MAGS November: "Oceanspirit Dennis" (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by Ponch, Wed 02/11/2011 02:56:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Topic: 'Oceanspirit Dennis'

This month's guidelines were set by icey:

The rule this month is simple. Create a game set in the Oceanspirit Dennis universe (or "Oceanspiritverse", if you're one of the OSD faithful (or Oceanspirit Denniverse if you're Monkey_05_06))!

If you know nothing about the second greatest AGS open source series (RON being the first, of course), then feel free to check out the Oceanspirit Omnibus. It's your one-stop link-fest to all things Dennis. Plus, almost all of the existing OSD games are open source, so you'll have plenty of ready-made assets on hand to help you make your game -- A rare break from the usual DIY MAGS format!  

So what are you waiting for? There are tons of untold tales waiting to be... um... told... (that was a bit awkward. I must remember to fix that before I post this)! How did Dennis and Life Partner Ray first meet? What became of Square Penis' sinister plot? Why is Hansel such a douche? Where do all those blobs come from? Why do Zebra Cats never listen when you tell them?

We'll only find out if you get involved and help us get to the bottom of these and other mysteries!

So if you've always wanted to try your hand at the OSD universe or if you've started an OSD game in the past but never finished it, here's your chance. Atelier is letting me host MAGS this month and I'm throwing all the rules out! (Well, most of them, anyway)!

Ending 30/11/11

Beware! Legal boilerplate that Atelier is making me post follows!

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! (<-- Ignore this part! ) Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Good. Now that we have that stuff out of the way, here's the important stuff you need to know:

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

* A working download link.
* The title of your game.
* A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalized in the MAGS Archive. For more information visit the Official MAGS website.

And most importantly, have fun!

Icey

Can't wait to see the entries for this MAGS. X)

Ponch

Quote from: S3 on Wed 02/11/2011 03:52:38
Can't wait to see the entries for this MAGS. X)

Why stop there? Be a part of it, Icey. You're the one who picked the theme, after all. Get out there and give MAGS your Icey fresh best!  ;)

Icey

I didn't know I could enter! However I don't think I will have the time because of, well- you know.

Ponch

Quote from: S3 on Wed 02/11/2011 04:17:08
I didn't know I could enter! However I don't think I will have the time because of, well- you know.

It's an OSD themed MAGS, Icey. It's the theme you picked! And it's open source!! Half the work is already done for you!!!

If you don't create at least a teeny, tiny game for this, I may not let you join us at the "cool kids" table in the AGS cafeteria when CJ rings the lunch bell tomorrow. The choice is yours, Icey.  ;)

Icey

You make a good point. I will join this party and become king!(or something close to that :D)

Ponch

Quote from: S3 on Wed 02/11/2011 04:36:10
You make a good point. I will join this party and become king!(or something close to that :D)

Darn right you will. Ben304 and I vouched for you. We told all the other kids you were cool. Don't let us down, Icey.  8)

Ghost

Dammit Jannit! I shall be part of this with a awesmoe tale which will be epic and also elliptic, and... yeah. Count me in!

Rocco

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 02/11/2011 02:56:13
If you know nothing about the second greatest AGS open source series (RON being the first, of course),
Sorry, but i dont agree with the above statement.
Cause Maniac Mansion Mania is in fact the greatest and biggest AGS open source series, with more as 100 Episodes so far.
I had to point that out, so no offense and good luck with the oceanspirit Theme.  :)

Ponch

Ah ha! You are correct, Rocco. I should have said "original content" open source series. Thanks for correcting me and please feel free to make an OSD meets MMM game.  ;)

Atelier

Two entries so far... any more?? The resources are all there, and it doesn't matter how shoddy the game is! :D

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Mon 07/11/2011 15:42:57
Two entries so far... any more?? The resources are all there, and it doesn't matter how shoddy the game is! :D

Am I allowed to make a MAGS game for a MAGS I'm co-hosting?

LUniqueDan

I totally missed the whole Oceanspirit Dennis trend. I guess I'm less Hipster than you psychothalassodyonyssians OSDers, but I MAY have a cool idea. Still have a lot of games to play at first.

BTW, Ponch : WTF ObjectOn[1] ?!? Who still use that?  :P
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Ponch

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Mon 07/11/2011 16:40:35
BTW, Ponch : WTF ObjectOn[1] ?!? Who still use that?  :P

I do! I started in 2003 with AGS 2.56d, and I've learned no new tricks since then.  ;)

Icey

OSD sorta 99% 著名[MAGS]

Database section

Ponch

All right. With 3/4 of the month left to go, Icey has already crossed the finish line.  8)

Still plenty of month left. I hope to see a few more entries before this is over.  ;D

Icey

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 08/11/2011 02:01:43
Still plenty of month left. I hope to see a few more entries before this is over.  ;D

+1

Also is there a limit to how many games you can make? I just had that idea.

Ponch

Quote from: S3 on Tue 08/11/2011 03:02:56
Also is there a limit to how many games you can make?

I'd say you should only submit one MAGS per contest. Any more and you would just be showing off, Icey.  ;)  ::)

Ghost

Quote from: Atelier on Mon 07/11/2011 15:42:57
The resources are all there, and it doesn't matter how shoddy the game is! :D

You mean I've been spriting and thinking of a way to rip off Blues Brothers without any need to do just that???
Dang... well, maybe if I drink a lot of beer...

Ponch

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 08/11/2011 18:01:42
You mean I've been spriting and thinking of a way to rip off Blues Brothers without any need to do just that???
Dang... well, maybe if I drink a lot of beer...

Drinking a lot of beer is always a good start to any endeavor.  :D

I look forward to your MAGS game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk