[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

davros

Hi there

how exciting for starters! looking forward to playing QFG2 in particular. its a fantastic initiative and being able to play on phone when rocking a baby to sleep at 3am is a big bonus!

wondering if anyone has experienced the following issue (I've searched but didn't find any reference)

My soft menu button has disappeared - it was there before (was using for file save naming) but all of a sudden doesn't show up when in either KQ1 or KQ2... can't see any settings to modify this either?

Im running JB on a galaxy nexus, and the download from daily/refactory 2012*11*01

Ive tried uninstall/reinstall and phone restart but no effect. very strange

any help greatly appreciated

also, i saw earlier question re soft keyboard input for number pad - (relevant to fighting in QFG2) - has anyone found an elegant solution to this? as I take it you can't use 'on screen' (mouseclick) controls for battle in that game

cheers!

JJS

I had changed the target SDK version to 4.1. That way it shows the default system styles for the menus, before it was always in 2.x style. Probably this change has removed that icon. But the onscreen keyboard should pop up if you longpress the "menu" (hardware) button. I must admit that I am not sure how that "soft menu" button worked before.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

davros

thanks for the quick reply!

on a galaxy nexus, as some others, there isn't a hard menu (or anything) button - so I used the soft menu button to generate the keyboard.

it sounds then like under this update there isn't a way to access type for any android device lacking hard buttons? unintended consequence?

from what I gather (not that Im a developer) there is a move away from the menu button into the 'action bar overflow' as is presented in the launching space for the AGS app. this works fine in that environment but within the game iteself one relies on the 'soft' menu, home, back etc buttons...

dont know the most elegant way to address this? if you are moving permanently away from the option, could you please point me to a stable older build that works? I was trying a recent daily but it had errors with recovering saved games

probably also worth noting that scummvm for android maintains this soft key to date...

cheers - and again, thanks for the project!

JJS

Ok, this is a real problem and I hope that it can be solved by setting the API level only.

Can you please try this version: http://jjs.at/temp/AGS_api11.apk

And if it doesn't have the desired behaviour, this one: http://jjs.at/temp/AGS_api8.apk

Unfortunately I don't have a device without hardware buttons and the emulator doesn't really cover this (there is a setting for deactivating the hardware buttons but it doesn't make the emulator show soft buttons).

davros

yes - first link api11 does the trick
menu button brings up 'keys' or 'exit game' - long press brings up soft keyboard

no other issues apparent

thank you!

davros

How stable are.you expecting this port to perform at this stage? As its pretty typical for me to be dumped out to of games and to the desktop when playing. Sometimes every 15-30 mins, then sometimes not at all

No clear pattern, I'm playing kings quest remakes mainly...

Joseph DiPerla

There is a new daily at jjs.at/daily . Released today. Seems like a lot has been done to the AGS engine and the Android port from what I could see from the github portal. I used it and all the games I have been playing still work pretty well. I haven't tried Resonance on my Device yet though. Davros, try it and see if it works well. :)
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

JJS

The main issue for stability should be multithreaded audio processing. You can disable that in the settings menu. But the newest daily build has an additional fix in that regard so your crash might (or might not) be fixed.

Can you enable "Log debug messages" in the settings menu and upload your logcat file when it crashes again? It contains all kind of system messages, so you might want to remove everything that was logged before AGS started.

TinaMaria

just started playing resonance on the android port of AGS - great job, can you tell the porters of scummvm and dosbox turbo how to do absolute mouse tracking please!? AGS works great with touch screens! Only problem is I can't seem to emulate a right click, not even a right click on my Asus transformer keyboard with mousepad! so cant examine anything! Any ideas? Thanks x

BigMc

You have to put one finger down and shortly after that another finger next to it.

TinaMaria

Quote from: BigMc on Sat 01/12/2012 01:20:19
You have to put one finger down and shortly after that another finger next to it.

Ah thanks - yeah can do it by tapping two fingers at once, doesn't always work though, so have to tap several times to get it to examine something! - would be good if right click emulation with a physical mouse could work, since android supports track pads froim docking keyboards etc and mice plugged into usb ports now! x

BigMc

Once you get the hang of it it always works. But yeah, would be better if physical right mouse buttons would also work.

TinaMaria

Yeah getting the hang of it now doesnt matter where you put the second finger - as long as the first finger is placed over the hotspot in question! Only other problem i've found is in resonance there's a lot of typing, like finding files, passwords on the mainframe etc. but it doesn't bring up the onscreen keyboard when needed, so always have to have the asus transformer physical keyboard docked when playing! I think omn some devices you can force the virtual keyboard up but doesn't seem to be a way on the asus.

JJS

Longpressing the "menu" button does not bring up the software keyboard?

TinaMaria

Quote from: JJS on Sun 02/12/2012 09:43:48
Longpressing the "menu" button does not bring up the software keyboard?

doesnt look like the asus transformer pad has a menu button! oh well hardly have my docking keyboard off it anyway! x

QuestingHero

I think I have Solved the Num Pad issue with Quest for Glory 2. I installed "Flit Keyboard", and the add-on "Flit NumPad Layout". This Keyboard alows you to have a Primary and Secondary Keyboard that you can swap on the fly, so I set the first one to qwerty and the secondary to num pad. I then set the Flit Keyboard transparency to about 70% so when I bring up the num pad in battle I can still see everything going on. I have not had a chance to fully test it, but it seems to do exactly what I was looking for. You do have to reassign the battle keys, but at least the layout is correct.

Hope this helps,

davros

cool - thanks for that! I have tried flit in QFG1 VGA through SCUMMVM but it doesn't respond... (despite the num pad being the default mapping for combat in this game) holding my breath that it will work for QFG 2, perhaps the AGS port responds differenty? - I'm just sitting around with the mirror, building stats in #1 as I've been wary of committing to the next game until I know it will work!

davros

tested the keys and did the trick

came acros an interesting problem though...

in qfg2, the 'special' icon doesnt work at all... all the others (talk, walk etc) do, but when i click on special (for walk/run/sneak/sleep etc) nothing happens

this is running off the most recent version which works fine on my computer, so I'm presuming it is something about the port?

i looked on the adg forums but didn't see anything about this.

is it possible that its an issue with this android port?

JJS

I can reproduce the problem. Pretty sure that it is because QFG2 moves the mouse cursor downwards onto the popped up action menu when selecting the "special" icon. If you then move the mouse up again it automatically closes that menu. This is exactly what happens on Android because the mouse cursor stays on the top of the screen under the finger.

If the "relative" mouse motion is selected in the engine settings this should not happen but of course the game becomes more cumbersome to play.

Not sure how to fix this but I will think about it some more.

davros

hey thanks for the feedback. will try relative - been managing under scumm - but would be great to know if you can think of a workaround!

ps was logging crashes despite not knowing how to compile/send, but did find that it seems quite game dependent. in kg1-3 a bit, on another game constantly, another not at all

if you still want the logs id appreciate a pointer for how to best compile for you?

cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk