Byte of the Draculator II

Started by Baron, Sun 30/10/2011 01:42:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

Ha, well.... where to start?  Really, if you want to know every detail of how this project came to pass there is a whole thread documenting the process here.  Answering your questions directly....

Quote from: dunnoson on Fri 11/11/2011 01:39:39
How did you come up with this idea?
My original plot idea was for a love-lorn bionic vampire to escape a military base, since it would make for a short game with a clear objective.  There were many writers who adapted, altered and fleshed out that original concept to create the final product.

QuoteHow long did it take you?
The swarm project ran from May to October (five months), but there was a lot of down time in there.  My personal active time on the project (excluding correspondence, recruitment, discussion, etc.) was probably around 80 hours.  This entailed most of the programming, debugging, some animation and drawing, importing assets (and editing them to fit, if necessary), writing interactions and doing the documentation (code comments and readme file).

QuoteI want to know all about this game, because I am trying to come up with a good CSI game that has excellent graphics.

Well, I didn't have much to do with drawing a lot of the graphics....  If you're looking for art direction, you should consult with our art director Ali.  If you are looking for how-to tips, you should read the swarm thread and PM anyone who has submitted background art or animation that you admire.  If you are looking to recruit artists then you're going to have to get them enthusiastic about your game and convince them that it will be successful when finished.  To do this it is helpful to have already released a game, thus proving you can follow through on what you propose, so I recommend working on a small project first to hone your skills (perhaps a MAGS entry?).

QuoteAlso, a Robot Vampire?  That is an interesting character, and you need to fill us in on the background of the story.
All I know is in the readme file, which is basically what appears in the completed game announcement (above).  We didn't really spend a lot of time fleshing out the back story as we felt that it would just weigh down the story in such a short game.

Baron

Sorry to double post, but I thought I'd link to our Developer's Playthrough that attempts to document the contributions and processes behind this game.  This is my first ever playthrough, so I apologize in advance for it being unpolished in places.  Enjoy!

EDIT: Part 2

EDIT: Part 3

Wyz

It's fun to see people not realize the game was made by a swarm rather then a single person. That's a good job on consistency to at least some degree :D
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

discordance

hey did anyone notice this was on pc gamer? you guys are famooous

Armageddon

Hey! I know the guy that wrote that, cool to see he's working at PC Gamer now. :D

Baron

Hey Spaniards and Spanish speakers: we've got a Spanish translation now!  Many thanks to Ekeko for his hard work translating -it takes real talent to translate the vibe of all of our bad jokes. 

If you're new to this and trying to access the Spanish translation, run the Winsetup file in the game directory and toggle Spanish under Game Language.

Ekeko

Quote from: Baron on Wed 18/01/2012 02:56:07
It takes real talent to translate the vibe of all of our bad jokes. 
Awww, it was nothing, I mean, I can translate MY terrible jokes!  ;D

Jared

Woo! I got in the credits of a game. All I had to do was draw a single standing sprite of a black guy..

EDIT: lol only just noticed how long ago this came out. Man. Was very funny though and pleased to see it was left open for a sequel..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk