[OLD-1] AGS engine Android port

Started by JJS, Thu 03/11/2011 20:18:29

Previous topic - Next topic

ner0

Quote from: EctoOne on Sat 24/05/2014 20:34:40
Hi, i just found this piece of gold and i'm so happy about it.
But i have one question. Is there a way to change the language of some games?
I'm mostly speaking of Maniac Mansion Deluxe which has a bunch of translation files i can choose form in the Windows Settings.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=44768.msg636475697#msg636475697

MrWood

I really love the app, but I have one problem: I can't save or load my games.

I assume for loading and Saving I have to use they Key Input which is activated by pressing the MENU button.

My problem is: I use a Android Tablet (BigBen Gametab One) on this tablet 4 Buttons are always there BACK, HOME, CURRENT APPS & MAPPING TOOL for the Controller. The MENU button sometimes is in the upper right and sometimes in the lower right corner, apps which dont use the MENU buttons don't have it at all. With AGS I cant find the MENU button.

How can I use the key input with my tablet?

Iceberg

Hi everyone!  Quick question:

I downloaded AGS Stream from Google Play.  I then replaced the apk file (AGS_2013-02-09_22-16-23.apk) with what appears to be the newest version (AGS_2013-12-14_10-25-44.apk).  I copied this right to the root /sdcard/.  Most games run just fine (everything from the AGDI and IA remakes to the Blackwell games), but Heroine's Quest and Quest for Infamy give me the error message "This game requires a newer version of AGS (3.3.0.1148).  It cannot be run".

Am I doing this correctly?  ???

davoker

Quote from: ner0 on Sat 14/12/2013 13:01:22
Quote from: davoker on Tue 29/10/2013 18:42:35
Hello, I have problems setting games Castilian, Castilian language in WinSetup wear, but when I run it on my tablet, the game always comes out in English;

As I can do to make you change the language, if I have put Castilian default?

Example: Maniac Mansion Deluxe - has multiple languages, select "Castilian" with WinSetup, keep the changes and copy the game to the tablet, I run in and out in English :S

thanks

P.S: translated with google, sorry

Edit:
fixed hehe thx
You should really read the Readme for this great app: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Android/README.md
Open AGS on your device and once at the game list, touch and hold (longclick) the game you want to configure then select "Preferences".
In your game preferences just change the "Game language" and you're all set.
LOL come later, I put it back and forget the option to change language, and I found this post haha

thank you very much!

google translator sorry!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Iceberg on Wed 16/07/2014 01:02:59
Hi everyone!  Quick question:

I downloaded AGS Stream from Google Play.  I then replaced the apk file (AGS_2013-02-09_22-16-23.apk) with what appears to be the newest version (AGS_2013-12-14_10-25-44.apk).  I copied this right to the root /sdcard/.  Most games run just fine (everything from the AGDI and IA remakes to the Blackwell games), but Heroine's Quest and Quest for Infamy give me the error message "This game requires a newer version of AGS (3.3.0.1148).  It cannot be run".

Am I doing this correctly?  ???

The problem is that 3.3.0.1148 was a beta version, that had several "updates" somewhere in between 14th November and 24th December. I am not really sure which was used for "Heroine Quest". Depending on that AGS_2013-12-14_10-25-44.apk may be a bit outdated.

The latest build I know was made by monkey_05_06 on 30th April 2014:
https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS_2014-4-30.apk

Iceberg

I tried it but get the same message.  I just realized, too, that's it's a slightly different error message for Quest for Infamy - that one says it needs 3.3.0.1160.

I will wait for a newer build.  Thanks for responding!  :grin:

Crimson Wizard

Something is wrong here. According to date of build AGS_2014-4-30.apk should be 3.3.0.1162.

Iceberg

Maybe I'm not doing it correctly?  I deleted the older apk file from /sdcard/ and replaced it with AGS_2014-4-30.apk.

Crimson Wizard

I am not an expert on Android, but I believe you must reinstall the application, not just put new apk it on SD card.
(Also, unless I am mistaken, APK is not needed to run the program and may be removed after installation)

I don't have any Android device at the moment, but I set up Android emulator, installed monkey_05_6's AGS apk, and tried running HQ there, and it worked fine.

Iceberg

It works!!!  :-D  I've got AGS_2014-4-30.apk installed and both HQ and QFI are working splendidly.  Thanks very much for your help, Crimson Wizard - I really appreciate it!  :-D

davoker

Quote from: sektor666 on Sat 05/10/2013 23:08:36
okay so... i got them working. i don't know what was the issue exactly, but i suspect that it might've been caused by installing the bundle versions over the retail ones, with some files being redundant. i deleted them completely and reinstalled from the bundle setup, and there are no ac2game.dat files in any of the game directories, just the exes. and now they work correctly (well apart from recurring random crashes, but i understand that's just something i have to deal with when using the android port), so it must've been a messed up installation.
I have the same problem with Legacy blackwell and Unbound in android, I get the error "you must first create and save game in the AGS Editor before you can use this engine;

the game has ac2game.dat and EXE, so I can not name the EXE to ac2game.dat: S

With Unbound blackwell equal, it seems problem files "partitioned":

Blackwell Legacy -> Blackwell1.exe - blackwell1.001 and blackwell1.002

Any other game that has partitioned files work well (I mention this because it seems curious, I doubt that's it xD);

As fixed the problem? I feel like I've given money, buy one for my tablet, travel a lot: S

Code: ags
agsgame.log (log created to run the game in android):

Adventure Game Studio v3.3 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2011 Chris Jones and 2011-2013 others
ACI version 3.3.0.1144

***** ENGINE STARTUP
Reading config file
Initializing allegro
Setting up window
Initializing game data
Game data file could not be found (what?)

I feel my English, google translator xD

P.D: Version AGS android -> AGS_2013-10-24_16-22-13.apk (http://jjs.at/daily/)
I saw this other version  -> http://jjs.at/daily/branches/release-3.3.0/ this is better? solve my problem?

Edit: LOL
the normal structure for games is:
SDCARD/AGS/Zak2
SDCARD / AGS / Gemini Rue

etc etc

with Blackwell Legacy is:

SDCARD / AGS / game files (xD)

Home AGS and go directly to the game, and it works, but I can no longer choose games, game is unique because it has ac2game.dat, you can not remove that file, it goes along with the exe, this is very rare, any solution?

Creator

I'm unfortunately getting yet another error. This is what happens when I click on a game. (My phone's a Galaxy Note 3.)

I've looked around on my phone and in Windows to see if I can allow write privileges to the card, but I have no idea how to get it to work. There's plenty of space on the card.
I've tried both the latest version at http://jjs.at/daily/ (which is AGS_2013-10-24_16-22-13.apk) and AGS_2014-4-30.apk (found at https://bitbucket.org/monkey0506/ags/downloads/AGS_2014-4-30.apk).

This seemed to start since the latest firmware update.

Edit - The latest update for my phone (4.4.2 - KitKat) actually disables write permissions for 3rd party apps onto the SD Card. I moved the games to device storage and now they work fine. Bit of a pain, but that's Google's fault.

Blackthorne

Iceberg - you've got QFI running on Android?  Shoot me a PM about that sometime, would ya?

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: davoker on Sat 26/07/2014 04:33:24
I have the same problem with Legacy blackwell and Unbound in android, I get the error "you must first create and save game in the AGS Editor before you can use this engine;

<...>

Home AGS and go directly to the game, and it works, but I can no longer choose games, game is unique because it has ac2game.dat, you can not remove that file, it goes along with the exe, this is very rare, any solution?

You need either ac2game.dat or *.exe, but not both.

Most probably ac2game.dat is just a renamed EXE.
This is my guess that exe is actually a raw engine. Please check how large it is. If it is around 2 MB in size, that's probably a Windows runner, not a game itself.
If it is so, then
1. delete EXE
2. rename ac2game.dat into GameName.exe, or GameName.ags (whichever you like better).

EDIT: I just checked my copy of Blackwell Unbound, and, actually, it is like I said. They ship both separate Windows engine (as exe) and separate game data (as ac2game.dat).

Game files must be put into AGS/GameName/ folder either on SD card or file storage.

Partitioned data should work fine (same as on Windows).

davoker

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 31/07/2014 21:13:47
Quote from: davoker on Sat 26/07/2014 04:33:24

<...>

You need either ac2game.dat or *.exe, but not both.

Most probably ac2game.dat is just a renamed EXE.
This is my guess that exe is actually a raw engine. Please check how large it is. If it is around 2 MB in size, that's probably a Windows runner, not a game itself.
If it is so, then
1. delete EXE
2. rename ac2game.dat into GameName.exe, or GameName.ags (whichever you like better).

EDIT: I just checked my copy of Blackwell Unbound, and, actually, it is like I said. They ship both separate Windows engine (as exe) and separate game data (as ac2game.dat).

Game files must be put into AGS/GameName/ folder either on SD card or file storage.

Partitioned data should work fine (same as on Windows).
I'll watch what he says, but he did everything and just works the way you explained above, however'm sure, and will comment as it was, thanks

MrWood

Do other people have the same problem I have? Is it gonna be fixed?

Jothie

Any trick to getting HQ to work?  I'm using the 2014-4-30 apk.  QFI works beautifully(occasional crash) but HQ returns the error "Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam.SetAchievementAchieved^1'"  when I try to start it

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Jothie on Wed 13/08/2014 20:01:59
Any trick to getting HQ to work? I'm using the 2014-4-30 apk.  QFI works beautifully(occasional crash) but HQ returns the error "Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'AGSteam.SetAchievementAchieved^1'"  when I try to start it
You need a AGSSteam plugin stub. Frankly I don't know how it works on Android (and whether any plugin work there at all). I hope someone else will comment on this.

Probably it's worth to ask game authors if they have a game version without Steam support.

Blackthorne

I've found QFI works the best with unthreaded audio. It seems to hang on me when that's on.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Blackthorne on Fri 15/08/2014 05:12:16
I've found QFI works the best with unthreaded audio. It seems to hang on me when that's on.
Threaded audio is found to be rather unstable, except for maybe on Windows (I hardly understand why). It caused crashes on particular Linux platforms, and, supposedly, cause problems on mobile ones.
A while ago I started to dig into this issue, but found that a large amount of engine logic should be revised in order to make it work safely. This is still WIP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk