Hero6 source code is published!!!

Started by deltamatrix, Tue 25/10/2011 22:21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

deltamatrix

Hi all,

I have been a on/off member of Hero6 for too long and seem to be the only 'surviving' member who wouldn't mind seeing it thru to some completion. However, this is simply never going to happen as the Hero6 project is dead as a can of spam and I don't have the time, patience or effort to continue and neither does anyone who was a member.

I was wondering, should I just publish the src code here (it was ported to AGS a while ago) and see if anyone wants it coz I have lost interest in working on it.

Thanks

Delta.

EDIT: Here is the src:
http://s153599580.onlinehome.us/files/Hero6_src_0302.rar

Please note that this never even reached alpha stages so please be prepared for bugs, messy code and many TODOS.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

qptain Nemo

Well...
Spoiler
yes, of course. why not?
[close]

kconan

If the project is dead then why not?  At least folks trying to learn AGS could benefit from your hard work.

Radiant

I'm sorry to hear that, this has been one of the legends of indie adventure gaming.

I have no idea how feasible this is, but I think it'd be great to release the graphics and music made for the game as free resources to the community (just like how we have InstaGame, the free RON art, and so forth). That way, rather than being forgotten about, the resources would find a place to be used in some fangames.

Of course that's up to the respective artists to decide, but I think it'd be a good idea.

deltamatrix

All the other retrospective artists have pretty gone and all private forums used for Hero6 business are deserted. Although this was discuss a while ago between myself, Gron, Ianfe and a couple of other senior members. As I recall, open-sourcing was agreed as a last resort.

I don't have all the old material that was created (theres a lot of random shit) - only the most recent material relevant to the latest pre-alpha release of the uncompleted game. Also the general AGS src is quite messy and will need a thorough clean up (all scripts, room-scripts, dialogues, GUIs etc) - something I don't have hardly any time to do no more (especially since I'm starting a new job soon). I don't have the ancient old Hero6 demo and the old MAD-based version off hand - that'll take some digging.

Very well then - if you're keen on the idea - I will post the URL to the src right here in this thread and announce the death of the project 'officially' on the site.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

WHAM

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

deadsuperhero

QuoteI have no idea how feasible this is, but I think it'd be great to release the graphics and music made for the game as free resources to the community (just like how we have InstaGame, the free RON art, and so forth). That way, rather than being forgotten about, the resources would find a place to be used in some fangames.

Well, they could always donate their art assets to OpenGameArt, I'm sure that all of their work could go to good use. :)
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

deltamatrix

kconan

Wow, some stunning backgrounds in there.  Thanks for releasing the code!

qptain Nemo

By the way under what terms do you release this? Does anybody have the right to use this for whatever or what?

RickJ

Also, what version of AGS is required?

deltamatrix

RickJ: The latest AGS should work.

qptain Nemo: Ah didn't really think about licensing terms. I suppose since the intention is for others to maybe reuse the source code to either create their own QFG based game (the code should be useful for that), perhaps GPL is the best one. Although the src is not bundled with any licence terms or conditions so any violation of any terms chosen hereby would be impossible to prove.

Ponch

Wow. There's some really cool stuff in there. Thank you for releasing it. Sorry such an interesting project went unfinished, but the AGS community still gains something from all you hard work.  :)

RickJ

Since your resources may live a long time in one or more place in cyberspace may I humbly suggest you include a readme file in your rar that contains the license, AGS version and other relevant info.

With regard to license terms, you may want to consider a Creative Commons Attribution License

deltamatrix

Might do so if I get the chance. Although not sure if I still got access to the FTP server to upload another copy.

Really just wanna leave in the capable loving hands of the AGS community and put it behind me.

oprion

Gosh, all these years, and my magic shop interior is still in the game.

I am guessing if someone decides to pick this up, they'll need to find the last version of the plot outline, dialogues etc.

Colt, Bonito, Gron, Sir(sic!)Elthil...memories

deadsuperhero

Been playing through it some, just for the sake of seeing the fruit of the labor of so many years.

I'll be honest, it's a little disappointing to see one of my favorite projects still be so raw and unfinished. It has some truly wonderful ideas behind it, and it's a shame to see the project fall apart after so long.

On the other hand, getting all the assets and source to this is a real treat.  It'd be neat to see some design docs to better understand how parts of it were supposed to fit together.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

oprion

Quote from: oprion on Fri 04/11/2011 18:11:03

I am guessing if someone decides to pick this up, they'll need to find the last version of the plot outline, dialogues etc.

Just checked, and the original plotline, setting, descriptions, art, questst lines are still available on the member's section of hero6.com, but these date to 2004-2006 so they probably wouldn't be of much use.

PatientRock

Ditto, on the backgrounds. Very pretty and it's a shame things didn't work out.

deltamatrix

We did abandon the plot to do with the Golems and Alminisar. We instead tried to go for something less complex and darker (hence the dark forest addition), in which a cult of shadow mages under an increasingly evil influence were rising and threatening the region of Albion.

The exact plot details were never finalised and I don't remember exact details no more. Any plot will do I guess.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk