Night and Day (RON)

Started by HandsFree, Tue 20/12/2011 12:12:11

Previous topic - Next topic

HandsFree

A mysterious advertisement in The Realiser fails to shock the citizens of RON.
Is Elandra Desmond the only one that sees the danger facing Reality-on-the-Norm, or do the townspeople have their own agenda?
And how does the disappearance of Davy and Mika connect to it?

Night and Day is my first attempt at learning AGS.
Thanks to Renegade Implementor and Ponch for testing and advice!

Download the game here

Hope you like it. :)

m0ds

Congrats for releasing this HandsFree! And thank you for letting us show it at AdventureX :)

Ponch

I was happy to test this game. It really captures that classic RON feeling and features several familiar faces. Plus it has a nifty flashback.

If you've ever wondered what RON was about and why we old farts make such a fuss about it sometimes, this game is a perfect jumping on point. It has lots of references to the RON continuity but it's also careful to very accessible to newbies too.

This game is also a fine nostalgia trip for anyone who loved RON back in the day.

There's something for everyone is what I'm saying.  :D

Excellent work, Handsfree. I look forward to more games from you in the future.

SarahLiz

Yay, love me some RON!  This one sounds very promising...downloading now! (Although I should be Christmas shopping, darn you).  :P

CaptainD

A new RON game?!?  Can it really be true?

Ponch

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 20/12/2011 22:55:12

It is! And it's a good one too.  :D

CaptainD

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 20/12/2011 23:13:29
Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 20/12/2011 22:55:12

It is! And it's a good one too.  :D

Yup... apart from wishing the exits were more clearly indicated at the Yahtzee Store and the Church, I'm enjoying it so far.  I think I know what I need to do next... if I'm wrong you may see me in the Hints section!

cat

So, I guess I completed the game, sadly in the final cutscene it crashed:

room38 line 5 Error: MergeObject: unable to merge object due to color depth differences

I hope I didn't miss a lot. Oh, I had the game running with DirectDraw 5, the other didn't work at all (probably because the laptop is quite old)

Besides that, a few comments about the game:

+ Interesting story
+ Some very clever puzzles
+ very good music
+ There was definitely put some effort in details

- difficult exits, especially in the shop
- the intro should be skippable, when I wanted to load a save game I had to wait for the intro to finish before I could load
- the crash at the end  :'(
- a rather directionless start, took some time to get into the story.

I left you a comment on the game page  :)

HandsFree

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked (most of) it. You are now the second player that commented on the exit in Yahtzee's, so maybe I should give that another look.
You don't have to watch the intro everytime though. When you are on the screen with the RON-sign you can load a game.

At what point did the game crash? I never experienced that, nor do I know what the MergeObject thing is.
You are probably right in that it has to do with the driver settings, but if you can be more specific about where/when it happens I can try asking for help in the tech forum (and maybe I can send a save, so you can see the ending...).

edit: oops sorry. Room 38 line 5. I'll check
edit 2: room 38 is the end credits screen, so you only missed that Renegade Implementor and Ponch got credited for testing and Cole Porter for the Night and Day song.

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Sun 25/12/2011 21:13:49
- the intro should be skippable, when I wanted to load a save game I had to wait for the intro to finish before I could load

Move the mouse cursor to the top of the page at the Welcome to RON sign, the load game icon will be there.

HandsFree

I've uploaded a new version that fixes a few errors, like the crash Cat mentioned (that only occured using DirectDraw 5), adds labels to some of the exits and makes the introduction skippable.

See here.

steptoe

Has Elandra been on the stretching rack  :=
It's not over until the fat lady sings..

HandsFree

Yes, because of the cartoonic backgrounds scaling is quite a nightmare. Scaled down under 85% Elandra becomes a unidentifiable lump of pixels, so I chose the lesser problem and made her look big in some areas.

steptoe

Yes, been there.. okey dokey  ;)
It's not over until the fat lady sings..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk