[COMPLETE] BAKE SALE: Indiana Rodent

Started by Radiant, Fri 02/09/2011 10:53:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

We're looking for a music composer. PM me if you're interested.

The best kind of music would be some sort of retro chiptune, but other suggestions are also welcome. What we're looking for is one-minute looping music that plays during a level, and it would be nice to have two or three different tunes for varying levels.

Has been filled.

Radiant

DoorKnobHandle

Really looking forward to this, I've played and finished the tech demo for what feels like the hundredth time now!

arj0n

Very nice job Radiant!

Great to see another platformer being made.
The new level screenies looking nice b.t.w.

Q: is there a reason you can only jump once when keep holding the jump key, instead of continues jumping?

Edit:
Maybe it would be nice if an info (like a popup above the cheese saying "savepoint" or something) is shown shortly and then vanishes when you hit the savepoint.
(At first didn't got it why I couldn't 'pick up' that cheese....)

Radiant

Progress report,

Coding: 90%
Graphics: 90%
Music: 60%
Level design: 30%

Quote from: └» Arj0n «┘ on Sat 03/12/2011 16:54:11
Q: is there a reason you can only jump once when keep holding the jump key, instead of continues jumping?
It's a design choice; I believe that most platformers I've played recently do it that way. One press equals one jump.

QuoteMaybe it would be nice if an info (like a popup above the cheese saying "savepoint" or something) is shown shortly and then vanishes when you hit the savepoint.
Yep, there will be hintboxes.

Radiant

Music and Graphics just hit 100%. Thanks, folks!

Radiant

I would like to have feedback on the gameplay. Please check out this one-level demo.

http://crystalshard.net/test/IndianaBeta.zip

DoorKnobHandle

It's coming along very nicely. I have problems with movement still though. (1) Indiana Rodent still feels sluggish, I would greatly increase the acceleration and deceleration, make him react more quickly that way. You know how there's lots of platformers with icey ground where you slip and slide sort of? The game currently still feels like your on such a surface throughout. (2) You jump higher when you're moving left or right? That feels very counter-intuitive. I think you should be able to jump just as high while standing still and just hitting the UP key. (3) The level design can be a little unintuitive. These sorts of spots where you can't see where to go next should really be avoided like the plague, I feel:

It's great fun to play, still, and I'm very much looking forword to a full release. You did a clean and excellent job for an AGS platformer!

Radiant

Quote from: dkh on Wed 21/12/2011 14:54:12
These sorts of spots where you can't see where to go next should really be avoided like the plague, I feel:
If you set difficulty level to 'easy', there'll be little arrows to show you. Perhaps I should add more of these.

Also, thanks for the feedback. It's hard to get jump physics in a way that most people like (fwiw, jumping higher when you've got a running start is not uncommon in platformers, but that doesn't necessarily mean people like it that way...)

DoorKnobHandle

Oh yeah, getting the physics to feel just right is incredibly hard.

About the level design: I noticed the change in this regard when setting the game to easy difficulty, but that doesn't make a big difference, it's not about the difficulty (you can just move slowly on higher difficulty and you'll be fine anyways), it's just the way these spots make the player feel. Just feels wrong and out of place to me.

Radiant

Heh, I'm getting all kinds of mixed reactions on the physics.

Note that having acceleration on the main character (as opposed to having him move at a constant speed when the key is pressed, and stop instantly when the key is released) is a deliberate design choice, because many famous platformers like Mario, Sonic, and Cave Story also do it that way. I do realize this increases the difficulty level, but that's why I've added easy mode.

Ponch reports he has no problems with the glide physics, and so do Mystic and Kconan. On the other hand, Frodo notes the difficulty in skidding when you stop (possibly gliding off the platform).

Some other points reported: the scrolling should be faster (because you can presently outrun it and go off-screen); and the platform behind the tree in level one should be in front of the tree instead (because it's hard to jump there otherwise). There was a suggestion for a weapon or other powerup; I don't think a weapon is very fitting here but I could go for e.g. a turbo or invincibility powerup.

More comments are welcome, of course.

Radiant

This has been released! Please come to this thread instead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk