[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

JJS

Alright, I pushed the changes to the repo and uploaded new daily builds with the AGSSpriteFont plugin. As for the license, I added a readme saying that the code is public domain. That should be ok from what you wrote, if not I will change it. Thanks again for making the source available.

Played a bit of Patchwork on my phone: outstanding production values there! I recommend using the standard hardware renderer for best performance.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Calin Leafshade

BigMc

Please use CC0 instead: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Just saying that something is public domain is ambiguous and it's not clear if such a statement is valid always and everywhere. CC0 has the necessary legalese.

Calin Leafshade

feel feel to appropriate ownership and apply that license. I really dont mind. I'm unlikely to work on it again and if I do I will change the format entirely and make it OOP and thus break compatibility.

JJS

I changed the license to CC0.

Crimson Wizard

A bit offtopic, but Sprite Font sounds like a good candidate for a new engine feature, rather than being separate plugin, don't you think?

Calin Leafshade

Yea, i certainly think its feature worthy.

AGS already has mechanisms to add new font renderers easily so the engine code would be easy.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I've noticed that usb keyboard support is kind of iffy with ags android right now.  I can get it to work fine for typing and other games/emus but ags seems to ignore some keys (like return) entirely.  Is this a known issue?

JJS

Not a known issue yet as I have no means to test usb keyboard support. The closest I come is running android-x86 in VirtualBox. In there I can type and the Return key works (e.g. in the save dialog). There is no support for keys that are not found on the Android onscreen keyboard though. That means no ESC, F1-F12, Alt, Ctrl, Shift. I could look into adding those if that is what you mean.

In which game do you have problems with the Return key and in what context?

Alex.001

Good job so far, it works almost perfectly on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ! I'm playing the Blackwell games at the moment, apart from the occasional sound issue which causes the game to force close it works perfectly. Sound issue: 1. the sound suddenly stops (usually when I try to skip a conversation), then the game force closes. This sometimes happens even when I do not skip a conversation. 2. sound suddenly starts to "stutter" (i.e. repeats first part of a spoken sentence, music as well). Game continues, and after restarting the engine, sound works fine again.
Anyway, thank you very much for making it possible to play those games on android devices, it is greatly appreciated.

JJS

The multithreaded sound system is not perfectly stable yet. This especially applies to multiprocessor systems. So this is certainly something that has to be fixed.

Intense Degree

Yeah, the sound stuttering/force close thing is really the only thing against this otherwise excellent port (on Galaxy S3) and it's great to hear it's being worked on. For clarification it only seems to happen when 2 channels are used, i.e. background music and speech or background music and sound effect.

The only other minor issue I have encountered is a massive slowdown (consistently) on a couple of screens in the last Blackwell game where the background was animating (moving yacht and nightclub). This isn't too serious though and on some other games where the background is animating it seems fine.

Thank you once again for giving us AGS games on our phones, commuting hasn't been the same since!

JJS

For an instant fix you can turn off multithreading in the sound preferences. This will cause sound stuttering e.g. when changing rooms though.

SKYY

I can't get the QWERTY keyboard to pop-up when I focus the engine on text fields. Samsung Galaxy note w/CWM 9 (paranoid android ). Any ideas?

JJS

The keyboard does not automatically open. You always have to longpress the MENU hardware button.

SKYY

I longpress the Note's soft-menu button, and it does not bring up the keyboard.  I can only access the function keys (F1-F12).  I'm welcome to suggestions--I love AGS.  The fact that it works on Android is just phenomenal.  I just wish I could get it to work for my phone!

I'll keep trying things--maybe if I upgrade to JB it will work.  As of now, I've only tried the N7000 in GB (stock), and ICS (CM9).

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteIn which game do you have problems with the Return key and in what context?

Return and Escape tend to have problems triggering on all of my games at the title screens (when skipping cutscenes or checking for iskeypressed to begin the game).

Actually, it almost seems like the keys you didn't hardcode to work from the menu just aren't reliable.  I can't use the arrow keys to move around, though the space bar works, but then the enter key is unreliable and escape doesn't work...but then the tilde key works.  It's really odd behavior and since I've tested my keyboard thoroughly I know it's not defective.

SKYY

Well, I've tried again with JB on the Galaxy Note, but the soft keyboard still does not work.  Hardware keyboards connected with USB work, but pressing any character or backspace results in a double-keypress (ie.  "s" does "ss").

I know this was designed purely for no KB/Mouse, with touch being the primary cursor and clicking interface.  However, newer versions of android fully support KB/Mouse functions, so perhaps in future releases you somehow make an option to enable "desktop" mode for cursor movement/key functions?

SKYY

OK--my OSK issue was resolved by changing the android system's default action for long-press-menu-key.  I wish I would have thought of this sooner.

For others with this issue, go to (android) System settings->System->Hardware keys->Menu key (long press), [No action]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk