[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

sonneveld

Quote from: Roy Lazarovich on Fri 25/09/2015 23:14:55
I've placed the MIDI patch file in the same folder as android.cfg and my game folders (/storage/emulated/0/AGS/) and named it patches.dat (file size 19MB)
I'm trying out all of the special edition Chzo Mythos games (5 days a stranger etc..) and am unable to get any MIDI music working (works on PC)

I'm seeing this exact same issue with both the Android and PSP builds.

This is the digmid file I downloaded from the recommended site (http://www.eglebbk.dds.nl/program/download/digmid.dat):
Code: ags
Name:    digmid.dat
Date:    2/10/2015
Size:    19 MB (19,971,986 bytes)
--------
SHA-1:    044fa525b26e7715e80cde24bce0b20e6a306ce4
MD5:      9dd5a6205cdf3af1abe80d1c92c4b857
CRC32:    43f0a36c

It _could_ be related to this commit https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/commit/9b40be2355036db85e113a62e8beb87c8afcdc90 but I suspect it was an issue before but now we get an error message.

Crimson Wizard

I do not see how that commit could be related. Roy Lazarovich sais that his version is 3.3.2, and the commit was added much later.
I am curious, though, why the error message was not displayed earlier. I will investigate this again.
E: Actually, originally error message was displayed only if both of the sound types were requested by player, i.e. BOTH digital sound and midi sound, and driver installation failed. Therefore the error was skipped if any of these two was not requested, regardless of whether there were errors during initialization.

BTW, what is this variable - "psp_midi_enabled":

if (!psp_midi_enabled)
         usetup.midicard = MIDI_NONE;

Is it enabled or disabled?

Also, can you run with log enabled? It may display what is going on in more detail.

Roy Lazarovich

Crimson Wizard, where can I locate the log file? after turning on debug messages, running the game and then exiting I can't locate any new file created in the AGS folder nor in the game folder, and I'm not sure where else on the SD card to look.

Thanks.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Roy Lazarovich on Sun 04/10/2015 15:44:31
Crimson Wizard, where can I locate the log file? after turning on debug messages, running the game and then exiting I can't locate any new file created in the AGS folder nor in the game folder, and I'm not sure where else on the SD card to look.

Thanks.

Log is turned on in config file

[misc]
log=1

I am not quite sure where the file should be located, but judging by the comments in code, it is "usually "/sdcard/ags".

However this would only be useful in current situation if you use the latest 3.3.5 build (WIP), which writes more detailed info about sound initialization.

E: I think these are latest experimental builds:
http://teamcity.bigbluecup.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=AdventureGameStudio_EngineAndroid
Click on "Artifacts" link to download the executables.

Roy Lazarovich

Sure, I'll give it a try
I set the debug messages from the global preferences interface but I'll try to do it from the config file

Roy Lazarovich

Ok so on the latest debug build I'm getting a dialog box stating "Unable to initialize your audio hardware. [Problem: DIGMID patch set not found]"

I have copies of the file stored in 3 different places named both as the original digmid.dat and as patches.dat

Still wasn't able to get any kind of log outputted

ManicMatt

I can't get it to find my game! Im using sony xperia M4 and i try the directory SD Card/AGS/ and various other ways and it doesnt find it. I had this running the game on my samsung.. Arghhh!

HappyCat

Quote from: ManicMatt on Mon 05/10/2015 19:51:29
I can't get it to find my game! Im using sony xperia M4 and i try the directory SD Card/AGS/ and various other ways and it doesnt find it. I had this running the game on my samsung.. Arghhh!
Do "SD Card/AGS/" even exists on Xpreia M4? I had one of newer Sony phones, if I remember correctly you might want to look for something like /emulated/0/AGS. Best bet would be to use app like ES Explorer to find game manually then insert the path into AGS engine app?

ManicMatt

In properties from "file commander" that browses files on my phone, the file is stated to be SD Card/AGS/Limbo but nothing! I don't know why it would be emulated?? But that didn't work anyway.

cstaite

I wanted to play Heroine's Quest on my phone.  I found someone had already made a stub for Steam, but it wasn't included in the APK.  So I set about compiling the APK myself and including the stub in.  It worked!

So two things:

1) If you want a copy of my build (which has the latest version of AGS as of today and the Steam Stub library included) it's available at http://chrisstaite.com/AGS.apk.  This is signed with a self-signed key and hence you will need to permit unknown sources to install it.

2) I can't figure out how to get the patches.dat to be accepted by my build.  The previous builds (from 2013) seem to not ask for them, perhaps they are built in?  It doesn't want to look for them in the "ags" directory.  I'll keep rummaging to see if I can get it to work.  But if anyone has any pointers I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks.

ET3D

Quote from: cstaite on Sun 08/11/2015 11:48:04
I wanted to play Heroine's Quest on my phone.  I found someone had already made a stub for Steam, but it wasn't included in the APK.  So I set about compiling the APK myself and including the stub in.  It worked!

Thanks! I've been wanting to play this game for a while, so I'm glad I happened to drop by today. (It's because I bought Resonance at GOG to play on my tablet.)

Dualnames

Is there a way to make the joystick plugin somehow to be disabled?(stub) when detected, indtead of me disabling it when compiled?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Cassiebsg

Hope to install it and test it soon. Maybe it'll fix the constant crashes I keep experiencing while playing "Th Visitor 3" on it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mehrdad

Quote from: monkey0506 on Tue 02/02/2016 22:28:57
Latest APK: https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS-3.4.0.6.apk

Great!!!. Nice job .Android is alive perfectly. I remember you said before that you have plan for add Android port like Linux for AGS . Is it in progress yet? If is not , what can I do for accept Google Play by your apk. Is any way or some tricks?
I'm appreciate for any help   
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

monkey0506

I plan to start working on a two-phase build process for standalone Android apps.

The simplest method for standalone apps is to use the mountObb function to mount an expansion file as a read-only file system. This allows games up to 2 GB without any modifications to the engine. Packing the game files into the APK would limit the game size to 100 MB at best (Google Play Store limit).

The editor could likely build an appropriate OBB file (opaque binary blob files can be literally anything; mountObb expects a FAT16 file system with the files stored appropriately in its file table), but building, signing, and aligning the APK are a bit beyond a realistic scope for now. However, I have had success in updating the Android project files to Android Studio, so a prefabricated AS project could be supplied. You would change a few lines in the string resource file and update the graphical assets, and then you could export your signed APK from AS, and upload the APK and the OBB file to the Google Play store. This two-phase building is actually rather simple, once the other steps are put in place. I'm finishing reimplementing some steps that I had done a few years back, but then the prefab AS project should be finished. At that point, a three-phase process would be available: 1) build the game data files with AGS 3.4.0, 2) build the Android expansion file using the jobbifier tool, and 3) build the APK using the Android Studio project.

I intend to publish the Android Studio project files once I have finished implementing the downloader interface for ensuring the expansion file exists.

Mehrdad

Wow. It's really great news ;-D
It seems every things is ready for fire. Both two your method is perfect . apk + OBB is so professional package for Google Play.
AGS with Android port is best business game making for all. Please don't leave this place.I'm sure there is ready many developers for your port even with pay too.also me.
When did you expect for stick it to AGS 3.4 ? Is any hope for this month?
If it takes too long if you don't mind please lead me step by step for make this package(APK+OBB) as dummies with keystore . Unfortunately I'm not good programmer special for Java and can't any help to you.
My official site: http://www.pershaland.com/

Stromvin

Hi there, just wanted to say that i find this pretty awesome. Havin the possibility to get my game on a tablet or Smartphone is pretty cool. And i did realize that for some games it indeed might be the market of the future since almost everyone has such a device.
So keep up the good work, and have a mighty Thank you to all people involved in this ;)
Greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

monkey0506

Quote from: Mehrdad on Wed 03/02/2016 12:26:56If it takes too long if you don't mind please lead me step by step for make this package(APK+OBB) as dummies with keystore . Unfortunately I'm not good programmer special for Java and can't any help to you.

Android Studio actually integrated a keystore tool, so there's a very simple GUI for that when you select "Generate signed APK". I'll post full details later.

Edit: I was able to implement the downloader interface and get it working with this. Turns out that the "library" project that Google supplies is kind of out-of-date! Also, it probably turns out that a lot of my work figuring out how to get these gradle build scripts working with the "experimental" plugin was unnecessary, as I've realized that since I'm invoking the NDK manually, it doesn't really matter about the built-in NDK support! (sorry, implementation details)

The last thing I need to get working is a prompt for downloading the expansion file over cellular (regarding data charges, seems a good idea to prompt the player instead of assuming). Then I can release the source code for this app and design it into a template for general use.

....aaaaand, I got called into work. So.... soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk