[COMPLETE] BAKE SALE: Zombie Attack (FINISHED!)

Started by ShiverMeSideways, Mon 24/10/2011 21:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

ShiverMeSideways

OH HEY GUESS WHAT! :D

After all the years I've spent on the forums, some which have been dedicated to unsavoury acts under a nick-which-shall-not-be-named, I think I can finally give something back.

So it's my wish, nay, my privilege, nay, my very goal at this present time, to contribute with a game to the AGS Bake Sale.

Obviously, since I suck at graphics, I chose a text-based game. Obviously, since I suck at puzzles, I chose a non-adventure game. Obviously, since I'm about as original as something terribly un-original, I've decided to make it a shoot 'em up inspired by all the '90s era action games (Doom in particular) - this being a rehash of an old Pascal game I made (and FSi ported to C, if I remember correctly).

Anyhoo, development screenshots!

Actual depiction of a modern-day intersection in Bucharest, Romania.

Not pictured: third rehash of engine + monsters and corpses randomly generated + being able to shoot in all 4 directions.

Let's. Go. Shoooooppppiiiiiinnnnooomaaagaaaaadd!!!

"BOOM!" I say.

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Episode 2 teaser.

Just one of the new bosses you will face in Episode 2! He should be quite... explosive...

I don't even know what's going on anymore!

Additional: videos of early prototypes (1) and (2)

Features:
* Action-focused gameplay for REAL MEN AND WOMEN.
* 3 "episodes", each comprising of 2 levels, the layouts of which will be randomly generated, with a 4th episode planned to be unlockable when completing the game once.
* Randomly picked power-ups, monsters, and scenery objects.
* No BS story. Sometimes, even the most hardened of adventure gamers want to kick back, chew bubblegum, of which they're out of, of course, and kick some undead demonic ass. No infection plot, no green blood, no aliens - just. straight-up. satan. to the max.
* So much retro inspiration you'll be nostalgia trippin' six ways to Sunday.
* MOAR!

As always, comments, suggestions and everything that's on your mind is encouraged and heartily appreciated.

I'd also like to publicly thank all those who supported this game in the Bake Sale thread - you helped me to make a choice and I'm going to stick to it and hopefully reward your support!

Technocrat

Another stalwart contribution to the non-adventure club on AGS!

Ghost

Allow me to communicate to you my desire to PLAY YOUR GAME!

QuoteActual depiction of a modern-day intersection in Bucharest, Romania.
I see you're using top-notch references, probably life-streams from GoggleMaps, too! That's cutting edge.

Which reminds me: Melee weapons?

Which brings me to: Chainsaws??? *

_____
* That would totally make it a classic adventure, too. There's always chainsaws in adventure games, but never any gas. Or vice versa. You could have both!

Ponch

I'm shocked Romanians would build a four way stop over a satanic shrine like that. Seems like poor city planning if you ask me. On the other hand, you have to love those large yellow lines. Nobody is going to accidentally cross into the oncoming lane with those babies in place!  :=

ThreeOhFour

An ambitious and interesting project, Dan! Look forward to seeing it finished and freshly baked  :=

tzachs

Retro ftw!
I've already told you, but thought of giving some encouragement here too: this looks awesome and I love those sfxs...

ShiverMeSideways

Hey, thanks, everyone, this is some great feedback, I promise to finish this in time for the bake sale no matter what! :D

Development has been a little slow, though, but I've added some new features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8EymgfkiY. I really should start making the different stages of the level now. :)

@Ghost: yes. And of course, yes.

@Ponch: I no carez bout perspctivz & proprtins.

abstauber

DitherMeSideways, what a strange graphics style :P
I think I'll love the concept of blasting everything away, though I'm a bit concerned that this mixed low-spec/ascii mode will put me off.

But if the gameplay is fun, who cares :)

ShiverMeSideways

Ok, so, while taking a break from working on the random generation of the first level, I've written some game design ideas I'd like to implement. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this:

QuoteMeta-gameplay and RPG elements

Players start out limited to the first difficulty (Can I Play, Daddy?), 50 max hp, and only capable of using the first few, basic, human weapons (fists, pistol, shotgun, handgrenades), but through play and defeating more monsters and bosses, they can unlock more possibilities (heavy, supernatural, and demonic weapons, hp boosts, bonuses to damage, changing the types of bullets they have â€" i.e. piercing shots for pistol) as well as new content. By defeating the game (first 3 episodes) for the first time, on the first difficulty, players unlock the standard difficulty, Hurt Me Plenty. After beating the game (first 3 episodes) on this skill level, the next tier in difficulty unlocks, as well as the extra, fourth, episode, The Doomed Dimension. More than that, through continual play and gathering of achievements, even if players die during a playthrough, they get experience points, which they can spend on different stats and upgrade the characters they’ve been using. There will also be unlockable characters that will become available after the players have fulfilled certain conditions â€" each with their own different stat tree and special abilities, not to mention different sets of randomization variables â€" some, more special, items may be more likely to appear for some characters than others.

Now, back to figuring out why one zombie refuses to chase me around the level. Just. That. One. Particular. Zombie. o_O

Quote from: abstauber on Mon 31/10/2011 07:53:12DitherMeSideways, what a strange graphics style :P
I think I'll love the concept of blasting everything away, though I'm a bit concerned that this mixed low-spec/ascii mode will put me off.

Yeh, I'm trying to use ASCII characters to draw everything, but since I'm not really keeping the original, 80x40 text-mode proportions, I'm just wingin' it - I hope to refine the "art" style as I go further along development. However...

QuoteBut if the gameplay is fun, who cares :)

This is the main drive and idea behind the game, yes :)

Wonkyth

Shiver, you're forgetting index 0 again, aren't you. :P
"But with a ninja on your face, you live longer!"

ShiverMeSideways

UPDATE TIME!

Ok, so, finally, after quite a bit of procrastination and testing, random level generation works! As such, here are different maps of level 1 of the game!!!

Also, here's a bestiary!

Now, I'll work on this and then get on to adding items in the game as well as making the shop and exit actually work, and then it's off to level 2!

There is a ton still left to do, but I was so happy that the generation works (at least 95%, there is still a background that is generated weirdly). I'll screenshot dump later with how the rooms actually look, including some monster patterns ;D.

Dualnames

Shivers stole my idea, frankly. So yeah. PLX BAN.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Quote from: ShiverMeSideways on Tue 01/11/2011 09:50:12
Ok, so, while taking a break from working on the random generation of the first level, I've written some game design ideas I'd like to implement. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this:

Unlocking difficulty levels gradually is a tried and tested concept , and I think it's good- but maybe make beating Difficulty 0 unlock Difficulty 1 and 2: Some people will always want to get to the "hard stuff" quickly, and the others can still chose.

The same goes for a "gloablly upgraded character": I like that a lot and it should be a great motivation that everything you do will benefit future game sessions. Unlockable content and new classes sounds very good in theory, and if you can pull that all off in your time, shit yeah! I still prefer having access to the "meat of the equipment", though: It's cool to have to play for a while until you get the rocket launcher, but having to complete the game three times to do so... nah. But I'll happily do that to get the DOUBLE rocket launcher, or the one that fires cake ;)

This is not Critics Lounge of course, but the Abomination clashes with the cool "letters" theme: Could't it be the actual WORD "BOSS"? And you gotta kill each letter of it seperately?  ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 10/11/2011 10:14:02
This is not Critics Lounge of course, but the Abomination clashes with the cool "letters" theme: Could't it be the actual WORD "BOSS"? And you gotta kill each letter of it seperately?  ;)

I like this idea.  :D

Snake

That's it. You are ALL banned from this forum. BAI.

ShiverMeZomboids, this is looking better and better! CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

ShiverMeSideways

Helllooooooo again, AGS Forums! :=

Ok, so, I'm waaaay behind on my proposed schedule (like a week or so), but progress IS being made. In short, I'm almost done with the first episode (that's the first 2 levels), I've implemented more (randomnly-chosen) bosses, special items, the (randomnly generated shop).

I strongly suggest you watch this video if you want to actually see how everything works in practice! :)

Also, here is the updated bestiary + special item list:

Quote from: Dualnames on Thu 10/11/2011 08:02:23Shivers stole my idea, frankly. So yeah. PLX BAN.

Totally, dude. ;)

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 10/11/2011 10:14:02Unlocking difficulty levels gradually is a tried and tested concept , and I think it's good- but maybe make beating Difficulty 0 unlock Difficulty 1 and 2: Some people will always want to get to the "hard stuff" quickly, and the others can still chose.

The same goes for a "gloablly upgraded character": I like that a lot and it should be a great motivation that everything you do will benefit future game sessions. Unlockable content and new classes sounds very good in theory, and if you can pull that all off in your time, shit yeah! I still prefer having access to the "meat of the equipment", though: It's cool to have to play for a while until you get the rocket launcher, but having to complete the game three times to do so... nah. But I'll happily do that to get the DOUBLE rocket launcher, or the one that fires cake ;)

Yes, I agree, I'll make you play the easiest difficulty, but after that, both the medium and the hard ones will be unlocked.

Regarding the weapons, they will be unlocked in groups:
* Human Weapons - fists, pistol, shotgun, hand grenades (already available from the start)
* Heavy Human Weapons - chainsaw, machine gun, rocket launcher, small nuclear device
* Hellish/Unholy Weapons - ???
* Outterworldly Weapons - ???

As such, you don't have to unlock every weapon manually, and you get more toys to play with once you unlock a group, you get more toys to play with, win-win! :)

The main idea is that through playing the game, you gather experience points, and you can use these to upgrade proficiencies with weapons, basic stats like vitality, speed, etc., and even unlock new characters with different stats and play styles all together. Still fleshing this out in concept, though, and considering my tardiness, we'll see if I can still implement it before the deadline. The priority now is to at least have a complete game to play. :-[

QuoteThis is not Critics Lounge of course, but the Abomination clashes with the cool "letters" theme: Could't it be the actual WORD "BOSS"? And you gotta kill each letter of it seperately?  ;)

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 10/11/2011 15:13:29I like this idea.  :D

I'm sorry to let you guys down, but this is just not my intention. I understand where you're coming from, so I'm trying to draw the bosses using ASCII characters (for the most part), but my plan is to have 3 bosses per level, and every time you play, you get a different boss. I also decided to go with more complex designs to make them more "bossy", because if they were just regular ol' ASCII chars, then they would be indistinguishable from the regular monsters.

Quote from: Snake on Thu 10/11/2011 15:32:02ShiverMeZomboids, this is looking better and better! CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY!

Hey, thanks, I would appreciate some feedback on the beta from you, when I get there and if you have some spare time! :)

Snake

Yes, I agree with your decision about the bosses. I wondered that at first look, but I agree that making them designed a little more outside the ASCII world is a good move. There needs to be some distinction between normal enemies and level bosses.

Like I said previously, CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY!!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Ghost

I like the shape this is taking, escpecially your explanation about unlocking stuff.
I shall defenitely buy the BakeSale package!
I shall also refer to you as ShiverMeTileways now.

ShiverMeSideways

Thanks, Snake and Ghost! <3

BTW, check first post, bottom screenie. ;D

EDIT 30 NOV:

Welp, looks like Ghost's request has been granted, I've added heavy weapons to the game!

Watch video here.

Added: Chainsaw, Machine Gun, Rocket Launcher, Plasma Rifle.

ShiverMeSideways

Bump! Sorry for the double-post, but I guess it's ok if I'm actually updating with content?

Ok, so, Episode 2 is nearing completion (check first post for new screenies), so I need your help!

Click here if you want to help out by testing the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk