[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike2000

I installed it from this thread: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=56887.0

I'm guessing that's the most up to date version of the app?

flamming_python

Hi everyone  :)

Does the Android AGS port have support for intents? So that you can launch games running on it from a frontend such as Hyperspin?

If not then are there any plans to add such?
I know a lot of people would appreciate such a functionality.

vrokolos

Unavowed doesn't work for me. Tried both steam and gog versions. It stops at startup with a message about achievements. Is there a workaround to this? Using latest 3.4 version

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: vrokolos on Tue 16/04/2019 08:43:31
Unavowed doesn't work for me. Tried both steam and gog versions. It stops at startup with a message about achievements. Is there a workaround to this? Using latest 3.4 version

Please, in cases like this include actual error message. But I will make a guess it is "script link error" because Android port does not include steam/gog plugin.

If that's the case, then perhaps first solution is to build and include steam/gog stub plugin into APK along with others.
In the past Monkey0506 also suggested embedding plugin placeholders for steam/gog client into the engine, but I did not realize why it may be necessary at first.

These are two ways, I believe either may be tried. I'd try building separate plugin stub and including into APK first, because that does involve modifying engine code. If that won't work for some reason, then try another one.

PS. That said, I have to make a formal warning that running the game on its own does not guarantee it will be playable on touch-screen device. If it's not then probably waiting for Wadjet Eye to produce a mobile version of their game would be better (idk if they are planning).

PPS. We are currently trying to work this problem out.

vrokolos

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 16/04/2019 11:49:11

Awesome!!!

Another feature request.  Kathy rain on play store has a function that shows all available interactive hotspots on the scene when you longtouch which is very handy on android. Can we have something like this in the options for every game?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: vrokolos on Tue 16/04/2019 20:37:39
Another feature request.  Kathy rain on play store has a function that shows all available interactive hotspots on the scene when you longtouch which is very handy on android. Can we have something like this in the options for every game?

I believe that may be theoretically possible to do, but this is something that has to be devised and coded from scratch. In existing games this is done with scripting, which we cannot replicate in the engine as-is.

Jinx1337

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 16/04/2019 11:49:11
Quote from: vrokolos on Tue 16/04/2019 08:43:31

Please, in cases like this include actual error message. But I will make a guess it is "script link error" because Android port does not include steam/gog plugin.

If that's the case, then perhaps first solution is to build and include steam/gog stub plugin into APK along with others.
In the past Monkey0506 also suggested embedding plugin placeholders for steam/gog client into the engine, but I did not realize why it may be necessary at first.

These are two ways, I believe either may be tried. I'd try building separate plugin stub and including into APK first, because that does involve modifying engine code. If that won't work for some reason, then try another one.

PS. That said, I have to make a formal warning that running the game on its own does not guarantee it will be playable on touch-screen device. If it's not then probably waiting for Wadjet Eye to produce a mobile version of their game would be better (idk if they are planning).

Hi!

How is 'working that out' going along?
Which one is the newest version for android?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jinx1337 on Fri 28/06/2019 12:16:24

It's done in code, but I forgot to upload new APK.

Jinx1337

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 28/06/2019 15:12:08
Quote from: Jinx1337 on Fri 28/06/2019 12:16:24

It's done in code, but I forgot to upload new APK.

Can I kindly ask you to upload it? :)
There's plenty more games we could take on the run, but are unable to run because of this bug (Unovowed, last version of Heroine's Quest, Mage's Initiation).

Jinx1337

Also - anyone got problems with TECHNOBABYLON randomly crashing? :(

I am using the GOG version on a SNAPDRAGON 855 device (Samsung S10+) so should be more than enough.

Crimson Wizard

Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pem2q8fdyojks4h/ags-3.4.4.apk?dl=0

But I haven't tested myself yet.

There will be a 3.4.4 update, primarily for non-Windows (linux & android ports).

I am hoping for automatic building in the future so that I don't have to do this by hand every time.

Jinx1337

Thank you!

All the games start now!
That said, I am having some issues with some of them.

1) As mentioned previously in this thread, only software mode actually renders any graphics. Hardware mode equals a black screen.
2) Technobabylon / Unawoved randomly crashing without an error. Seems completely random too (some sort of cache/buffer overflow?). Other than that, they're running perfectly without any hitches. What might be the issue?
3) Would it be possible to add a RELATIVE MOUSE sensitivity setting? I only play games with relative mouse, to the point of actually choosing running games through AGS rather than their native android ports (I hate point and click on a the phone).

Thanks for your great work.

Jinx1337

Small update:

tried messing with cache settings, disabled multithreading, checked the empty cache on room change in ini - same thing. Completely random app exits. Sometimes it works for 25 min, other times it quits in 5.

Tried Quest for Glory 2 VGA - doesnt have this issue and is completely playable using Hackers Keyboard set to transparent and with FN pressed for NUMPAD (tho the keys are mismatched - you need to map them to numerics manually in the game options).

Crimson Wizard

We have an issue tracker here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues

Please post your problems there, because in this thread they will likely be missed and forgotten. Also there's no active Android port maintainer at the moment, so it may take time before these will be actually adressed.

Jinx1337

Done (I can't however add proper labels?).

It's sad that there's no active maintainer :(
I have been using AGS since the PSP port... would love to see it get some Android love.

Jinx1337

CrimsonWizard - I have been testing various AGS games on ANDROID now, and I have a little request (it that ain't too much to ask for).

Could you be so kind and compile the last version of AGS known for having HARDWARE mode working, with the steam/gog achievments stubb plugin fix that youv'e made for the recent version?

I want to see if the crashes are somehow tied to SOFTWARE mode, since I am also getting them with other games (such as the KQ remakes), also completely random.
I do not think I am observing these with the previous version, but I need the achievment fix to see some more demanding games (Unawoved etc.).

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jinx1337 on Wed 10/07/2019 02:09:21
Could you be so kind and compile the last version of AGS known for having HARDWARE mode working, with the steam/gog achievments stubb plugin fix that youv'e made for the recent version?

This is an APK for latest 3.5.0 beta: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5qcscn803j5kyk/AGS-3.5.0.14.apk?dl=0

It probably has same issues with hardware mode though: works on some devices and does not work on others.

cat

I want to make a game and run it on a tablet or phone as well as PC. I don't need to bundle it for play store, just launch AGS on the phone and then select the game there.
Which version of AGS and the Android engine should I use? i.e., which is currently the best/most stable combination?
Should I go with 3.5.0.14 for both?

And what is the recommended resolution for a mobile device?

eri0o

Are you doing this for a museum or interactive exposition?

For non Google Play Android, the latest is fine. For now, it's best to disable threaded audio.

Resolution depends of style. Do you mean aspect ratio?

cat

I'm doing this for my toddler ;)

The game is probably going to be high-res, so yes, what aspect ratio is recommended for phones?

And where do I get the latest AGS apk? Is it the one CW linked a few posts above?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk