[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

Hey cat! That's cool! If you want to try with the apk, you just get it on your phone and place the game there. Probably what CW linked there works fine.

For your case I think you should go with the phone you have. I have dipped my toes in two vertical games and made them 180x320. They are linked in my signature.

Some recent phones are coming with even more elongated screens - my phone 18.5:9. But I still think 16:9 is fine.

If you want to build your own .apk, I have released every Android Studio project I used on GitHub. I couldn't figure out how to write well the README though, so everyone who tried did hit a rock at some point and messaged me, so any hit just write me up or hit an issue button on GitHub.

cat

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 10/07/2019 15:02:58
This is an APK for latest 3.5.0 beta: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t5qcscn803j5kyk/AGS-3.5.0.14.apk?dl=0

It probably has same issues with hardware mode though: works on some devices and does not work on others.
I downloaded the package and installed it on my phone. I was able to start it and play a 3.5.0.14 built game, but weirdly, the app does not show up in my app-list (the one you get when swiping up on home screen, yalp store shows it, I don't have or use the Google store). Is there a setting or something to make an app show there?

@eri0o: My partner suggested to use 1280x720 because this will work on most phones (going for hi-res). I'll use that for now.

Jinx1337

AGs for Android still crashing... :(
Was there any new SVN version I might check and see whether these issues have been improved? :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jinx1337 on Thu 12/09/2019 22:59:44
Was there any new SVN version I might check and see whether these issues have been improved? :(

Not sure what you refer to as "svn version", but there were no updates specific to Android code recently.

We do not have any developer who would know how to work with android well enough afaik.
Personally I am currently focused on releasing AGS 3.5.0 generally on Windows/Linux.

As soon as I get a spare time I may build a new APK, but cannot say if it's going to be any better.

HappyCat

"- Plugin support including AGSBlend and open-source recreations of the Snow/Rain and Flashlight plugin"
How do I use specific plugins with Android port? Should I plut them into specific directory?

eri0o

Plugins are built with native code, the supported ones are already placed along with the AGS Engine in the Android port.

HappyCat

Thanks. Am I correct that in order to make stub for Steam or AGS2Client I would have to make it manually in Android branch? That would help me with some commercial releases, let's see if I can find some time for it on holiday season.

eri0o

If you manage to build ags for Android native libraries you can check how it builds the plug-ins currently. There's a new Android project in the works that will enable doing it directly from Android Studio (cmake + gradle), but I can't say when it will be ready.

Alternatively you can ask the guys from Clifftop Games since they have a working jni plug-in for actual achievements under Google Play - I have never seen the code though, only played their games from Google Play.

HappyCat

Thanks for the tips. Seems like a lot to dig through.

Jinx1337

Has there been any new development or build for android in the recent year?

It is such a shame that the version currently available is perfect, aside from random crashing...

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jinx1337 on Tue 18/08/2020 20:45:19
Has there been any new development or build for android in the recent year?

Android build is present in all the recent releases, e.g. here: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58350.0
also available at our github releases: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/releases/tag/v.3.5.0.26

There's unsigned Launcher APK for running any games, and libraries for building your own game APK.

Quote from: Jinx1337 on Tue 18/08/2020 20:45:19
It is such a shame that the version currently available is perfect, aside from random crashing...

There were reports about crashes in the past, but not enough information to do diagnose the problem, and we do not have a dedicated developer who would know how to get such information.

Olleh19

Dumb question, do you need a SD card, or can you reset the directory? i have tried, but i've failed "main storage" "internal storage" etc, hope you understand my question.
I have a samsung galaxy s7 if anybody knows the correct path /if it works, then please let me know.

I could save a couple of bucks not buying a SD card then! (laugh)

eri0o

I think Android uses the word SDCARD to define it's internal memory that you have write access

1. If you are using the Launcher that is released along with ags, the folder it looks into is configurable in it. You should access the menu on top right (three vertical dots), then click in Select Game Folder and type the folder. The address you need to type here is unfortunately manufactures dependent, so I will show what's the folder I configured in my phone.

Spoiler
[close]

2. A modal dialog should pop up and you can type the folder name. Mine is /storage/emulated/0/ags .

Spoiler
[close]

3. Make sure this folder does exist in your phone, use your favorite file explorer (I am using the default one from Samsung).

In my phone, using the file explorer, the same folder is named differently, Internal Storage > ags

Spoiler
[close]

4. In this folder, you just create one folder for each game with their .exe or .ags games and all their needed .vox or other files in this same directory.

Spoiler
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 07/10/2020 03:33:12
I think Android uses the word SDCARD to define it's internal memory that you have write access

1. If you are using the Launcher that is released along with ags, the folder it looks into is configurable in it. You should access the menu on top right (three vertical dots), then click in Select Game Folder and type the folder. The address you need to type here is unfortunately manufactures dependent, so I will show what's the folder I configured in my phone.

Spoiler
[close]

2. A modal dialog should pop up and you can type the folder name. Mine is /storage/emulated/0/ags .

Spoiler
[close]

3. Make sure this folder does exist in your phone, use your favorite file explorer (I am using the default one from Samsung).

In my phone, using the file explorer, the same folder is named differently, Internal Storage > ags

Spoiler
[close]

4. In this folder, you just create one folder for each game with their .exe or .ags games and all their needed .vox or other files in this same directory.

Spoiler
[close]

Unfortunaly this is not enough Eri0o. Now i get a "Unable to find game data". At least i'm one step closer! I've renamed the exe, is it still the way to go or should the game exe work just fine as it is?
Like the internet joke goes "instructions unclear" and then some silly line  (laugh)

Files look like this in my game folder in the ags folder.

Ags/max/

ac2game.dat, OR max.exe (neither have worked, so far).

acsetup.cfg           (tried deleting it, didn't change a thing),

audio.vox,

winsetup.exe

Swedish.tra

Edit: Turns out i've managed to change from Internal Storage to SDCard now, but still no success. The games show up, but data error. Same outcome.

Edit2: Shit, i just realised i'm transfering the files via windows/usb cable maybe that fucks it up. I have to try dropbox or online service. !

Edit3: Edit2, no difference. :(

Edit4: Added game.ags, no difference

Maybe i am missing something..I have installed the Ags apk that gives me the bluecup icon, i enter in that app...and now i've fixed the directory, so the games show up, and now data error shows up. That's all i've done so far.

I think i must be missing something obvious

eri0o

Not sure if the case, but make sure that read and write access is given in App Permissions

Spoiler
[close]

Olleh19

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 07/10/2020 17:52:37
Not sure if the case, but make sure that read and write access is given in App Permissions

Spoiler
[close]

Yes, that is clicked on yes.

Olleh19

Maybe it's important to say. Samsung Galaxy S7, i am going to bring up my old S6 see if i get it running there. As if s7 isn't old, but yeah you understand what i mean.........

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Olleh19 on Wed 07/10/2020 16:54:50
Maybe i am missing something..I have installed the Ags apk that gives me the bluecup icon, i enter in that app...and now i've fixed the directory, so the games show up, and now data error shows up. That's all i've done so far.

I'd like to clarify: you see the game selection in the app launcher, but when you try to start any game, there's error, is this correct? Could you tell what exactly error is again?

Olleh19

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Wed 07/10/2020 18:14:46
Quote from: Olleh19 on Wed 07/10/2020 16:54:50

I'd like to clarify: you see the game selection in the app launcher, but when you try to start any game, there's error, is this correct? Could you tell what exactly error is again?

Edit: I've used AGS 3.5.0 for the game, if that is an issue and it does not work, i am sorry. I haven't read 46 pages!

OK, I OPEN AGS launcher, i see "windows" THEN i click windows and now i get  Error: "ERROR: Unable to find game data files

IN WINDOWS the files are as following:

Acsetup.cfg

audio.vox

game.agf

max fury.exe

swedish.tra

winsetup.exe

I am loading my S6 phone so i will get back with you, if it is just the phone that has issue. If so i'll let you aware of it's exact model. Since it may be some setting inside the OS of the phone. I do NOT have a custom OS. However i do believe the previous owner have played with custom OS. If that matters, i do not know. But i've updated and downloaded the original OS for the phone model.

Crimson Wizard

game.agf - this is your game project file for the AGS editor, you do not need to distribute it.

This whole thread is a great mess, and should be locked and new one created with up to date information. I could perhaps do this after I deal with current issues.

I dont think this has anything to do with device model, it's probably that Launcher program has some inconveniencies.
I keep forgetting what the game file should be named to make this work, I must test this with emulator first.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk