and played through the entire game in one sitting. Wow. It's so action packed compared to the first 3! I'm breathless with anticipation for the 5th game already! I can't wait to see what happens next!

AJA

Finished it yesterday! Great work, Dave and everybody!

But funnily enough, on my second playthrough (commentary) I seem to be stuck...

Spoiler
I've got the Haines apartment key, exhausted all the dialog options with both Madison and Penelope, talked to Jeremy about having talked to Penelope and played with the baby but Madison just won't leave her apartment! Did I miss something or did I break everything by leading the baby out of the room before I was supposed to do so?
[close]

Dave Gilbert

This is actually a very common roadblock to run into on multiple playthroughs!  Did you:

Spoiler

Talk to Penelope about the Peridot first?
[close]

AJA

Spoiler
I loaded a saved gamed from a bit earlier and was able to talk about the peridot with Penelope. I guess the problem emerges when you get the key before talking to Madison or Penelope about it. After that Penelope has no dialog options to choose from and you're stuck.
[close]

SarahLiz

I got stuck in the same way, and sadly had to restore from a previous save.   :-\

Quote from: AJA on Mon 17/10/2011 16:10:30
Finished it yesterday! Great work, Dave and everybody!

But funnily enough, on my second playthrough (commentary) I seem to be stuck...

Spoiler
I've got the Haines apartment key, exhausted all the dialog options with both Madison and Penelope, talked to Jeremy about having talked to Penelope and played with the baby but Madison just won't leave her apartment! Did I miss something or did I break everything by leading the baby out of the room before I was supposed to do so?
[close]

CaptainD

Spoiler
Leading the baby out definitely isn't a problem, I'd done that and it still worked okay.  The only thing I can think of is, did you send Joey in to have a look in the bedroom?
[close]

AJA

Spoiler
No, I'm pretty sure the problem is the key. Once you've got it you can't get the dialog options that introduce the key puzzle.

After the cutscene with Joey and the old man, go back to Seagram and steal the key. Stuckness ensues.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk