[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

EchosofNezhyt

Yeah. The pictures and such are not.

There is a few tools out there that let you resign the apk.

I used to use it for modding someones graphics for there game without them sending me the source or me waiting for them to compile.

Greg Squire

Quote from: Blackthorne on Sun 15/07/2012 15:07:18
I'm very interested in this, and I think a lot of others will be, with the coming of OUYA ( http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console )  Being able to make our games for a console would be pretty interesting. 

Bt

Yes an OUYA port of AGS would be awesome!  I'm sure it could be just an extension of this Android port.

retrobeans

First of all, excellent work on the Android port!

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this port on the Google/Asus Nexus 7 tablet, or knows if it would work?

I'm thinking of buying one, the ability to play AGS games on it would be the deciding factor for me.

Thanks

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It works just fine on my Acer Iconia a500 so I'm sure it works on the Acer nexus 7.

Nixxon

Quote from: DazJ on Wed 16/05/2012 15:52:15
Running my 1280x720 game I receive the following error as soon as I try to run it:

"The background scene for this room is smaller than the game resolution. If you have recently changed the game resolution, you will need to re-import the background for this room."

ALL backgrounds are 1280x720 and I even double-checked and re-imported them all so I've no idea why I'm receiving this error? I also tried starting the game in different rooms but still receive the same error.

Just thought I'd mention. I have a 1024 x 800 game, wouldn't work (same error as you'd received) on my galaxy s2. I recently bought a galaxy note and the game works fine (as the note is 800 pixels wide/high - Galaxy S2 only 480 pixels. wide).

lukas2288

Are king quest remakes supported by latest version of AGS Android Port?

QuestingHero

Quote from: lukas2288 on Mon 30/07/2012 21:59:57
Are king quest remakes supported by latest version of AGS Android Port?

Sure are, and they work great!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

JJS, I really hate to do this since it's not really any fault of yours, but after a forced update to my Acer now all the music in ags games either stop playing or never start at all.  I have 3 of my games installed and since this update all three do this.  My music players (like Pandora and xmplay) seem unaffected by the update and so far only AGS has showed any negative results.  I'm not sure if this is or going to affect other people or what since it did some modifications to the android os as well so I thought it was better to just post this here than ignore it.

I should add that all three use mp3/ogg, not midi.

Just to be safe I uninstalled ags and reinstalled the latest august build and didn't get any positive results.

BigMc

You should probably mention the old and new versions of what was updated.

JJS

It will be hard for me to work on this error without the device :(

But the logcat of the device could give some information on what causes it though. Can you run a game that shows the bug and then upload the log from your device? You need a logcat reader for doing that (e.g. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nolanlawson.logcat&hl=de). Also enable the "write log" debug option in the settings of the Android AGS app. The log contains all kind of system messages, you can crop out everything before and after the game.

Also how much of a sound gets played before it cuts out? Is the behaviour always the same or does it randomly play more/less?

What version of Android do you run?
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'm using ice cream sandwich and I've messaged you the logs you asked for.

SSH

I'm curious. What does System.OperatingSystem return on JJS's new ports, as there's no defined values for iOS, PSP or Android?

Calin Leafshade

In the current ports it returns windows because some of the engine functions like plugins rely on it being so.

I imagine that will be changed eventually.

giom

I've been using it for the past 2 months on my Touchpad running cyanogenmod. Thanks JJS, great work! Having this run on a tablet is my dream come true ever since I first saw adventure games on a DS.

I've finished the following games without any issue:
- All the blackwell games (some slowdowns in the last game, particularly the yacht scene)
- King quest 2
- PISS

I've tried to play Gemini Rue but couldn't get past the action scene (and the tutorial) where I needed to press ctrl...
I've also just purchased the Summerbatch bundle (great bundle by the way, I've only played PISS so far and it's really a great game...) but both Patchwork and  Barely Floating fail.

I get the following error with Patchwork:
unresolved import 'SetVariableSpriteFont' I'm guessing it's an unsupported plugin for higher resolution sprites?

With Barely floating, here's the error I get:
Error: load room: unable to deserialize prop schema

Again, great work! It's nice to be able to play AGS games on a tablet...

JJS

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Fri 17/08/2012 22:32:28In the current ports it returns windows because some of the engine functions like plugins rely on it being so.
The engine could technically return the real operating system to the game. The real problem is that some games make assumptions based on the returned value that are untrue or just don't work properly. E.g. some games disable plugins if the returned value is not Windows and Gemini Rue doesn't play background sound on the main screen (you don't want to know how long I tried to "fix" that because I thought it was a bug in the port).

Ideally games should not query the operating system at all. Asking the engine for the availability of a feature would be much better, but even then I don't know a real usage scenario for that. Personally I would like it best if games would just go ahead and assume that the engine does the right thing.

Quote from: giom on Sat 18/08/2012 18:57:01I get the following error with Patchwork:
unresolved import 'SetVariableSpriteFont' I'm guessing it's an unsupported plugin for higher resolution sprites?
The plugin is for drawing bitmap fonts, but yes that is essentially the reason.

Quote from: giom on Sat 18/08/2012 18:57:01With Barely floating, here's the error I get:
Error: load room: unable to deserialize prop schema
The error occurs because I don't include the agslua plugin (yet). But the game won't work regardless because it is made with a modified AGS engine (to support widescreen resolution).

SSH

Perhaps what we need is some System variables that actually tell the games what they want to know rather than them trying to assume it from the platform, e.g.

System.IsTouchScreen
System.HasHWKeyboard
System.SupportsPlugins
System.HasMindControlInterface

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: JJS on Sat 18/08/2012 19:47:51
Quote from: giom on Sat 18/08/2012 18:57:01I get the following error with Patchwork:
The plugin is for drawing bitmap fonts, but yes that is essentially the reason.

Omg, someone used my spritefont plugin?

I will provide you with source ASAP JJS OAO

Calin Leafshade

Delivered: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27247158/AGSSpriteFontsrc.zip

Sorry about the programming. It's almost certainly terrible.

JJS

Nice, thanks! I will add it to the repository. Should I assume the same license as for AGSBlend?

Calin Leafshade

I don't remember exactly what the license for AGSBlend is but you can consider this giftware or public domain. I really don't care that much. Credit would be nice but not required.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk