[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinx1337

[offtopic][/offtopic]I understand :(

Its too bad, as your port is pretty much perfect for me, the only thing holding it back is the mouse click issue.

The official one still crashes on every version.
Thank you for your work, anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Eri0o, your port was merged to SDL2 branch. I was literally going to do this on last Sunday anyway, only awaiting one more day to see if you reply something, because I thought you were still working on "BACK" button problem.

I am sorry if I were annoying you. I clearly made a mistake with the last comment where suggested another change. I thought about deleting it too for a while after writing but kept doubting.
I used to discuss things with people freely if something was bothering me, because wanted to make my doubts clear to others and hear other peoples' opinion; used to review and discuss alternatives before making final decision. That seemed like a normal thing to do in the past. But I guess it's frustrating for some. So maybe I should reduce doing this.

From discussion in your PR it seems that the main difference that we had is caused by a principle in our project: one change (PR) at a time. That helps to keep backup states of a program, both in case something does not work, and in case something breaks old compatibility, so that there's an actual "stage" you can use as a test, or give to a particular user in case of emergency. Unfortunately, you put everything in one PR: OpenGL renderer update, new studio projects, and so on. This was very unexpected to me. Unfortunately I was not able to discuss this with you before the PR happened.

Quote from: eri0o on Tue 23/03/2021 12:03:13
People here have too much differences from how I think things should be done (coding wise) and it's too draining for me to try to accommodate that

It's clear that we have got a communication problem. Maybe we have a misunderstanding. It may as well be that I am doing something wrong. For many years I too had to accommodate for numerous people who expected opposite things from me and the project and that may have affected the ways of doing things.

Could you please tell what differences "coding wise" do you mean?

eri0o

CW,

My basic grip with AGS codebase is the Windows port, it has no defined way of dealing with dependencies. So if you add a dependency on the project on other codebases, if it's Linux you get it from the package manager, with MacOS/iOS, you get it from Brew, or from Apple themselves, Android, it's a POM or Java package, and alternatively when using CMake you can fetch from anywhere.

I will always prefer pulling a library that does what I need, and then throwing away when I don't need more. It's part of the idea of using a Game Engine in the first place, leverage the work of others so I can progress faster.

I am not adding a copy of a library in the codebase (that is tried and tested and performs great) because I want a copy of that code. I am doing so because my hands are tied because there's no defined process for Windows. And I keep getting criticisms for doing so while I am getting nowhere when asking how to solve the problem on Windows - I mentioned a possible solution with an AGS Dependencies repository, other possibilities for Windows are Nuget packages (for project solutions) and alternatively I am sure there are other ways, unfortunately I am not experienced in Windows development.

Other problem is even though for me the way AGS is developed on Windows is not good, YOU ARE very productive in it. So I don't really want to disturb the way you do things.

But this creates an environment that makes me uneasy, when you are NOT adding libraries on the codebase, it makes switching things much easier - say, let's try a different library for font rendering because now I need utf8 support.

Anyway, any code I produced is free to get, it's there on GitHub for this exact purpose. But this approach of building everything from scratch makes things too hard for me. During this month I have been working on my MAGS game and I noticed I was much happier... So well, I think I want to finish my game now - the bigger one, not only MAGS.

But this is mostly it. And yes, we have a communication problem, and look, I know I have a communication problem. But I don't know how to address it, the conversations on GH made me so anxious that I turned off all my notifications and on the past year I got rid of my most my instant messaging too. In the end, I don't think I am cut for doing FOSS and think I should just do games for a while until I feel better.

Edit: I recently read a book called Working in Public: The Making and Maintenance of Open Source Software and there it mentions that most Open Source codebases work in a scenarium type, where a central dev does all the work and talks about the toll of working with others. Like, the cost of attention and stuff like that. It was an interesting read. Anyway, I just think personally, for me, it's best to stay away for a while and work on releasing games.

tservo

Hi I have not found any info in the whole android thread if the android version has a middle mouse click gesture or a key that emulates the middle mouse function. Thanks

Crimson Wizard

A very curious find by one of the ScummVM developers, there's a bug in Allegro 4 that may cause crashes in some of our ports such as Android, Mac and some others. It happens only in 8-bit games and related to setting palette range.
Hard to say, but maybe it was one of the causes for crashes in Android port. I never looked closer into this so don't know in which games it happened, but if these were 256-color games then it could be the reason.
It does not happen in upcoming SDL2 version, because relevant part of Allegro code was removed.

Quote from: tservo on Fri 26/03/2021 11:40:02
Hi I have not found any info in the whole android thread if the android version has a middle mouse click gesture or a key that emulates the middle mouse function. Thanks

Sorry, I don't know and forgot to check, but it's quite possible that we don't have it at the moment. Also middle button is not necessarily present on PC mouses too, so ideally game authors should provide alternate controls.

Potajito

I was toying around with the latest (as in v.3.6.0.3 - Alpha 4) and the android player is working like a charm. Sound/speech is great so far. My only gripe so far is that I haven't been able to right click, no matter how I try to position the fingers. Reading some comments, it should work tapping with one finger the hotspot and then pressing with another in any any part of the screen, but it doesn't seem like it. Any help on that? Also, would it be possible to right click on long tap? Somehow it feels more intuitive?
Thanks!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Potajito on Tue 18/05/2021 22:53:42
I was toying around with the latest (as in v.3.6.0.3 - Alpha 4) and the android player is working like a charm. Sound/speech is great so far. My only gripe so far is that I haven't been able to right click, no matter how I try to position the fingers. Reading some comments, it should work tapping with one finger the hotspot and then pressing with another in any any part of the screen, but it doesn't seem like it. Any help on that? Also, would it be possible to right click on long tap? Somehow it feels more intuitive?

Were you able to perform a "right click" in previous versions (3.5.0, 3.5.1)? Both java program and engine backend have changed so it will be interesting to compare.

Regarding the controls setup, there have been few suggestions to change them in the past (they are scattered somewhere on forums or in our issue tracker). I think first of all it would be good to gather these in a proper ticket, and secondly, it may be possible to create a config that sets these up for the emulator.

Amir

Hi, when I run my game I get 2 errors:

1-Warning: cannot enable MIDI audio. Problem: no compatible drives found in the system.
You may supress this message by disabling MIDI sound in the game setup.

2- Unable to write in the savegame directory. Make sure you have write permissions, and also check the disk's free space.

I disabled MIDI sound in the game setup but Im still getting the error from MIDI sound  :undecided:

which write permissions? and yes I have free space enough  :confused:

Does anyone know these errors and can help?
Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Crimson Wizard

@Amir, please clarify which version of the android port you are using.

Quote from: Amir on Mon 28/06/2021 09:28:20
I disabled MIDI sound in the game setup but Im still getting the error from MIDI sound  :undecided:

To double check, you need to set "midiid = none" or "0" in acsetup.cfg in the game folder.

Where on the device did you put the game itself?

Amir

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 28/06/2021 13:03:14
@Amir, please clarify which version of the android port you are using.

To double check, you need to set "midiid = none" or "0" in acsetup.cfg in the game folder.

Where on the device did you put the game itself?

Oh I didn't know that, MIDI sound is now completely deactivate, no more error, thank u.

I'm using the latest version 3.5.1.8

I put it on my SD card, storage/extSdCard/ags . As JJS wrote the instructions "Games must be placed on the SD card root in the "ags" directory" 
I have 5 GB free space on my SD Card.

Should I put it on storage/emulated/0/ ? I have to delete some apps or games there, I have 723 MB free space.

Truly, truly, I say to you, blessed are those who play adventure games, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Crimson Wizard

I honestly don't know. The instructions are old, some things could've changed since. I heard that newer devices have some additional rules about writing permissions, but lack knowledge about that.

When I tested android port on my device, I put the games in "Downloads", because did not know any better.

Maybe someone else will be able to provide more information.

eri0o

@Amir, which Android device you have?

The port is not compatible with Android 11 and 12 (storage changed). Additionally, some devices+os use a different naming system for the directories. Unfortunately the way it's structured requires knowing the absolute path of where things are on your device.

Are you familiar with Android and the Share interaction? I have a code that uses that instead (use your android file navigator and just hit share and then select AGS). I thought it was the proper Android way to handle but when I showed to some people in the forums they didn't understand it, so I never pushed forward. The advantage is this way is also compatible with Android 11 and 12.

Amir

I have Galaxy Tab A (2016) Android version 5.1.1, not 11 or 12  ;-D

Unfortunately I have no idea about Android and the share interaction, I will not understand it like the other people. Anyway thank u for ur offer. I will try to put the game on the internal storage, maybe that's the solution, if that doesn't work I'll try older versions of android port. I will let you know.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Amir on Mon 28/06/2021 16:58:31

I also have 5. something, and the latest 3.5.* ports work there (as well as the new 3.6.0 one which is currently in development stage). I don't have external card though so was using internal storage.

Amir

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 28/06/2021 17:09:13
Quote from: Amir on Mon 24/02/1975 15:59:51quote author=Crimson Wizard link=topic=44768.msg636637433#msg636637433 date=1624896553]
Quote from: Amir on Mon 28/06/2021 16:58:31

I also have 5. something, and the latest 3.5.* ports work there (as well as the new 3.6.0 one which is currently in development stage). I don't have external card though so was using internal storage.

[/quote]

Ahaaa so it must be because of SD card. Ok I'm going to delete a few things there and put the game there. Thank u.

Amir

It works now. It's weird that it doesn't work from the SD card. Well, the main point it works. Thank u guys.

Crimson Wizard

I unstickied and locked this old thread, because it was started many years ago and contains alot of obsolete information.

The new one is opened here: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59751.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk