[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

pixelincognito

I managed to get our game showing up in the list on my android tablet but get a number of errors (which is what we feared running the game from AGS 3.3.3.0). The first error window reads:
This game requires a newer version of AGS (3.3.3.0). It cannot be run.

Then a second follows it:

Invalid format. The file may be corrupt, or from a different version of AGS. This engine can only run games made with AGS 2.5 or later. I'm assuming the Gemini Rue and other new titles on play store and itunes use a later version of AGS on android and IOS? I'm just curious if there is anyway way we can get our game on these mobile devices or are we barking up the wrong tree?

Any help would be amazing because I'm so lost with this haha.
Mark

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: pixelincognito on Tue 07/07/2015 15:19:37
I managed to get our game showing up in the list on my android tablet but get a number of errors (which is what we feared running the game from AGS 3.3.3.0). The first error window reads:
This game requires a newer version of AGS (3.3.3.0). It cannot be run.

You get these errors because you are using outdated APK.
I saw your question asked on another forum section, where you mentioned you got an APK made back in 2012. It will only be able to run games made with AGS 3.2.1 and below.

The latest APK mentioned in this thread is 3.3.2: https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS-3.3.2.apk

I am not sure if there is even a person responsible for building up-to-date Android ports... anyway someone should build it from the source.

pixelincognito

Oh cool, well with that new apk we have it running on the tablet now and it looks beautiful. From there where do we go about packaging or compiling this into something we can distribute. I'm really sorry for all the questions and sounding like an idiot. I'm guessing this apk of AGS is really just an emulator and not something that turns games into android distributable.

Again...any support is really appreciated, so far you've been amazing.
Mark

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: pixelincognito on Tue 07/07/2015 15:59:32I'm guessing this apk of AGS is really just an emulator and not something that turns games into android distributable.

Not sure what you mean by "emulator", it's not an emulator, its a real engine. It does not run Windows exe in itself, it just reads the game data attached to Windows exe, and in all aspects similar to how Windows version works.
I guess the distributable you want is where all game files are in APK too. This is beyond my knowledge, I guess someone will answer in this thread later.

pixelincognito

That's cool, sorry for being a pest, I'm guessing the Wadjet Eye games are their own apk files that's all...maybe they aren't (I'm not sure, having not bought any myself) but I'm sure someone can shine a light our way :)

Cheers CW
Mark

Culzean

I'm currently attempting to build a standalone application using the AGS engine library. I have been able to build the library but cannot compile the AGS game Launcher, it's really getting to the point where I have no more hairs left to pull out. Is someone able to offer a few pointers?

The error I have encountered is the AGS Game Launcher in Eclipse cannot find AGS engine library.jar. However the ndk has not build this for me, so I don't understand why this is required. I am using NDK r9c I think. Any help with this would be a big help.

Thanks clz

Culzean

Oh good, I have actually managed to build a launcher that is working, which is nice. Though it is throwing an error when I attempt to run a trail game.

Problem: DIGMID patch set not found

Guess this means I have missed something from the build, need a bright idea what it might be.

Crimson Wizard

Culzean

Is there build settings are Android? I see the R.txt file seems to contain something along those lines but I'm not sure how to go about editing it.
For example how do I switch between a portrait and a landscape rendering for the game?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Culzean on Mon 13/07/2015 23:11:30
Is there build settings are Android? I see the R.txt file seems to contain something along those lines but I'm not sure how to go about editing it.
For example how do I switch between a portrait and a landscape rendering for the game?
I think there are number of settings in the Launcher. At least, the line "rotation" in "android.cfg" might server this purpose (it should be "rotation=0" or "rotation=1" I think).
Sorry, I did not really use that port myself. Hopefully someone who did will give more precise information.

pixelincognito

I'm struggling to get it to build correctly, again...I'm an utter noob at this but have Eclipse Juno, Android SDK and Android NDK installed and set up. I know my android NDK and eclipse are set up right as I emulated one of their sample projects correctly. When I import the GameList project I have a number of errors with the files in the 'src' and 'gen' directory which stops the project from building.

I spoke to a coder friend who has a lot of experience with working with cross-platform stuff and had said the game would need to be packed into an obb file being over 50mb. You would then need to write a good bit of Java to get the current version of the AGS Android engine to bypass the start-up game list menu screen, set various graphical options and screen orientation and unpack the game from the .obb. This all sounded great but didn't really get me any closer forward in my personal quest...

I'm guessing that the project actually works fine and I've just imported these files in incorrectly :( lol

Mark

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: pixelincognito on Fri 17/07/2015 08:51:57
I spoke to a coder friend who has a lot of experience with working with cross-platform stuff and had said the game would need to be packed into an obb file being over 50mb.
I remember monkey_05_06 was making a program which makes this OBB thing. Try to PM him.

Quote from: pixelincognito on Fri 17/07/2015 08:51:57
You would then need to write a good bit of Java to get the current version of the AGS Android engine to bypass the start-up game list menu screen, set various graphical options and screen orientation and unpack the game from the .obb.
There is already an Android Launcher for AGS in the same repository. I believe it should do all the user configuration stuff.
Here is an excerpt from the readme.md:
Quote from: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Android/README.md
Java app

There are two parts to the Java app, one is the engine library in /Android/library and the other one is the launcher app. The default launcher which displays a list of games from the SD-card is in /Android/launcher_list.

The easiest way to build the app is to create an Android project in Eclipse. Choose the "create from existing source" option and point Eclipse to the launcher directory.

pixelincognito

Ahh thanks for that Crimson, I've stripped out what I was doing and imported in the AGS Engine Library to see if I can build that and had a little more success, I just have two errors that go over my head a little.

From my google searches the first error is something to do with the compile order and the second is a bad directory destination, but neither make much sense to me.

Eclipse error

Mark.

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, it looks like Engine folder is not present.
I think you need to keep all the folders structure, as it is in the repository.
Well, you do not need all folders, but Android, Common and Engine for certain.

monkey0506

Quote from: pixelincognito on Fri 17/07/2015 08:51:57When I import the GameList project I have a number of errors with the files in the 'src' and 'gen' directory which stops the project from building.

Make sure that you are also importing the engine and marking it as a library for the GameList project -- they are two separate projects, the latter depending on the engine to build and run.

Quote from: pixelincognito on Fri 17/07/2015 08:51:57I spoke to a coder friend who has a lot of experience with working with cross-platform stuff and had said the game would need to be packed into an obb file being over 50mb. You would then need to write a good bit of Java to get the current version of the AGS Android engine to bypass the start-up game list menu screen, set various graphical options and screen orientation and unpack the game from the .obb.

Yes and no on this. To release on the Google Play store the APK itself cannot exceed 50 MB, which is when you would need to pack your game into an OBB file. The Android SDK has a tool for this, but the last time I was looking into this (quite some time ago, actually) the tool was badly bugged and could not pack more than 512 MB into a single OBB file (the particular formatting used in these OBB files should allow at least 2 GB). I wrote a simple fix for it, and I was able to publish standalone APKs with game data packaged in OBB files over the Play store, but none were ever released because there were game-stopping silent crashes in all tests conducted by anyone other than myself.

Regarding reading the OBB file, there's no need to "unpack" it, as it can be mounted as a read-only disk directly, and the engine can be set up quite simply to divert write operations to the appropriate data directory. It's really quite simple to set this part up. I had more difficulty trying to design a decent UI for the downloader in case the OBB file had been corrupted or deleted yet the APK still installed (the code was simple enough, I'm just not a visual design type of person).

I do also realize that I inadvertently changed some code that removed the on-screen menu from the engine, but I have not had time to look into this. This alongside the silent crash issue (reported by Himalaya Studios) were the major issues that prevented many titles being published on the Play store. After the summer I may have more time to look into this again, but right now I am sorely lacking in free time to spend on this.

Cassiebsg

Hey guys

Just wondering what happened to the keyboard toggle button...
Am using two different versions of the apk, one has it the other not. :(

AGS-3.3.2.apk does not seem to have that extra button to toggle the keyboard, but version AGS_2013-12-14_10-25_44.apk has it... Anyway to get that button on the newer apk?
Just wondering cause the keyboard is needed to some games.

PS - Thanks for developing this apk!! :)

PPS - If anyone know how to turn off auto correction spelling on android, please PM me, before I throw this against the wall!!!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

monkey0506

Cassie, this is what I was referring to in the last paragraph of my previous post. Probably looming through the history of the Android folder on Github will turn up what I removed, but I don't have time to investigate that right now.

HappyCat

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 24/07/2015 00:42:51
Just wondering cause the keyboard is needed to some games.
Personally I use Hacker's Keyboard since it can be set to place icon in notifications tray to bring it up in any app. Used it in Technobabylon.

Cassiebsg

Thanks, I'll check it out. :-D

And no worry monkey0506, when you have the time will be just fine... though, probably better put to use to make the app work with the newest AGS version (3.4?)...  ;)
But I am just glad to be able to play AGS games on my tablet. :-D
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Roy Lazarovich

Hi Guys.

I'm having problems getting MIDI music to work on my tablet.

I'm using version 3.3.2 of the android port
I'm running it on an ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T tablet running Android version 4.2.1 (Jelly Bean)
I've placed the MIDI patch file in the same folder as android.cfg and my game folders (/storage/emulated/0/AGS/) and named it patches.dat (file size 19MB)
I'm trying out all of the special edition Chzo Mythos games (5 days a stranger etc..) and am unable to get any MIDI music working (works on PC)

Did anyone else encounter this and have found a solution?

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk