Tune Contest - Underwater - until November 1st [WINNER ANNOUNCED]

Started by nihilyst, Sat 15/10/2011 23:14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

Hey,

I hope there'll be more contestants than in the last one. Today, you'll have to do a musical piece that would fit into the category

underwater.

May it be Mega Shark vs. Octopod, a visit to Atlantis, scuba diving in the Caribbean, a World War II submarine mission, Cthulhu awaking or just you playing trumpet in a swimming pool, it's your choice what your piece of music will be about. The more it feels 'underwater' the better.

Entries can be submitted until November 1st.

cheers
nihilyst

Bulbapuck

Got some inspiration, I am working on a quick entry.

But man, it's been so long since I composed a midi! It's remarkable how much worse I've gotten :P

EDIT: It went faster then I thought it would, *here it is* :)

EDIT2: I suppose I should explain how I chose to implement the theme. My idea was basically that this is music from a man in a submarine. He hears beeps from the equipment and odd noices from the ocean, and they seem to form a melody! So he picks up a guitar and plays along :)

disposal

Hey I just joined here but sure I'll give it a shot. I got a whole heap of song ideas on my desktop that I need to get around to finishing. I could make one of them sound underwater somehow.

Wait, does it have to be a midi song?  ???

Bulbapuck

Quote from: disposal on Fri 21/10/2011 05:09:06
Wait, does it have to be a midi song?  ???

Nope, I just decided to make it a midi :P

nihilyst

That sounds great, Bulbapuck.

Keep 'em coming :D

@disposal: Your entry can be done in a style of your choice: just the midis, mp3s with your digital instrumentation, live recordings of yourself playing the banjo or whatever you're most accustomed to.

disposal

Done.

My song is about a capybara that is swimming but apparently they need another kind of its species to keep it company otherwise you'll need to quit your job or work from home because you'd need to spend lots of time with them.

http://soundcloud.com/disposal/capybara

Bulbapuck

Ooh, very nice song, fits the theme perfectly :D

nihilyst

Is anyone working on an entry here? If not, I choose the winner tomorrow.

Viking

I'm working on something, although I've only had a few hours to spend on it (just saw this competition on Friday), so it's not that great, and it's quite short.  It's reasonably well orchestrated, though, if that counts, and it made me do a bit more research into harp technique. :)  I'll try to get it done tonight.  If I don't, please go ahead without me -- deadlines are deadlines, after all!

nihilyst

Damn, that's gonna be one tough decision.

Both of your songs convey that 'underwater' feeling that I asked for. That's great right away :D
While Bulbapuck's song is slow, soothing and some kind of sad, disposal's song has a melancholic feel to it, but not without being playful. Ah, they're just so different and good in their own ways that it's hard to pick a winner.

But I think I'll go with Bulbapuck. I like the melody and could listen to it the whole day. Congratz! :D
Thank you for participating :)

Too bad Viking couldn't participate anymore. I would still love to hear what you've come up with, Viking.

Viking

Congrats, Bulbapuck!  And thanks for the great theme, nihilyst!

For what it's worth, I just finished my piece, Dive to the Shipwreck, scored for 4+3+3+1, 3+3+3+3 (with third part doubling picc., E. hn., b. cl., cb.), timp., 2 perc., harp, strings.  It finishes rather abruptly, but if it were a "real" composition it would be much longer. :)  The orchestration is fairly decent (compared to most of my pieces), the thematic development is pretty much nil.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get my program to use muted strings or trumpets, which is what I was going for.

Sorry I wasn't able to finish in time!

nihilyst

Hey, but thanks for letting us hear your piece anyhow. I really could imagine hearing it in a movie.

I wonder why no one did something about OCEANspirit Dennis, though ;D

Bulbapuck

Sweet, I didn't expect to win this :D Thank you!
I can't believe that I forgot about checking this thread though, I feel so embarrassed :-[ Anyway, I'll start up a new one momentarilly.

Oh, and Viking: Insanely epic song, I like ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk