Egress - The Test of STS-417

Started by Sughly, Sat 12/11/2011 07:42:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Sughly

Krams Design presents...

Egress is a short form sci-fi adventure game set in the outer reaches of space.

The story begins when you, the commander of a two man recon team, are sent hurtling into space during maintenance on an interplanetary probe. After a sudden attack from an black alien substance, you awake on a mysterious planet.

Where are you? How did you get there? And why is your partner screaming for help down the intercom…

Features include:
- Cinematic hand drawn, frame-by-frame 2D animation, including short intro and ending sequences
- Multiple endings designed to reflect the actions of the player

Screenshots:
(click on images for full resolution)

To download, follow the link from my Egress game page.

There is voice acting in the works, but due to a lack of time on my part I haven't been able to get it organised well enough (hence the ongoing delays 8)). In all honesty though it won't be ready for some time, so until then, please enjoy this version! I'll be sure to update this page as soon as I get a talkie edition completed.

Really looking forward to what everyone thinks! Enjoy! :D

EDIT: Please note that you can skip just about every cutscene and transition by pressing the 'ESC' key. Failing to have mentioned this in the how to play section was a great boo-boo on my part. Sorry for everyone who has endured frustration over this!

Article Links on Egress:
Gnome's Lair feature
IndieGames.com Freeware Game Pick
Rock, Paper, Shotgun feature
The Dead Pixel Post feature
PCGamer free PC game pick

Bogdan

Wow, this is really awesome.
I managed to
Spoiler
Get released by the aliens, but I still don't get how that panel puzzle works.
[close]
Magnificent graphics. :)

sthomannch

Beautiful!

Bogdan
Spoiler

probably the solution is in one of the clips, but it is too fast to see correctly. So I used the hammer. Found it not too far from this door
[close]
Got a second chance (marks where not too bad, but not sufficient, obviously)...

Na, now even released

CaptainD

Looks cool Sughly!  8)

The graphics and storyline look great, can't wait to try the game.

Ilyich

Congratulations on finally releasing it!

Played through it two times - great job! Loved the high-res graphics and dense, tense sci-fi atmosphere. The story was very good, always keeping things moving and suspensful and rounding everything nicely in the end, yet leaving some mystery. It felt similar in tone to the films of Duncan Jones (Moon and Source Code) and to The Dig (for obvious reasons), both of which, I think, is a good thing. :)

The music was also wonderful and along with the strategically placed sounds played a surprisingly big part in creating just the right ambience for the game.

Basically, it's a great, well polished short game with a potentially broad appeal (and by that I mean it's not only for the adventure gamers) and it makes me all the more excited about Anna's Room. ;)

Again - congratulations on your first release!

Sughly

Thanks for all the kind words guys, and thanks for playing! Wow, such nice words Ilyich! Really glad you enjoyed it though :D

Spoiler
As for the door puzzle it's kind of funny, for a long time I was worried I'd made it too obvious. But yeah, everyone has had trouble with it, all the testers too, soo... maybe in the end I actually didn't make it obvious enough! :P
[close]

Nedshi

This game was really well made- The graphics, music, and dialogue all really contributed to a great atmosphere, and some moments were truly creepy.  Also provided more than one moment where I was forced to say "What the heck is going on?"  (But in a good way).  I don't know how to make my text invisible (back to the forum FAQ for me) but my only criticism is with the puzzle that confused several of the other players as well-  I didn't like that there was no way to use logic and problem solving to find an answer.  Anyways, great short game.

Sughly

Thanks Nedhshi, glad you liked it! Haha, ahhh man in hindsight I really should have made that puzzle a little more obvious. There is logic there, it's just.... very well hidden apparently. A little too well hidden 8)

HandsFree

Yeah, the lock got me too. But I managed to see the end after one failure.
Is it possible to save the game? It's short, but not that short...

I liked the graphics, music and atmosphere. Very professional looking. Did not really understand what was going on though, but that's probably me (somehow I never understand sci-fi movies either).  ;)

Cogliostro

Creepy.  Atmospheric.  Gorgeous art.  You have a gift for picking the right music.  I've used incomptech.com and I would not have been able to match the scenes to the music the way you did.  And, of course, this is what sets the game's mood.

The commander is a nicely blank.  You don't think about it the first time you play through, but the next go around it really came out.  Having the option to SAVE or use the ESC key to skip all scenes would have been nice, since the game requires multiple plays.

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

NickyNyce

Short game, but very cool idea. The art was very nice and the music was well chosen too. The long wait between looking in each hole got to me a bit, I thought this could have been cut a bit shorter. I must admit, it took me a lot of tries before I picked the right hole, which compounded the wait. But over all I enjoyed it, good job.

EDIT: Skipping scenes = ESC button  ;)

Now it's all good... nice experience

Sughly

Thanks for the love guys! Glad you liked it! In hindsight I probably should have put in a save and load function. I just had it in my head that it was short form, but yeah I can understand it stumping people in parts and needing it.

Also for those getting frustrated with waiting on sections like you NickyNyce, most sections can be skipped with 'ESC' (which is something I kinda didnt really mention anywhere heh... oops). But there we go, now it's mentioned!

Armageddon

I liked it, very good atmosphere mostly conveyed with sound and long fades. I still never figured out the door panel puzzle.

Sughly

Updated the first post with a few links, with features on Gnome's Lair, IndieGames.com, and Rock, Paper, Shotgun! Woo, exciting!

Also thanks Armageddon, glad you enjoyed it! Lots of people have had trouble with the door panel, which is a lesson learnt from me. I really thought it would be too easy, so tried to disguise the answer as best I could. Seems I disguised a little TOO well 8). That being said, there are multiple ways of solving the puzzle.

-=Lisa=-

I don't get how Im supposed to open the door...

Spoiler

Jacobs is no help at all..
The only tool i have is the wrong one..
I think i might be able to open the panel somehow.. but how?
Randomly trying 100 combinations is not my thing...
[close]

sthomannch

See my comment above for one solution
Spoiler

the hammer is hidden in a hole. Examine the corner up and to the right of the door
[close]

Big GC

Quote from: -=Lisa=- on Fri 25/11/2011 17:56:33
I don't get how Im supposed to open the door...

Spoiler

Jacobs is no help at all..
The only tool i have is the wrong one..
I think i might be able to open the panel somehow.. but how?
Randomly trying 100 combinations is not my thing...
[close]

Yeah the logic on the door eludes me to.

Spoiler
as above there is a hole in the roof. I missed it the first time, but watch the room fade from dark to low light and you will see a glow coming from that hole.
I realise the panel is numbers. Each press of the top button gives you a symbol from 1-9 and the bottom the same but mirrored. But I think I am missing a numerical reference somewhere because nothing springs to mind. Will try again later....ish. Just use the hammer first time and try the puzzle next play through :)
[close]
Making a game - this should be easy......?

Sughly

Yeah I'm sorry for the frustration guys, people getting stuck on the light panel has become a pretty common issue with the game. It was slightly different to begin with, but then I thought it was TOO easy and tried to disguise the answer. Problem is it seems I disguised it TOO well!

For those that want a bit more help on it, here's a hint...
Spoiler
It is a number reference, and basically what the conversation with Jacobs tells you to do - pay close attention to the room - is about the best I can do without actually giving away the answer. There aren't that many things in the room after all!
[close]

For those that have given up, here's the solution...
Spoiler
The number of lights on the panel just refers to the number of lights in the room. The horizontal button represents horizontal lights, and the vertical button represents vertical lights. You have to include the light above the panel too, not just the ones around the door!
[close]

Hope that helps! Thanks for playing guys ;D

KodiakBehr

Simply a wonderful short-game!  I particularly enjoyed how you set up the ending!

I share the views of the above -- gorgeous, striking visuals and hauntingly beautiful music, and a door puzzle that was a real stretch (in my view).

Thank you for sharing this.

abibliophobe

This was great! Like Armageddon said, the fading and sound worked really well to create the atmosphere.
Spoiler
I especially liked how the ending makes you think of the aliens differently if you play through a second time (the first time I just assumed they were scary and wanted to eat me, the second time I wondered if they were benevolent). I guess it's similar to what Cogliostro was saying about reinterpreting the commander on the second go. I had the same problem as everyone else with solving the door puzzle the "good" way but finding out the answer from this thread for my second runthrough didn't detract from my enjoyment.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk