[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: SimSaw on Fri 30/09/2016 21:31:43
Thanks for compiling them. Unfortunately both of them are not working with translations.
By "both", which two of the three options I suggested you mean? :)

Quote from: SimSaw on Fri 30/09/2016 21:31:43
Maybe this is a builder configuration issue? I have a version 3.4.0.6 from another page in this thread which works with translations.
Knowing that it worked in 3.4.0.6 is useful. As for the reasons, that could be something in the program code that causes this, it is hard to say right away.

SimSaw

Sorry, I missed master. I mean that I tested the build server's release-3.3.5 and release-3.4.0. Since I had already checked master of which I know it does not work I skipped it. So translations do not work in all three versions.

guga2112

Hi there,
I beg your pardon in advance if my question is stupid, it probably is (I surely missed something that will make me die of shame when you tell me) but I'm trying since days to solve this and I thought you all might know better than me how to proceed.

I downloaded the sources (of both ags and lib-allegro) and followed literally the instructions in order to compile the engine with ndk. However, ndk-build tells me that allegro.h can't be found (included by wgt2allg.h in Common/util).

Should I need to set up some kind of include path? How should the whole setup look? Should I be working under Linux or is Windows also OK?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Cheers,
Guga

guga2112

Hi everyone,
I managed to compile everything under linux.

I seem to have problems with the mouse cursor, it remains on the left screen edge no matter what I do with my fingers.

Another question is: is there a way to set how textures are scaled? My game is a low-res one and I'd like to have everything with nearest neighbor scaling to preserve the pixely aspect, but everything is blurred and anti-aliased.

Crimson Wizard

Unfortunately I cannot give any advices about building the port, because I never done that myself.

Quote from: guga2112 on Sun 30/10/2016 13:24:51
Another question is: is there a way to set how textures are scaled? My game is a low-res one and I'd like to have everything with nearest neighbor scaling to preserve the pixely aspect, but everything is blurred and anti-aliased.
You may look into config file (acsetup.cfg), the available options for latest version are listed here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/OPTIONS.md
Also, I thought there is a Launcher app for Android that uses its own config, that may have, for example, options related to touchscreen.

cat

Hi!

Quote from: guga2112 on Sun 30/10/2016 13:24:51
I seem to have problems with the mouse cursor, it remains on the left screen edge no matter what I do with my fingers.

I have the same problems, using the nightly master build from here: http://teamcity.bigbluecup.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=AdventureGameStudio_EngineAndroid. I also copied the patches.dat.

I can start the game (3.4.0.6) but I have a serious problem with the cursor:
I can move the cursor only up and down alongside the left screen edge but not in the middle of the screen.

Additionally, the audio is not very smooth and jumps a bit, but the cursor issue is most serious one, of course.

Any ideas?

cat

Quote from: monkey0506 on Tue 02/02/2016 22:28:57
Latest APK: https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS-3.4.0.6.apk

I tried this version and now the mouse is working! My phone is rather old, so the particle effects are slooooow but still, they are working.

However, now the music problems are really noticable. Even if I don't click anything, the music stutters terribly.
Are there any settings I can change?

I would like to show the game at AdventureX - of course to showcase my game, but also to show AGS' abilities...

cat

An update on the audio issue: it seems to be related to the mp3 itself.
Originally, it was an mp3 with 256kbps. I converted it to wav and then to ogg using oggrop with 128kbps and now it is working. Mp3 with lower bitrate also seem to be working.
I hope I find a way to easily batch-convert all audio files of the game...

Now I just need to get that credits module to work...

Edit: Audacity (Freeware!) can do batch processing of audio files.

Edit2: Sometimes the music is still stuttering, especially when changing rooms but also sometimes when walking or doing other interactions, but I can live with it for now.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 09/11/2016 20:07:48
Now I just need to get that credits module to work...
What's wrong with credits module on Android?

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 10/11/2016 08:47:25
What's wrong with credits module on Android?
Not sure, they just won't show. However, this is not my highest priority.

The most important issue is about the various engine apk floating around the net in questionable conditions. I tried different versions:

• The one linked from the official github page is seriously outdated and can't run any 3.4.0 games (I created a bug ticket for that).

• The latest version from http://teamcity.bigbluecup.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=AdventureGameStudio_EngineAndroid seems to have serious issues with the mouse cursor, that makes it unplayable.

• I found a link to monkey's bitbucket repo (https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS-3.4.0.6.apk). With the build available in the downloads section (AGS-3.4.0.6.apk from 2016-02-02), I get the game to work, but with some audio issue: I have problems with music/sounds stuttering. As posted in the forums thread, I was able to reduce the problem by using ogg with lower bitrate. However, the problem still exists to a certain extent.

What is the best version to use at the moment? The forum thread is also very confusing and the first post seriously outdated...

AnasAbdin

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/11/2016 09:31:35
What is the best version to use at the moment? The forum thread is also very confusing and the first post seriously outdated...

This.
I spent hours deciphering the thread until I managed to get Tardigrades work on a Samsung Galaxy Tab E with midi enabled. Still couldn't do that on the SD Card.

Spoiler
[close]

cat

What version did you use in the end?

Crimson Wizard

The latest version from http://teamcity.bigbluecup.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=AdventureGameStudio_EngineAndroid seems to have serious issues with the mouse cursor, that makes it unplayable.

We need to bring current version from build server to playable state again. There were certain changes to how mouse works in 3.3.5/latest 3.4.0, which could have affected mobile ports. Sadly, these ports are not actively tested, nor there is an all-time-active dedicated port maintainer, so issues like this could be left unnoticed and unhandled for a long period of time.

I suggest not being shy and post all the troubles you find in latest port version on the bug tracker :).

I was planning to study Android port for a while, hopefully I will be able to find time to do so in the nearby future.

AnasAbdin

Quote from: cat on Thu 10/11/2016 09:42:37
What version did you use in the end?

AGS-3.4.0.6.apk

then got DIGMID.dat, unpacked it with 7zip, renamed the extracted file to patches.dat and moved it to the game's folder.

The game works, the sound in the cut-scenes is is not perfect though :-\ It might be due to the capabilities of the device (Samsung Galaxy Tab E)

cat

Quote from: AnasAbdin on Thu 10/11/2016 09:56:48
AGS-3.4.0.6.apk
Which one? The one from the bitbucket downloads?

Does you game have midi audio only or do you also use mp3? If mp3, what bitrate?

AnasAbdin

This is the one I got:

I found a link to monkey's bitbucket repo (https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS-3.4.0.6.apk).

The game uses midi for music background and mp3 for sound effects at 128kbps.

Edit: not sure how to get a keyboard so I can name the save games (I can make an in-game gui.. hmmm (nod) )

Cassiebsg

Think it's problem with that version, the previous version had a button to get the keyboard up.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 12/11/2016 13:36:37
Think it's problem with that version, the previous version had a button to get the keyboard up.

Which one?
Do you have a link?

Crimson Wizard

I am too curious to know if something from past versions does not work anymore, because as I mentioned, without dedicated port maintainer nor explicit testing/fixing process, it is very difficult to track issues with ports.

I really suggest to open an issue in the bug tracker and post a list of everything that does not work / work worse compared to previous versions.

Cassiebsg

@AnasAbdin, they are both posted on the same thread... but I'll turn on my tablet and check the version for you.

EDIT: Ermmm.... sorry, but turning on my tablet didn't help. No where can I find the version, and the credits just doesn't show anything at all (blank screen).

EDIT 2: Okay, checking my downloads folder shows I have these two:
AGS_2014-4-30 and AGS_2013-10-24_16-22-13.apk

EDIT 3: And here's the link where I reported the lack of keyboard: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44768.msg636517670#msg636517670
Read the next few replies too.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk